New Knockaert Tribute – for next Friday?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I am guessing you're fishing.

No, I'm serious. Fed up with people trying to dictate to others how they should should show their respects. Traditionally a minutes silence was the way and it is damn more respectful than a minutes applause. As I said, if you feel that you need to show AK your respects then really do write him a letter or even just a card. But I suspect it is far easier to post on here especially as others won't see the card you send but they will see your posts on here!!!

Shoreham was more than deserving of all the tributes because it was this community. A fan is probably equally deserving because they are one of us but even then you can't really have a minutes applause for everyone that dies. AK is a great player and part of a great team but I don't see why there has to be a demonstration of respect to his father. Would you feel the same about the parents of all the players at the club, I doubt it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Roughly 1 in 120 people in the UK population dies each year. If you take a rough 60,000 as being "albion-relevant" then that's about 10 a week.

Best have 1 match per season to remember them all, otherwise it'll get silly.

I was just thinking this. Does the death of a STH entitle them to a minutes applause/silence/picture on the big screen.........?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
No, I'm serious. Fed up with people trying to dictate to others how they should should show their respects. Traditionally a minutes silence was the way and it is damn more respectful than a minutes applause. As I said, if you feel that you need to show AK your respects then really do write him a letter or even just a card. But I suspect it is far easier to post on here especially as others won't see the card you send but they will see your posts on here!!!

Shoreham was more than deserving of all the tributes because it was this community. A fan is probably equally deserving because they are one of us but even then you can't really have a minutes applause for everyone that dies. AK is a great player and part of a great team but I don't see why there has to be a demonstration of respect to his father. Would you feel the same about the parents of all the players at the club, I doubt it.

I don't think anyone is trying to dictate to you my friend, me more than anyone.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
So this thread’s now turned into a right old binfest. Meanwhile, some facts:-

The Knockaert Marseillaise was written and first posted here in August. Since then, it’s been revised a couple of times and posted most recently as a video. The Villa game was simply the first available opportunity to air the finished version at the Amex.

The coincidental death of AK’s father would obviously have added extra poignancy, but the plan had always been to offer an original alternative to something that's sung by dozens of other clubs.

The new song (take another look, read the words) pays tribute (yes, that word again) to Knockaert’s footballing brilliance and his well-deserved place among true Albion legends. And that’s it.

Four lines for Friday? Can’t be that difficult, can it?

This! It's just about the SONG now. Sing it in whatever minute, sing it as a tribute or not. Just as long as we ditch the crappy achy breaky song and sing a unique song instead. Prehaps the title of this thread should be changed, anytime it gets bounced others read the OP and start getting negative towards it. I hope you've managed to get enough support to get this song started on Friday. I'm sure it will catch on.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
This! It's just about the SONG now. Sing it in whatever minute, sing it as a tribute or not. Just as long as we ditch the crappy achy breaky song and sing a unique song instead. Prehaps the title of this thread should be changed, anytime it gets bounced others read the OP and start getting negative towards it. I hope you've managed to get enough support to get this song started on Friday. I'm sure it will catch on.

It won't catch on, you guys are deluded if you think the 1000s of people who sing the current song, which incidentally has been really loud at the last few games, will just forget it and switch to the French national anthem that you've had to forcibly shoehorn some words into!

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
You raise an interesting point about the character of our supporters. Are we the kind of fans who don’t like change, just want to keep our heads down and sing everyone else’s songs, in this case rehashing an old Paddy McCourt song for our standout, star player? Is that really the best we can do?

Or, are we Brighton fans? With a reputation for being creative, open -minded, always ready to try something new?

All that’s being asked of people is to try out the simple, four-line chorus of a new song, that can happily coexist alongside the existing one. Not that difficult, is it?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
You raise an interesting point about the character of our supporters. Are we the kind of fans who don’t like change, just want to keep our heads down and sing everyone else’s songs, in this case rehashing an old Paddy McCourt song for our standout, star player? Is that really the best we can do?

Or, are we Brighton fans? With a reputation for being creative, open -minded, always ready to try something new?

All that’s being asked of people is to try out the simple, four-line chorus of a new song, that can happily coexist alongside the existing one. Not that difficult, is it?

When are you going to give up and realise just like the Tories and Maggie May, you backed a LOSER

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

With the best will in the world you're not going to get a song going via the pages of NSC. It will take a group of fans to start belting it out in the North Stand, or at an away game, and if its worthy then maybe it'll get taken up. If it isn't, then it'll die on its arse. If you're going to try and get it going at the next game then good luck to you, but it doesn't matter how many times you bang on about it on here, its not going to make any difference out there.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Knocky already has a song. It now gets positively belted out and by a good number (particularly at Bristol before and during the goal celebration). We should stick with it....regardless of a few not liking the tune. No need to start a new one just as the current one has properly got going?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think anyone is trying to dictate to you my friend, me more than anyone.

Well you are. Indirectly maybe but you are. If there's a minute's applause, regardless of who it's for, you DO feel duty-bound to join in, otherwise it makes you look a bit like you're the devil incarnate. In this age a phone clip of you not applauding posted on the internet will make you the subject of a shitstorm of abuse as the person who "doesn't care". Context and reason will go out of the window. Don't tell me that can't happen.

Drew's comment is spot on.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well you are. Indirectly maybe but you are. If there's a minute's applause, regardless of who it's for, you DO feel duty-bound to join in, otherwise it makes you look a bit like you're the devil incarnate. In this age a phone clip of you not applauding posted on the internet will make you the subject of a shitstorm of abuse as the person who "doesn't care". Context and reason will go out of the window. Don't tell me that can't happen.

Drew's comment is spot on.

Thanks.

I'm all for free speech but maybe the mods should instantly delete all these requests for a minutes applause for Friday as it's getting ridiculous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports