Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] New kitchen

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Thanking you kindly. Very informative. The Quooker at first sight sounds like a terrible indulgence, but both myself and partner currently spend the vast majority of our working lives at home, and we both drink loads of tea each day: she gets through about five litres. It will, in short, get battered, and will save us no end of time waiting around for a kettle to boil.

My wife thought a Quooker was a terrible indulgence but now agree it's the best. That amount of tea drinking will definitely make one very worthwhile. Given the cost of electricity it also make financial sense, as you don't keep heating kettles of water, only to have them cool down and then heated up again. The Quooker tank is highly insulated and costs a tiny amount to keep at constant boiling.

Also if you are investing in a new Kitchen its nice to have one or two indulgences.
Bit like a new car, always nice to have a new toy or two.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
My wife thought a Quooker was a terrible indulgence but now agree it's the best. That amount of tea drinking will definitely make one very worthwhile. Given the cost of electricity it also make financial sense, as you don't keep heating kettles of water, only to have them cool down and then heated up again. The Quooker tank is highly insulated and costs a tiny amount to keep at constant boiling.

Also if you are investing in a new Kitchen its nice to have one or two indulgences.
Bit like a new car, always nice to have a new toy or two.

Our indulgence was a cooler for the booze!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
My mate has a kitchen company matching Howdens and all the other builder kitchens although far superior quality units. Ideally you want the carcass to match the door colour gives a much more expensive feel. Add a stone work top for the perfect finish.

Could you do me (and your mate) a favour and name his company please?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We're about half way through having our kitchen extended, and are approaching the stage where we're going to buy units, appliances, etc, and grateful for feedback from others who have done something similar of late -- what worked, what didn't, what do you regret not getting?

There's also a more specific question. We're weighing up whether to get a Quooker, or the cheaper, unbranded alternative that Howdens do. Does anyone who live in B&H, or surrounding area with similarly hard water, have experience of using these? It's the hard water that's prompting second thoughts, especially if it means it requires regular servicing.

If you or your fitter are set on Howdens, get a quote from DIY Kitchens and ask Howdens to match it.

Swiss perfection

Jul 27, 2018
Virtually every basic fan oven has the same functionality now a days, so no issue in cooking, if it's specifics like self cleaning, or steam cooking then you should trade up. Like wise dish and refrigeration, unless you want low level water usage or specific temperate zones then all brands are basically sourced from Chinese or Turkish manufacturers. Go for the one with the best warranty option included.
I have had a Quooker for 5 years ,like triggers broom, 2 tanks and 2 spouts, they came out and changed no problem pay a bit more for back up but it is the market leader.
I would consider a wine cooler
Coffee machines built in too problematical

Kitchen wise, an independent will always give you the best advise ,a multiple will sell you what they have and mainly try and sell on finance etc. For additional commission

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My view is it costs time and money to collect the materials in the first place 20% seems fair to me.

In a different industry I'd say the same . . . I never made any money after 10 years so gave up.

25-30% is needed to operate without a loss for most 'small' projects.

20+ years ago I worked in design & proposals, and even on £1-6m projects we needed board approval to go below 20% margin.

Most sole traders, Ltd or not seem to operate on an earn a living and be grateful basis . . . profit doesn't exist, snazzy van aside!

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My view is it costs time and money to collect the materials in the first place 20% seems fair to me.

It’s a bit like going to a restaurant and complaining that you can make this cheaper at home.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
It’s a bit like going to a restaurant and complaining that you can make this cheaper at home.

Not really, it's just a different way of pricing. Like having a private chef come round to your house and cook food that you have provided.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Which is why, when eating out, I prefer to dine in places that have complex dishes on the menu. I don’t have the skills to make what is put in front of me at all, so the price differential is entirely moot.

Just like some aspects of DIY - for example, my plastering looks like a child did it - get a pro in. They’ll do it far better than I would in 10% of the time I would take.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have just finished designing a kitchen for our new apartment. We decided to go for steel and chose this company https://www.popstahl.de/en/startseite-english/ The do installations in the UK.

Choosing the appliances was a bit overwhelming especially the tap and the oven. In the end we literally just chose the median priced appliances. Taps and ovens have moved on a lot since I last bought one :lolol:

Thats different, I like it, need to get the balance right so its not too cold . . . or it'll end up looking like an F1 pit garage :lolol:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
We're about half way through having our kitchen extended, and are approaching the stage where we're going to buy units, appliances, etc, and grateful for feedback from others who have done something similar of late -- what worked, what didn't, what do you regret not getting?

There's also a more specific question. We're weighing up whether to get a Quooker, or the cheaper, unbranded alternative that Howdens do. Does anyone who live in B&H, or surrounding area with similarly hard water, have experience of using these? It's the hard water that's prompting second thoughts, especially if it means it requires regular servicing.

too late for anyone to help you mate , if you are half way through as you say and haven't bought the units yet then you may well be out of your depth and up the proverbial river without a paddle. PPPPPP

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Which is why, when eating out, I prefer to dine in places that have complex dishes on the menu. I don’t have the skills to make what is put in front of me at all, so the price differential is entirely moot.

Just like some aspects of DIY - for example, my plastering looks like a child did it - get a pro in. They’ll do it far better than I would in 10% of the time I would take.

Totally agree and fair comment. The time aspect is also relevant for food. I make my own pasta, which takes quite a bit of time. And this is on top of the time needed to make whatever is going with the pasta. A homemade spag bol needs around 3-4 hours set aside....and then I end up with something which sometimes, more luck than judgement, is okay but which a half decent italian can often do better. I made a steak pie at the weekend and that took me ages as well.

Last edited:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
[MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] sorry to join the party late and throw a potential logistics hand-grenade into the mix but have you considered Benchmarx? It’s the bespoke kitchen arm of Travis Perkins.

Our builder historically used Howdens but disappointed with both the quality and quote from them we took our design to Benchmarx and didn’t tell them the price/budget.

Ultimately we got an £9k plus appliances quote from Howdens down to £7k including Bosch appliances and an Abode boiling water tap.

Well worth a look.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Yes, Wrens were good for us and the carcasses come made up, very good diagrams and measurements spot on for every unit which is a godsend.
And of course, they do 5 years interest-free, monies better in my account than someone else's.
County Stone in Walberton for granite, Quartz worktops family run business.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Howdens seem to be getting a bit of a pounding on here so I'm going to stick up for them. I had one of theirs put in 4 years ago and 4 years on I'm still very happy with it. Only thing I was pissed off with them was they sold me a very expensive tap that needs a high pressure system to work. My hot water is gravity fed so I only get a dribble of hot water coming from the tap. The quality of the units is very good much better than what I saw at B&Q, Magnet and Wickes IMO and Howdens came in cheaper than both of the latter.

One thing I will say is do not use these companies in-house installation service they were extortionate (around the £5k mark). I got a local chippy to install for £2k.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here