New season: everyone got their Shoot! magazine league ladders at the ready?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The Shoot league ladders were an integral part of 70's footy fandom for me.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
My 6-year-old has just put this up on his bedroom wall. He has to beat my boyhood record of two week's interest in them :lolol:

I used to ditch the ladder after a week or two, and put all the tabs in a mug and have my own FA cup draws using dice to get the results, lots of 6-5 and 5-4 results mind. And for some reason Brighton used to win every time!

Kids of today note - We had to use our imagination in the days before games consoles!

some of the "inserts" were clubs like Barrow, Southport, Bradford Park Avenue, Swansea TOWN. Re-election always, relegation never!
Barrow failed to be reelected in 1972 after tieing with Southern League runners-up Hereford. The votes were then recast between the two clubs and Barrow lost out, never regaining League status. I think Bradford applied for reelection once too often and were replaced by Cambridge Utd in 1970.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Barrow failed to be reelected in 1972 after tieing with Southern League runners-up Hereford. The votes were then recast between the two clubs and Barrow lost out, never regaining League status. I think Bradford applied for reelection once too often and were replaced by Cambridge Utd in 1970.
Never write a club off!!

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
Ohhaaa! I used to buy Shoot here in Sweden. I guess its not out there anymore since this thread is hmm quite old. I do remember that league ladder, it used to be fun following BBC World Service on the radio and move the teams up n down 😀 Think he’s name was Paddy Finney or Feeney or something, at BBC that is. Loved it! Queens Park Rangers 1 Oldham Athletic 0 …

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Ohhaaa! I used to buy Shoot here in Sweden. I guess its not out there anymore since this thread is hmm quite old. I do remember that league ladder, it used to be fun following BBC World Service on the radio and move the teams up n down 😀 Think he’s name was Paddy Finney or Feeney or something, at BBC that is. Loved it! Queens Park Rangers 1 Oldham Athletic 0
5th February 1983

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I used to ditch the ladder after a week or two, and put all the tabs in a mug and have my own FA cup draws using dice to get the results, lots of 6-5 and 5-4 results mind. And for some reason Brighton used to win every time!

Kids of today note - We had to use our imagination in the days before games consoles!
Immediately upon opening the thread I remembered when I used to mix them up and have random tables.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Oh the joys of the 80 page bumper Christmas Special for about 1.5 the normal cost.

A great photo of Viv Anderson or Butch Wilkins dressed as Santa on the cover....happy days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports