[NSC] "New NSC" FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Whilst I sit in a supermarket carpark waiting for someone, I'll start on a FAQ to answer some of the questions that are being asked repeatedly on this thread....

Why the change?

NSC was running on vBulletin 4, an old platform which was no longer being updated, out of support and insecure. Additionally, it was not mobile-responsive meaning the need for a third party app, Tapatalk, for a better experience on phones. This brought problems of its own in that Tapatalk also had security concerns, was out of our direct control and did not support a number of board functions.

Xenforo, where we have moved to, solves most of these issues. It's not perfect, but in most regards it's a huge improvement, both as a user and a moderator/administrator than what we previously had.

Please note: what you see today isn't the finished article. This version has been live for less than 24 hours and I expect to be making changes for days if not weeks to come. It is, of course, impossible to please all of the people all of the time, but I'll be trying my hardest to make NSC better for us all to use.

Onto the FAQ...

Can I use Tapatalk / A.N.Other mobile app?

No. The site can only be accessed via a browser, but the mobile browser experience is now considerably better than previously. If Tapatalk was, essentially, your "NSC app", then you can replicate this by adding a direct link to NSC to your phone home screen as follows:
On iPhone/iPad...​
When on NSC in Safari, tap
the Share button
, scroll down the list of options, then tap Add to Home Screen.​
On Android...​
When on NSC in Chrome, tap the menu icon (3 dots in upper right-hand corner) and tap Add to homescreen.​

Is there a dark mode?

No / not yet. At the moment what you see is what you get. I am focused on usability/functionality over aesthetics, but I know a lot of people would like to have this option, so I will be looking to provide one.

What's the deal with those bars down the side of the screen on desktop view?

As above, we currently have a default template, which I'll be looking to change for the better.

Can I view threads without seeing other people's signatures and avatars?

You can turn off signatures by clicking/tapping on your username (top right), then "Preferences" and then unchecking the box "Show people's signatures with their messages" and then hitting "Save" at the bottom of the screen.

You can't turn off avatars currently - I shall be investigating forum plug-ins for that.

Is it possible to multi-quote?

Yes - tap/click "+ Quote" below each post you wish to quote and then, in the reply box click/tap the "Insert quotes..." button.

<More later>

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here