Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New signings? - Magoo after 2 defenders and a forward

Edward Scissorhands

Feb 20, 2005
http://www.seagulls.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/LatestDetail/0,,10433~874169,00.html

McGhee Wants Three
By Paul Camillin

Mark McGhee tonight told seagulls.co.uk he hopes to add up to three new faces - possibly two central defenders and a forward - before the new season kicks off next Saturday at Rotherham.

The Albion boss said "We've got one [central defender] in the pipeline, we're expecting a call in the morning, but it is up to the player at the moment as to whether he comes.

"There's also another one [defender] - and we could easily go to Rotherham next week with Adam El-Abd at right-back and Joel Lynch at left-back and two centre-halves who we've brought in."

McGhee's long-running search to bring in a quality centre-forward is yet to bear fruit, but the Albion boss admitted tonight he expects to have added a forward before the trip to Milmoor.

"Neil Shipperley is one we've tried for; we also made what turned out to be a ridiculous a phone call to Sheffield United about Geoff Horsfield.

"Geoff Horsfield's in talks with two other massive clubs who put him way out of our league. Maybe at some point we're going to have to take what we can get."

McGhee's interest in William Moquet and Dan McBreen has ended, while his interest in Newcastle United's Martin Brittain has cooled after a mediocre display on the right wing at Milton Keynes.

"Martin did alright at times. To really convince us that he's the man he needs to do better than that.

"There are a lot of aspects of Martin Brittain I like, but coming here tonight I hoped to see enough to go away and say [I want to sign him] absolutely.

"I need support from Bob, Dean White, Dean Wilkins and the chairman - and he's got to do better for everyone to be of the consensus that we must sign him. There is still a question mark over Martin."

Meanwhile an MRI scan has revealed Adam Hinshelwood has damaged his cartilage, but Albion are still to learn the full extent of the defender's knee injury.

"We don't know for sure yet if he's done anything else; he'll go in for a scope and until then we don't know if he's done anything else."

injury news on Lynch and Kerry Mayo is more positive, with McGhee hopeful both will be fit for the start of the season.

Mayo played an hour of last night's friendly, but missed the MK Dons match to be Best Man at his brother Ryan's wedding.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
We've got one [central defender] in the pipeline, we're expecting a call in the morning, but it is up to the player at the moment as to whether he comes.

"There's also another one [defender] - and we could easily go to Rotherham next week with Adam El-Abd at right-back and Joel Lynch at left-back and two centre-halves who we've brought in."

So that's four centre backs then.

Bagayoko ffs. :angry:

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
That article does nothing to inspire me, just the same old rubbish being spouted. He can talk about signing Shipperly and Horsefield as much as he wants but he's in dream land obviously Shipperly is slightly more likely but still probably only a 2% chance of us ever signing him.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Silent Bob said:
We've got one [central defender] in the pipeline, we're expecting a call in the morning, but it is up to the player at the moment as to whether he comes.

So that's four centre backs then.

Bagayoko ffs. :angry:

It wouldnt be the first time we've player four centre backs in defence, lynch butters hinshlewood elad has been done before. El abd and hinshlewood have even been given an opportunity to strut their stuff on the right side of midfield :lolol: :jester:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
"...McGhee's interest in William Moquet and Dan McBreen has ended, while his interest in Newcastle United's Martin Brittain has cooled after a mediocre display on the right wing at Milton Keynes."

:thud:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
sir danny cullip said:
It wouldnt be the first time we've player four centre backs in defence, lynch butters hinshlewood elad has been done before. El abd and hinshlewood have even been given an opportunity to strut their stuff on the right side of midfield :lolol: :jester:
:lolol:

It's true. What is the problem with actually signing a real full back instead of just sticking anyone in there?

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Silent Bob said:
:lolol:

It's true. What is the problem with actually signing a real full back instead of just sticking anyone in there?

