Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Striker - Tony Bloom

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Hardly fair when he's giving his all while playing out of position for the team.

Hold on, I thought he was out of position when played out wide??? Is he now out of position up front(where all the lovers said he should be) as well??? Why can't people just admit, he is not very good. I know it's not right to slag off your own players, but you can't keep burying your head in the sand. If Barnes is our no 1 option up front, we are screwed because he ain't up to it and the fact he scores a goal now and then(not this season) doesn't change a thing......Man does what he gets paid for (occasionally) shock horror!!! , springs to mind.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
he provided the assists for Andrews v Sheff W and for Crofts v Forest

He may well have done. But he was playing as a striker. He should be scoring, not assisting.

Crofts goal vs Forest was a result of our striker completely missing the ball and a player lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
Barnes is a good honest footballer who sadly will never fire us to the promised land, wouldn't like to see him go but we really need someone who can convert a better percentage of chances.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
He could get 2 hat tricks & it wouldn't be good enough for some.

But it would be and he won't. That's my point, he scores now and then, big deal. That is his job. If PIG chucked as many in his own net as Barnes misses sitters, we would all be calling for him to be hung up from the cross bar. But he doesn't because he is a good goalkeeper, which is what the club pay him to be. Fact is Oscar has subbed Barnes every game he has started (I think) and dropped him every game Ulloa has been available for. Think that tells us all we need to know.

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
anybody that believes Barnes will ever be up to the job is either his mother or clinically insane, that said he's all we've got so I'll be cheering him on until we can do better.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Barnes may be a better player if he was played as part of a strike pair ?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

Could say the same about Ulloa and CMS for that matter, both Gus and Oscar seem happy to have the main striker play largely without a strike partner.

I think Barnes or CMS would love to get a run of games alongside Ulloa. Of course it helps if they are all fit. Having all three available would seem like utter luxury.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now

This - he has never done well as a lone striker. When he first signed he was paired with (I think) Murray or Forster and did well, but on the occasions he played as a lone striker he was poor. Nothing has changed.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
He fitted Gus style and system well but doesn't seem to be the type of player Oscar wants.

Not saying he wants shot of him but the system Oscar prefers doesn't have the same withdrawn role that Barnes played under Gus and also he only plays one central striker.

Barnes can't play that role effectively.... In fact we only have one player that can and I can't see Oscar changing his whole system just to fit in Barnes.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
But he was playing as a striker. He should be scoring, not assisting.

That might be the stupidest thing i've ever read. There is such a thing as 'teamwork', you are aware? OR should every striker not bother to create a goal for their team but just score themselves?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
If we are going to get a striker then it will be today now the international break is over. I still think it will be Harry kane

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
We play a lone striker. Ulloa can play that role. CMS, Hoskins, Barnes cannot, none of them fit into the way we play. They won't fit in however fit they are. They will never fit in. They are pretty pointless players for us given our system. If we are going to stick with this system we need to swap them for players who can play the lone striker role or we need a new system into which they will fit but I can't see that anytime soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here