Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle Penalty

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Weren’t we denied a penalty recently due to it hitting a player’s body before hand recently? Someone help me out.

Honestly, we’ve had plenty of woeful decisions go against us. However, if that decision had gone against us in the manner it did, with the last kick of the game in a key European match which could very well be the difference between moving forward in the tournament, I’d consider giving it all up.

I’m not sure how people can say it’s not that bad, it’s utterly atrocious and smacks of total incompetence or something worse. Take your toon hating specs off for a second and imagine that was us.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Weren’t we denied a penalty recently due to it hitting a player’s body before hand recently? Someone help me out.

Honestly, we’ve had plenty of woeful decisions go against us. However, if that decision had gone against us in the manner it did, with the last kick of the game in a key European match which could very well be the difference between moving forward in the tournament, I’d consider giving it all up.

I’m not sure how people can say it’s not that bad, it’s utterly atrocious and smacks of total incompetence or something worse. Take your toon hating specs off for a second and imagine that was us.
Van Dijk v Liverpool at home. Was similar to the one given last night, also shouldn't have been a penalty according to the laws.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The handball has always been a nightmare. Worse now you can inspect every part of it with VAR.

If it was me I’d say anything that directly hits a hand is a penalty. That way it’s black and white ( 😂 ) and consistent.
That won’t ever be the rule because it would mean players would just aim for a defenders hand every time. They’d just flick it up.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Who cares. Newcastle got away with a ridiculous goal versus Arsenal so it’s Karma.

We had three worse decisions in one game v Spurs last season, a game that had we won could have propelled us to the champions league. I’m loving the crying geordies.
Whilst I agree it’s funny… I also look at it and imagine the same thing happening to us… as it probably will against a ‘big’ club in the coming weeks… it won’t be so funny then…

The issue here, isn’t really how funny it is, moreover how this kind of suspiciously bias decision in favour of ‘big’ clubs is utterly undermining the game… even more so as these decisions are apparently justifiable via flawed technology being employed to ensure ‘transparency’ - it hit his hand… yes, but the interpretation of a flawed rule, using flawed slow mo tech is frankly ruining football. . . Right now, things are worse than they’ve ever been, bad refs or no.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In the PL that wouldn’t be given, because they’ve made clear an interpretation of the law that says if it strikes the hand after a deflection from another part of the body, they will not give it. (Though Wolves might question this after the one Luton were still given)

In UEFA competitions they do not make a distinction for such a deflection (as of now), so if the officials think he’s making himself big to stop the cross, then it IS a penalty.

Suggesting it was given through bias towards the established big club, seems stupid, given that they’d had two opportunities in the preceding minutes, to give a penalty if they were so inclined.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Can somebody please enlighten me regarding the handball law? Is it in the law that it's not handball if it ricochets off the body or is that an interpretation that PGMOL is now applying (selectively)?

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
That won’t ever be the rule because it would mean players would just aim for a defenders hand every time. They’d just flick it up.
Not sure they would, that would be quite a tricky skill to pull off and much of the time the defender would get arm out the way. Then the forward looks stupid for just giving the ball away when they could otherwise create/have a goal scoring opportunity.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Dunk v Luton was not worse. We were 2-0 up against a shit side in a league match. This was the 98th minute of a crucial Champions League fixture away at one of the biggest sides in the world, on the verge of one of the biggest wins in their history.

The OP was talking about whether decisions like that would be given in the PL, so it's correct to compare it to the decision against Luton. For the point he was making, it's irrelevant whether that game was big or not.

Separate to that - are PSG, a club that started in the 70s, one of the biggest sides in the world? Not for me Clive.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
To be fair he hasn’t bottled it, he didn’t give it, I don’t see how the VAR ref is under pressure?
The VAR didn't give it. The ref watched the replays at VAR's request and then gave it. Looked like a bit of a bottle job to me but, then again, if his interpretation of the law is that it's handball if the arm is away from the body irrespective of the ricochet then he gave what he saw.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
According to Howard Webb’s rules, that wouldn’t be given as a penalty in the PL as it came off his body first and in fairness, there have been instances like that where a penalty hasn’t been given after the VAR check because of that.

Was quite funny mind. Difficult watch that last night, two incredibly unlikeable sides.

It was a recommendation that this was adopted by UEFA this season but they decided not too.

The wording was: 'No handball office shall be called on a player where the ball has deflected from their own body, particularly where the ball has not moved towards the goal as a result of the deflection'.

Even with this wording the word 'particularly' gives room for interpretation. Who rights these rules.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The barcodes might be upset but the only one likely to lose their head is the ref.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It was a recommendation that this was adopted by UEFA this season but they decided not too.

The wording was: 'No handball office shall be called on a player where the ball has deflected from their own body, particularly where the ball has not moved towards the goal as a result of the deflection'.

Even with this wording the word 'particularly' gives room for interpretation. Who rights these rules.
Not you hopefully :ROFLMAO:

Write, right or rite.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
In the PL that wouldn’t be given, because they’ve made clear an interpretation of the law that says if it strikes the hand after a deflection from another part of the body, they will not give it. (Though Wolves might question this after the one Luton were still given)

In UEFA competitions they do not make a distinction for such a deflection (as of now), so if the officials think he’s making himself big to stop the cross, then it IS a penalty.

Suggesting it was given through bias towards the established big club, seems stupid, given that they’d had two opportunities in the preceding minutes, to give a penalty if they were so inclined.
Yet they have ignored that recommendation in the EPL several times this season, including the Dunk penalty, so they don't seem to be in agreement as to what constitutes handball.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

The "particularly........" part is completely unnecessary and confusing. If it's categorically not handball if it has deflected of the body the direction of subsequent travel is irrelevant. I hope these aren't the same people developing the new VAR communication protocol for Webb and his band of merry men.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012

I just posted about this on the CJ campions league thread. I think the rules in uefa comps are different.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Well yes. The game then stops being about trying to score, more about trying to get it in the box then get it to hit someone's arm

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here