Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] New York Travel advice please

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Wife and I got a 2 day stop over in New York in August.
Will be there for ½ day, then full day then ½ day.

Wifey wants to do Statue of liberty, Tour of the city, Empire state building and Ground Zero.

Is this achievable?

Ground Zero, is this a place you can just get to an wander around or do you have to go on a tour?

Would appreciate any advice for those that been there .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Very whistle stop. Don’t do the Statue of Liberty. Instead:

Top Of The Rock observatory, book ahead to get a just before sunset time, seeing everything including the Empire State lit up and the sunset.
The 9-11 Museum and memorial.
One World Trade Centre.

@Herr Tubthumper will be along to say visit two very expensive restaurants in West Village.

IMG_4289.png

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Have you booked a hotel?
Check the hop on hop off bus route.
Statue. Do the free Staten Island Ferry. Takes you close to see the statue.
Empire State Building is a few hours. Book just to make sure.
Ground Zero is something you can walk around.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
there Is a New York pass which gives you the hop on hop off bus plus tickets to most attractions - we thought it was excellent value. on first day we had done Statue of Liberty (didn’t go up it but did museum) plus ground zero (dint do museum). And by early afternoon we’re up a Central Park. so You can do lots in 2 days

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Don’t do Empire State Building - do The Edge at Hudson Yards. Much better, more room - better views and of course you see the Empire State Building itself

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Top Of The Rock observatory, book ahead to get a just before sunset time, seeing everything including the Empire State lit up and the sunset.
One World Trade Centre.

@Herr Tubthumper will be along to say visit two very expensive restaurants in West Village.

View attachment 161757
I think he’d recommend The Blind Tiger ale House.
I was there with a friend who drinks lager top and I took him to this very famous beer bar. He asked for a Budweiser and I called him a wanker. The barman corrected me and said…. “No we don’t call people wankers in here……. They’re jerkoffs”

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

One World Trade Centre.

Agreed. Top of the Rock is arguably better than Empire State Building as you then get the ESB in all your photos and the daylight/sunset cross-over is excellent advice. There's also (certainly was a few years ago) a very good rooftop bar at 230 5th Ave where you get superb views of the city and the Empire State Building. Chelsea Market is a great spot to get a wide variety of foods. The High Line walk is a really enjoyable way to reach it in good weather. Also, hiring bikes is a great way to see and enjoy the vast Central Park. Greenwich Village Food and culture tour was a lot of fun too. Seem to remember that starts around the Blind Tiger area.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think he’d recommend The Blind Tiger ale House.
I was there with a friend who drinks lager top and I took him to this very famous beer bar. He asked for a Budweiser and I called him a wanker. The barman corrected me and said…. “No we don’t call people wankers in here……. They’re jerkoffs”

We love at their insults. Douchebag :lolol:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Years since I went, but agree don’t bother with the Statue of Liberty.
Been two times on short trips, did the Empire State first time, Staten Island, Bowery, China town on the first, second did Central Park, twin towers memorial and a helicopter ride up the Hudson river.
Usual American guff on the helicopter ride, with some guy punching his fist saying we’re gonna “take one up the Hudson“ had me worried.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed. Top of the Rock is arguably better than Empire State Building as you then get the ESB in all your photos and the daylight/sunset cross-over is excellent advice. There's also (certainly was a few years ago) a very good rooftop bar at 230 5th Ave where you get superb views of the city and the Empire State Building. Chelsea Market is a great spot to get a wide variety of foods. The High Line walk is a really enjoyable way to reach it in good weather. Also, hiring bikes is a great way to see and enjoy the vast Central Park. Greenwich Village Food and culture tour was a lot of fun too. Seem to remember that starts around the Blind Tiger area.

I typed The High Line, them deleted it …. as the trip is short.

IMG_4291.png

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Another recommendation for the Edge here.

To be honest you'll be fine doing most of that. If strapped for time take the Staten Island ferry early in the day past the statue, come straight back to see the city skyline views, then over to Ground Zero. If you're really strapped for time don't do the museum (you know the story), save yourself queuing and just see the memorial which is spectacular and emotional in itself.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agreed on all points, although Central Park is easily walkable (approx 10k to loop the whole park perimeter).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Another vote for the High line, it was easily the best thing.

If you like art, Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) is a must.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
there Is a New York pass which gives you the hop on hop off bus plus tickets to most attractions - we thought it was excellent value. on first day we had done Statue of Liberty (didn’t go up it but did museum) plus ground zero (dint do museum). And by early afternoon we’re up a Central Park. so You can do lots in 2 days
Great advice, definitely go for this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here