Becuase then the player would actually contribute to the play by attempting to overlap which we cant have at any time! When Lynch does it he gets his bottom SMACKED. The right back at Aldershot playing for them tore us apart by overlapping, set up the goal and also had fruity in his back pocket defensively all night! Ex chelsea lad we really should have taken a closer look at him.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The point that everybody seems to overlook here, and that everybody needs to step back and look at is that McGhee is being pilloried for supposedly not finding a player. However, if it was up to the Tender Egos on here, any old player would do.

The reason we haven't signed anyone is because we haven't found anyone good enough that wants to come here. The Tender Egos might want to get some swamp donkey who has only one 'kick' setting. Mark McGhee, thankfully, has a much higher aspiration level, and a much higher quality threshold than some airheads on here.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill

The reason we haven't signed anyone is because we haven't found anyone good enough that wants to come here. The Tender Egos might want to get some swamp donkey who has only one 'kick' setting. Mark McGhee, thankfully, has a much higher aspiration level, and a much higher quality threshold than some airheads on here. [/B]

Are you seriously telling me that there is not a central midfield available on a free/loan that would be willing to come here that is better than Richard Carpenter?! I really cant believe that. The striking options are difficult, good strikers cost big money both fee and wages however I cannot believe that there is not a striker out there that can improve our squad, David Graham would have done as an example of a player that has moved today. I think the right wing problem is one that needs addressing, just players that will at least compete for a starting place in positions to keep the other players on their toes.

Oct 25, 2003
Fragmented Badger said:
He can talk of strikers and centre backs all he wants, but this team is going nowhere until the chronic lack of pace and creativity in the middle of our midfield is addressed. Despite being short of numbers, I actually feel we have some reasonably good players upfront and in defence, and once injuries are sorted we will be ok. However, as I have thought for about the last 2 years, our central midfielders are a complete and utter waste of space. Carpenter is sure to be an embarassment this season, Hammond is the slowest, most methodical 22 year old I have EVER seen, Oatway is just as bad (despite this myth we somehow got relegated purely because CHARLIE OATWAY got an injury!), and Mayo is, well, er, just Mayo. I am sure our lack of goals is mainly down to the pathetic level of service and support and midfield provides, not weaknesses in the strikers themselves. I would settle for just one, yes one, signing so long as it was a midfielder with a bit of speed and flair about him who would keep one of the aforementioned idiots out of the team. The rest of the squad, whilst lacking in depth, I would be fairly content with. Sort it out McGhee:angry:

PAUL REID is the answer....he can actually pass and RUN

reid with...i suppose carpenter, although, like you, i am pretty appalled by our central midfield options

mcghee has basically been MOANING about a f***ing target man and a left back for about two years yet he has never, ever attempted to resolve, what i believe to be, our weakest area

tommy boy said:
left back for about two years yet he has never, ever attempted to resolve, what i believe to be, our weakest area

Disagree - Joel Lynch can cope well enough at left-back in the league and Paul Reid was again good tonight as he was at Colchester, although I hope he is used in a more central position given he has been our best player over these two games at Colchester and MK Dons.

McGhee is right to target centre-backs as alas our youth were put to sword there tonight after a promising start to the game. OGH also looks uncomfortable at RB, can see El Abd slotting in there.

1066gull

To be fair to McGhee, Chelsea have also struggled to find a suitable left back for themselves.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I still see that Jocko muppet is naming names of targets WAY out of our reach. He even recognises they are way out of our reach, I just don't get it.

Can someone explain this to me?

1066gull

dwayne said:
I still see that Jocko muppet is naming names of targets WAY out of our reach. He even recognises they are way out of our reach, I just don't get it.

No, I can't. Try asking McGhee though.

dwayne said:

Yes, it's not rocket science you know, he is trying to indicate to the hard of undestanding like yourself that these are the players we need to improve our squad, but we can't afford them at the current time.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
London Irish said:
Yes, it's not rocket science you know, he is trying to indicate to the hard of undestanding like yourself that these are the players we need to improve our squad, but we can't afford them at the current time.

players that would improve our squad are-

an expereienced centre back
a midfielder who can pass forward

f*** the strikers, this is league one but even with Henry we won't score if we don't have players who can feed the strikers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here