Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] New stadium plans at Birmingham City

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
World class venue in League One ...

St Andrews is falling down, have not been able to get safety certificate to open it all for a while, re I believe steel roof parts that either need replacing or strengthening

Was at Burton for what I think turned out to be 'arry's last game as a manager one Friday night, Burton won two one
Not sure where you are getting your information from. Nothing wrong with the roof at all, it was the girders under the lower tiers that were the problem, and the stadium has been fully open for several months now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The new site is 60 acres, with plans to build something on the same lines as the Etihad campus. The same team that designed the Etihad campus is already on board, I understand. There will be room for things like the training grounds, hotels, entertainment venues etc. It’s certainly ambitious, they also want to get an NFL franchise, hence the Tom Brady connection. There’s an existing station adjacent too, Adderley Park, handy given that Brum to ‘London’ (sort of) will be down to 46 minutes by HS2.

To put it into context, the current St Andrew’s site is 7 acres. It’s not clear what will happen with that as it has not been sold as part of the deal. Could go for housing, or maybe kept on to be used for the women’s team?
What could possibly go...right?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
As someone whose father was a died-in-the wool Bluenose, and whose first game was seeing Trevor Francis make his debut, Birmingham City will always be my 'second team'

This is exciting news.

Some parts of Brum have seen huge improvements, but there are huge swathes that need massive investment and this is one - and the club itself has for too long been a plaything for the type of owner that is 100% the opposite of Bloom.

Let's wait and see.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I’ve never fully grasped how BCFC are a relatively small-middling club compared to rivals Aston Vanilla in such a populous city. (Admittedly I’ve never really looked into it)

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I’ve never fully grasped how BCFC are a relatively small-middling club compared to rivals Aston Vanilla in such a populous city. (Admittedly I’ve never really looked into it)
They are a huge club, the very definition of a sleeping giant. The new stadium will hold 69,000 which tells you how big their support is.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
They are a huge club, the very definition of a sleeping giant. The new stadium will hold 69,000 which tells you how big their support is.
Well...history tells differently. They have always been the smallest of the big four ( behind Villa..Wolves..WBA )
Went there in mid/late 80's when we were both in the Championship ( Div 2 ) They were going down and we were just above the drop zone.
Crowd...about 4000.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
The new site is 60 acres, with plans to build something on the same lines as the Etihad campus. The same team that designed the Etihad campus is already on board, I understand. There will be room for things like the training grounds, hotels, entertainment venues etc. It’s certainly ambitious, they also want to get an NFL franchise, hence the Tom Brady connection. There’s an existing station adjacent too, Adderley Park, handy given that Brum to ‘London’ (sort of) will be down to 46 minutes by HS2.

To put it into context, the current St Andrew’s site is 7 acres. It’s not clear what will happen with that as it has not been sold as part of the deal. Could go for housing, or maybe kept on to be used for the women’s team?
Absolutely no links or plans to get an NFL franchise based in Birmingham....never has been.
As mentioned, there have been whispers of the Jags moving to London for years, but it will NOT happen. They've been kicking it around for far too long now for anything to come of it - and the NFL missed the window they had to get plans in place IMO (not that there was much a of a window anyway...its such a bad idea).
Brady came on board as a very minor shareholder at BCFC and has no plans on expanding that role as far as Im aware from the interviews he has done.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Well...history tells differently. They have always been the smallest of the big four ( behind Villa..Wolves..WBA )
Went there in mid/late 80's when we were both in the Championship ( Div 2 ) They were going down and we were just above the drop zone.
Crowd...about 4000.
Which reminds me of the old (Birmingham City fan) Jasper Carrots joke.

‘So I said to the bloke next to me (cupping his hand to his mouth) OI!’

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Crowd...about 4000.
He reeled you in.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Crowd...about 4000.
That was always my impression too, but on closer inspection I had a look at their average gates down the years after seeing this thread and actually they stack up well against WBA in particular. They've had seasons averaging over 35,000 in my lifetime, whereas WBA haven't averaged over 28,000 once since the 1950s.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

Retire the stadium and turn it into a museum to Jude Bellingham.

Dec 29, 2011
Are they really that big? Three other huge clubs to compete with in their city. Also a city which I imagine has a huge following of cricket based on the demographic.

Brum have always seemed like a very dull club to support to me.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
x9q6jrg25itc1.jpeg

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Are they really that big? Three other huge clubs to compete with in their city. Also a city which I imagine has a huge following of cricket based on the demographic.

Brum have always seemed like a very dull club to support to me.
The one thing they have never been is a dull club to follow. Not always for the right reasons but never dull.

They are always in a promotion or, more often these days, a relegation battle. It’s like a soap opera off the pitch. The only team to win a trophy in the West Midlands for 30 years. Jude Bellingham. Trevor Francis. Pioneers in European the 60s reaching 2 finals. Perennial underachievers with odd spells of better fortune that don’t seem to last long. Now these plans after 15 years of being run into the ground. I know a few of their fans and they are the most down to earth fans you would ever wish to meet, no arrogance like is inbuilt amongst those who follow the massive club across the Expressway that live in Cannock and are stuck in 1982.

You could use many words to describe the Blues, but dull is about as far off the mark as it gets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here