Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Zealand v Bahrain

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
World Cup Play Off, second leg. 0-0 in Bahrain for the first leg, now it is all up for grabs at the Cake Tin in windy Wellington.

I'll be tuning in at 7am tomorrow morning. Come on the All Whites! :clap2:

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
I bet New Zealand is WHITE HOT with expectation.

Or maybe not.

Perhaps suprisingly, this has captured the public imagination. It's a full 30,000 sellout. They have even brought in extra seats to try and satisfy demand.

The crowd will be bigger than for the recent All Blacks v Italy series. It's good to see rugby knocked down a peg or two.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
When I was out there I played football with someone who played for NZ against Brazil in the '82 World Cup. He was f***ing shit. Although he could head the ball about 40 yards.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
didnt they get properly hammered one game in 82? I remember them being there but cannot remember their group.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
They were in with the Soviets, the Jocks, and Brazil. Lots of fun, and lots of goals conceded, but they did manage to put two past the Jocks. Must have been Alan Rough in goal.

That's right. Weren't a couple of theirs Jock ringers as well I recall?

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
In 82 they had a wonderful white Adidas kit with black pinstripes.

They also had a young Winton Rufer playing for them - a legend in the Bundesliga over many years for Werder Bremen.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's an odd weekend for NZ sport.

The country goes mad about the All Whites. Meanwhile, rugby takes a back seat while the All Blacks play Italy...

...in the San Siro, where the locals are going mad for the All Blacks and soccerball is taking a bit more of a back seat.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
:lolol: To be fair, he must be getting on in years, whoever it was. Wasn't Brian Turner, was it?

No it wasn't, but yes he is getting on a bit. He also seemed to have an alcohol problem, which didn't help.

That's right, there were quite a few that had naturalised in NZ after emigrating from the UK. Footballing no-names though.

Indeed, it was one of these, he used to play for Forfar I think.

The country goes mad about the All Whites.

Their basketball team is called the Tall Blacks, which is mildly amusing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here