Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New TV - flat screen or curved?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can anyone actually explain to me the POINT of having a bent TV screen ? Seriously, I don't geddit.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Curved is the new plasma. Within a year or so they'll be laughed at.
Eh? Plasma screens are still the best screens there are. Unless the latest OLEDs have had the errors fixed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Can anyone actually explain to me the POINT of having a bent TV screen ? Seriously, I don't geddit.
You'll look cool in front of an easily pleased gathering.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
apparently to make the film/show more immersive (pull you in) make you feel like you are actually there

See that's the theory I've heard. But its not like the screen is bent AROUND you is it. You don't look to your left and see the TV there wrapped around you. Its bobbins.

I had a good look at one in Hills a while back, and was thoroughly underwhelmed. I arrived at the conclusion that just like 3D a couple of years ago, bent screens are just another expensive gimmick that will die on its arse before long. And they look pretty stupid when they're wall mounted. Happy days though, because they've brought down the price of all the proper gimmick-free TV's.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You'll look cool in front of an easily pleased gathering.

I guess thats the theory. "Oooh, you've got one of those bent tellys, lets have a look".

I'd be mildly embarrassed to put it through its paces and attempt to sell its benefits.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
See that's the theory I've heard. But its not like the screen is bent AROUND you is it. You don't look to your left and see the TV there wrapped around you. Its bobbins.

I had a good look at one in Hills a while back, and was thoroughly underwhelmed. I arrived at the conclusion that just like 3D a couple of years ago, bent screens are just another expensive gimmick that will die on its arse before long. And they look pretty stupid when they're wall mounted. Happy days though, because they've brought down the price of all the proper gimmick-free TV's.

3d was poor and failed which I am glad about because it made me feel sick when watching it
curved TV's (bent) are just poor, I work a lot in people's houses and see a lot of TV's and these curved ones look terrible yes the picture is very good but you can get very good picture quality on a normal flat tv which is Ultra HD. just companies wanting to make more and more money

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Exactly - the new "roll-up" screens will be out by then.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Can't believe curved screens are anything more than a fad. Certainly no good unless you're sat dead centre in front of them.

I remember when they first came out they got slated for being just that, a fad. I'm not so sure now, but they are an over inflated price and they will come down on that. I'd go flat screen until they are around the £500 mark, which they will be in the next couple of years. I bought the flat screen some two weeks ago, 48", UHD, Smart, all mod cons and Samsung. For now I'd recommend flat screen.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I was going to be another one to say 'eh, what are you talking about...' I see enough have already got there first though. My 42 Pano plasma is coming up to 10 years old and still very happy with the picture.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here