Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

new stadium new anthem

shellsuit

Feb 5, 2009
so i was just thinking as we are coming up to a new chapter in the clubs history maybe we need a new crowd catching song as in sing along go nuts anthem for the new era.
many clubs have done it some to great effect and some not so great.

personally i would love to see sussex by the sea stay as our number one club anthem but if i was going to choose a second song to be thumping out of the new pa system that we could all sing and get barmy too my choice would be

safety dance-men without hats.......anyone got a better idea

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
We've got the SKA version of GOSBTS... What more do you want?

DO the normal one post match, the ska one after. It'll certainly drive fans to the transport away though!

On a serious note though, Arsenal did this with Elvis' "The Wonder of You" which almost all Arsenal fans hate passionately because it has no relevance to the club. Not sure what we could have unless Fatboy did a craking Brighton orientated hit.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
so i was just thinking as we are coming up to a new chapter in the clubs history maybe we need a new crowd catching song as in sing along go nuts anthem for the new era.
many clubs have done it some to great effect and some not so great.

personally i would love to see sussex by the sea stay as our number one club anthem but if i was going to choose a second song to be thumping out of the new pa system that we could all sing and get barmy too my choice would be

safety dance-men without hats.......anyone got a better idea
I'd opened this thread ready to give a volley of abuse to some newbie, with no knowledge of the history of either the football club or the song, who wanted us to ditch GOSBTS on the grounds it's 'boring' and for us to have something modern (that would soon date terribly so that it sounded about as hip as something by the Captain and Tennille). But you want to keep the anthem so I'll let you off.

And that's an interesting choice. 'Safety Dance' is already old so it won't date (any more than it already has), and at least you didn't suggest anything by Twat Boy Slim. However if we HAVE to have a second song my vote still goes to Village People's 'YMCA' (B and H A). Works on all sorts of levels.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You don't 'make' new anthems, they come naturally. Sussex by the sea IS and always WILL be our anthem!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We've got the SKA version of GOSBTS... What more do you want?

DO the normal one post match, the ska one after. It'll certainly drive fans to the transport away though!

On a serious note though, Arsenal did this with Elvis' "The Wonder of You" which almost all Arsenal fans hate passionately because it has no relevance to the club. Not sure what we could have unless Fatboy did a craking Brighton orientated hit.

So which version is going to be played Pre match then????

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Does anyone know when GOSBTS became our "anthem"?
It is our sole remaining tradition linking almost every era of the club, something to be proud of.
The kids may not be as keen now but like us oldies they will learn to understand that this one, rather silly, song represents our club and unites the fans more than anything else ever could.
Unique and irreplaceable.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Nothing can replace GOSBTS but - bar most of our fans EVER learning all the words - it would be good to have a nice classic everyone could sing all the way through.

How about:

- My Way
- Beyond the Sea

Personally I would love the crowd to sing some old school classic like Ever Fallen In Love (with someone you shouldn't have fallen in love with).

Also, about time the club starting printing the full words to GOSBTS in the programme. That sung nice and slowly would be QUALITY.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
There are already plans to produce the most wonderful but respectful version of GOSBTS ever before the start of next season. We'll have the best stadium in the Championship and it's only right that we should have the best soundtrack.

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
I still want to sing '.......Coming down ollllllllllllld Shoreham Road to see the Brighton aces'.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not sure what we could have unless Fatboy did a craking Brighton orientated hit.

not a hit, but there is "you're not from brighton". "Right here, Right now" seems to be the reserve theme to GOSBTS, fitting brighton connection with the sitar rift in there, we dont need a new tune for the stadium.

I still want to sing '.......Coming down ollllllllllllld Shoreham Road to see the Brighton aces'.
As a descendant of generations of geordies, with one grandad who actually lived in Blaydon and another who lived on the Scotswood Road, I have that tune in my genes. And it's a true "national anthem" in the same way that SBTS is for people from Sussex. But, despite its popularity with Albion fans, it just seems wrong to be making an "anthem" out of a tune that has its roots in another part of the country.

[yt]6PrMaVjHS74[/yt]

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
As a descendant of generations of geordies, with one grandad who actually lived in Blaydon and another who lived on the Scotswood Road, I have that tune in my genes. And it's a true "national anthem" in the same way that SBTS is for people from Sussex. But, despite its popularity with Albion fans, it just seems wrong to be making an "anthem" out of a tune that has its roots in another part of the country.

[yt]6PrMaVjHS74[/yt]

I've always had the same thought!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I can see what he means.

If you have ever been to Selhurst when they blare out Glad All Over and they all sing and stamp their feet it makes quite a noise and I have to say its impressive.

GOSBTS for when the teams come out obviously but other than that its a blank canvas.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I would like a proper big brass band to play "Good old sussex by the sea" in the centre circle for the first home match. Maybe get fatboy slim to remix it. The start of sussex by the sea still sends shivers down my spine.

Sign these guys up. (sound quailty due wind not best)

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Nothing can replace GOSBTS but - bar most of our fans EVER learning all the words - it would be good to have a nice classic everyone could sing all the way through.

How about:

- My Way
- Beyond the Sea

Personally I would love the crowd to sing some old school classic like Ever Fallen In Love (with someone you shouldn't have fallen in love with).

Also, about time the club starting printing the full words to GOSBTS in the programme. That sung nice and slowly would be QUALITY.
The Official words for GOSBTS can be found here

Sussex By The Sea

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here