Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] New Year honours 2024

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Fried breakfasts for under a tenner; pints for under £4; historic buildings preserved for public use; takings of £1.9 billion pounds though.
And a guaranteed fight whether(spoons) you want some or not (wot).

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
They never sell out of date beer (which would be illegal). They originally made their fortune by buying up short-dated beer and selling it cheaply and quickly, though according to CAMRA that’s no longer their business model, they just use their buying clout to drive very good deals.
Very good deals for who? certainly not decent small brewers who they force to either basically sell at cost or not at all.
They are part of the reason that other pubs don't bother with decent cask as they can't compete

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Don't disagree with regards to the food although they cater to a market that might otherwise not be able to enjoy a meal out in difficult times.

With regards to beer, they are far from perfect but when many pubs are moving away from cask their pubs provide a good selection of well kept beers. I've had much worse real ales from large pub companies that should do better considering their prices.

A wetherspoon wouldn't be my choice for a night out but I do feel they are an asset to our ever declining town centres.
It is the fulcrum, focus, and the shite heap covered in the flies of the fighters and cash-in-hand wankas of Faversham. Last time (first time) I set foot in there I was 'asked outside' by three separate heaps of human filth in the space of half an hour.

Well, it means the old bill can keep an eye on just the one venue in town, I guess, so knighthoods all round!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Also Howard Wilkinson, ex-Albion winger (1966 -1971), now League Managers Association chair, OBE for services to football and charity.
He was on the wing first game I ever saw. :bowdown:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And?

Amazon sell stuff really, really cheap, employ shedloads (warehouse loads) of UK staff in some deprived areas (including Croydon), and have ridiculous 'takings'.

I wouldn't get excited if their UK execs got gongs.
I wouldn't either - but, for example, Weatherspoon's as a cheap service is also a good 'un. Good choices of beer, good prices .......what's not to like? Oh ............. he doesn't like the EU. Devil incarnate on NSC then.
Just not the rest of the world, eh?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I wouldn't either - but, for example, Weatherspoon's as a cheap service is also a good 'un. Good choices of beer, good prices .......what's not to like? Oh ............. he doesn't like the EU. Devil incarnate on NSC then.
Treats workers like shit on his shoe, but if he's a hero to you, so be it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Unless you are a lot rougher and tougher than I imagine, you wouldn't last five minutes in our local 'Spoons.

Some cheapness is wonderful. This (below) is. 'Spoons isn't.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Very good deals for who? certainly not decent small brewers who they force to either basically sell at cost or not at all.
They are part of the reason that other pubs don't bother with decent cask as they can't compete
load of cobblers, small breweries aren't forced to sell through them.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Worse than Costa Coffee, MacDonalds, or the carers in the care industry? OK ...... believe what you want. You will, regardless.
The leaders of these companies don't style themselves as a "(wo)man of the people".

Sad that many don't see through shit like this, but... c'est la vie.

Not long to go before the despicable Tories and their cronies are gone. Happy New Year!

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Very good deals for the consumer. Last time I was in my local Wetherspoons they were selling a number of ales at under £3 a pint. I don’t accept for a moment that they stop other pubs from selling good beer. In fact they help to promote cask ale which has a beneficial knock-on effect. There are many pubs in my town selling a good range of ales.
It is the fulcrum, focus, and the shite heap covered in the flies of the fighters and cash-in-hand wankas of Faversham. Last time (first time) I set foot in there I was 'asked outside' by three separate heaps of human filth in the space of half an hour.

Well, it means the old bill can keep an eye on just the one venue in town, I guess, so knighthoods all round!
You’re not selling Faversham to me, I’m afraid. Not sure it’s the fault of the pub though. Presumably if the brutish denizens of Faversham weren’t there they’d be somewhere else in the town. I occasionally visit two Wetherspoons pubs, one in Eastbourne and one in Harrow when I’m visiting family. I’ve never had a bad experience m'self. Cheap beer, cheap basic pub grub if the need strikes. No televised football though which, in the case of Faversham at least, is probably a good thing.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
and Truss has announced her honours list at the same time
Novelist Shirley Conran - the only non-political figure on the list - also becomes a dame, for services to mathematics education as founder of the charity Maths Anxiety Trust.

If she had a mate that could do sums why didn’t she give her a bell and get her to check her homework before she launched her budget?!

I might’ve been able to still pay my mortgage!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
They never sell out of date beer (which would be illegal). They originally made their fortune by buying up short-dated beer and selling it cheaply and quickly, though according to CAMRA that’s no longer their business model, they just use their buying clout to drive very good deals.
Well said.
Never let bias get in the way of facts.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Never mind moaning about Sir Tim of Wetherspoons ( I guess you can afford expensive beer and dining) let’s instead trumpet to the hills the good news that our own chairman Tony Bloom has got a gong… I don’t hold with honours myself but I am sure he will be delighted. Good luck to him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here