New York

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Now, before anyone starts, I'd like to clarify that my holiday is all booked, arranged and paid for, so I don't need any advice from the citizens of NSC-land in that respect. :)

Basically, I'm going to New York for 5 days from next Saturday, and I'm just wondering if anyone who's been there has any suggestions for things to do/see beyond the obvious (Empire State, Statue Of Liberty etc...), things that one might not find in the average guide book.

Anyone?

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Gotta go to the East Village at night for the bars, as well as an excellent kebab house there after the beers where the Turks in residence love talking about English Football (can't remember where it is exactly though!!) :dunce:

Minghawk

Jul 5, 2003
if it's your first visit there, do the circle line - it's a ferry that goes right around the island of manhattan and as well as seeing the famous skyline, bridges etc, you get a really good idea of the lie-of-the-land.

empire state is a must
ground zero
soho is cool
some great bars in greenwich village

just don't crick your neck looking up at too many skyscrapers when walking the streets :)

enjoy

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
go to HOOTERS
hooters.jpg

Last edited:

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
Go to the Rodeo Bar.

Great Live Music, and fantastic food. Just don't eat the weird yellow stuff that came as a side with mashed potato, it was a bit 'orrible.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Get yeself 'connected' by picking up a copy of Donnie Brasco's autobiog and checking out some of the wise guy hang outs he name-checks in Little Italy and the Upper East Side.

:smokin:

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Go down to City Hall and then walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Very good views back across Manhattan. If you don't want to get caught in the tourist run over to liberty island, take the Staten Island ferry which goes near (but not as close to) the statue as the tourist boats but is totally free and gives good views of the manhattan. Radio City Tour is an interesting diversion. Do the Empire State buliding at dusk so you get to see the City start to light up.

The best tip to give though is to walk around. You'll always find something different when you walk rather than use the subway/buses.

Finally, if you haven't booked a broadway show I can highly recommend Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Based on the Michael Caine/Steve Martin film and very funny. I enjoyed it and hate the normal show type stuff.

Tim

Tony 'The lizard' Bloom
Feb 18, 2006
Haywards Heath
Minghawk said:
if it's your first visit there, do the circle line - it's a ferry that goes right around the island of manhattan and as well as seeing the famous skyline, bridges etc, you get a really good idea of the lie-of-the-land.

empire state is a must
ground zero
soho is cool
some great bars in greenwich village

just don't crick your neck looking up at too many skyscrapers when walking the streets :)

enjoy

100% agree :thumbsup:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Take your sneakers and walk everywhere is the best tip anyone can give you.

As well as the regular tourist things these were my favourite things to do:

The Metropolitan Museum (you don't have to pay if you don't want) and head straight for the temple of Dendur (and admire the view of Central Park) and then the Central Park Zoo (kids zoo but loads of fun spying on the neurotic New York nannies and Mums)

Century 21 for shopping (used to be my second home) its right next to the WTC (now sadly ground zero)

Have a typical massive New York brunch of waffles or french toast or steak and eggs and cawwwfee - my suggestion would be the Cupping Room on W.Broadway (http://www.cuppingroomcafe.com) you just never know who you'll see and its a great place to get sustenance for wandering up W. Broadway to the Village.

Walk up to and past 110th Street IN THE DAY!! - thats another side of New York entirely its wonderful and disconcerting but must be done (catch the bus back down the east side M100 I think?)

Visit Zabars on the Upper West side (if you're foodies) its a mecca for cheese, meat and everything - its a great place to go and get some snacks for a picnic in Central Park.

Go to a Pick-a-Bagel and try a smoked salmon/cream cheese bagel as its just cooked - flipping fantastic!

If there are any girls in your group - go and have a pedicure from any number of asian shops, my local was feet of fancy on 75th and 2nd - they are brilliant and cheap!

If I think of anything else I'll pop back...

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
Totally Agree..... I got back from New York for the third time in June, and this time around we took the circle line boat trip. What a fantastic tour, the tourguide knew everything there was to know about New York and kept us interested with facts about the Big Apple for the whole 3 hours. You might think that 3 hours is a long time, but when you go round the whole island, there are so many landmarks to see, the skyline for one, and you go under all the 7 bridges connected to New York. And you also see The House that Ruth Built, YANKEE STADIUM.

I can recommend heading up state to Yankee Stadium, first time we went there, we joined a tour of the whole stadium, it was fantastic and we got to walk around the pitch. this time aroun, we plumped for a game, and it is a fantastic experience. The zest for life and baseball that the New Yorkers have is incredible.

Central Park is a definate must, we walked round the edge of it all, it took us half a day but it was fantastic, oh and if you've got young kids, Central Park Zoo is amazing. If you've seen the film HITCH, thats where they filmed a few scenes.

Empire state building is an absolute must, although try to remember to get there early as it takes at least 2 hours in rush times to get to the top. If you wanna go for that extra wow factor, and you don't mind heights get a ticket for the extra few floors. A normal ticket takes you to the 86th Floor for unbelievable views, but again this is quite crowded once you're up there. Get an extra ticket and you take a rickety old elevator up to the 102nd floor, this is an unknown entity to most tourists, and is usually empty, and despite being enclosed in glass, u get some great pictures from up there.

Head down to the financial district and to Ground Zero as well, you will get to see the big metal bull there, and also where the stock exchange now takes place. As for Ground Zero, it is very sad and quite upsetting, and helps put perspective of the atrocities that happened on 9-11-01. I fully believe that despite the morbid aura around the area, it is a must see as you get to see what actaully occured that day on a fuller scale.

Finally, Macys is the best shopping arena in New York IMHO, take your missus into there, and she'll want to move in.....or you'll just lose her. Could be a motive !!!! :) Another great shop is Toys R Us on Times Square. Inside the shop it has a full scale 80 FOOT tall big wheel. Being a big kid in that shop is great !!!!!

Anyway, have an awesome time, and remember too many cameras is PERFECT. Any questions just ask, and if i think of any other facts to tell you, ill post back !!!!

Enjoy your time !!!!!

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
Oh yeah, if you are going onto the liberty island tour, go to Ellis Island. It is where millions of immigrants passed through the golden gates to get to New York in the 1890's- 1950's. Could be boring for small children, but is very interesting on your own.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
'Daffys, Clothing Bargains for Millionaires' on 5th Avenue and Broadway is an essential stop on any CM trip to New Jack City. Catwalk labels at ridiculously low prices. Forget paying for sightseeing trips, save your money for Daffys.

:clap2:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Don't buy anything- souvenirs, camera batteries, t-shirts, drinks etc within about five blocks of Times Square.

Made the mistake of asking for a camera battery close to there once and before I could say another word, the shop guy had ripped open a packet of batteries, fitted one in my camera and then tried to charge me approximately £40 for the privilege.

All rip offs, admire the views (and the Naked Cowboy), but don't get your cash out until you've walked a few blocks away.

I've been in December (stunning Christmas lights and vast quantities of Miracle On 34th Street style snow) and in May when it was hot. Couldn't complain about either.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
edna krabappel said:
admire the views (and the Naked Cowboy)

I caught a brief glimpse of him the last time I was there in 2004, but it was snowing heavily and he was running across Times Square towards what seemed to be an underground car park (presumably his car was in said car park and he wanted to warm up). I look forward to getting a better look this time :)

Thanks to all of you for your advice and recommendations. I love New York when I visited it before, and there's some stuff that has been suggested in this thread which I'm sure is going to make for a great trip this time around as well (and not the last visit I'll ever make there, I'm sure).

Once again, thank you all very much for your contributions :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports