New Keeper Needed

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Brezovan is what Brezovan is. When he's confident and on form, he is a decent goalkeeper but he appears to have lost his confidence now, which is time to take him out of the team. Ankergren will be back on tuesday night, but who will be in goal for the first game of next season isn't currently at the club. I like Brezovan on form, but I've seen an awful lot of him when he isn't and his performance today brought back memories from years ago. Not going to slag him off though, on his day he is very good but he seems to lack the mental strength to achieve consistency.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I like Brez, and he took over from Ankergren at the right time and did a job for us. But, he is not Championship quality, he was at fault for so much today and also in the game against Millwall. OK, so he saved a soft penalty but we really need to bring in a new keeper IMO.

That was not a championship team that beat us tonight , they raped the whole team in the 2nd half not just brezovan greer made the worst error walking back with his head down not seeing the ball fly past him which was then put in the back of the net while Dunk was doing his best to defend there counter attack, greer captain ? give the arm band to ElAbd.
Just got back by the way great day out well done the lads , lets now concentrate on the real goal for this season promotion

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sorry, obviously a bit out of tough here - have we signed a goalkeeper called Gonzales? Who he? Where did he come from? I think Brezovan's OK, but we may have to keep swapping him and Ankergren for this season so as to keep them on their tes - hope we do go and look for a better one in July, though

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We signed David Gonzalez to do the Danny Naisbitt role of a couple of years ago. Pick up wages for no reason.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Sorry, obviously a bit out of tough here - have we signed a goalkeeper called Gonzales? Who he? Where did he come from? I think Brezovan's OK, but we may have to keep swapping him and Ankergren for this season so as to keep them on their tes - hope we do go and look for a better one in July, though

Didn`t gonzales let in two goals against crawleys reserves,sorry if i`m wrong

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Brezovan is what Brezovan is. When he's confident and on form, he is a decent goalkeeper but he appears to have lost his confidence now, which is time to take him out of the team. Ankergren will be back on tuesday night, but who will be in goal for the first game of next season isn't currently at the club. I like Brezovan on form, but I've seen an awful lot of him when he isn't and his performance today brought back memories from years ago. Not going to slag him off though, on his day he is very good but he seems to lack the mental strength to achieve consistency.

If wankergren comes back into the team following Brezovans contribution to our unbeaten league run this year we will lose on wednesday and every game after it look at his peformances last year, not least ducking to avoid gerrards shot at goal at the Amex in the CC, i have never seen a keeper do that before he is a fcuking joke.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thought Brez started to look the part, but for a big man he should be owning his six yard box sadly his punching and lack of command are now sadly lacking .Tony Godden must take some resposability and address his and caspers shortfalls

I agree with that 100% and believe that he should take responsibilty for the continual punching by our keepers. In most cases Brezovan gets above the attackers but still he punches balls in stead of catching them.

Both Brezovan and Ankergren would be ok as back up but not No 1 if we wish to chase promotion.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Has no one seen Gonzales play for the development squad?

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
As bad as Brezovan was our defenders were no better and they were all really soft goals.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
I went into this season saying that all the players from last season should be given the chance to show if they were good enough at this level. It 's become clear that in some areas the squad is not up to the standard needed, GK, both FB's, MF centre going forward. Some players have been added and since Xmas we've seen the team improve but inthe last 2 games we've gone backwards, the GK has shown his limititions and the MF has contained too many of the defensive or same type of player. Injuries haven't helped but tactics in the last 2 games have been poor, to try and play an open game at Anfield is not on, but maybe Gus thinks that he really needs to see if some of the team can cut it , even if the loan signings were to get this team up would Bloom really sanction the money needed to suddenly rebuild the squad to keep us up?

dac1980

Sep 20, 2011
Unfortunately i have to agree with the majority on this one. I don't like to cast blame upon people and as much as i agree that not a lot of the goals were 100% Brez's fault you would still expect a championship golkeeper to do better. I have never felt confident with Brez as I don't think he even looks like he has ever played in goal before, he lollops around dragging himself around his box relying on his size to get him through the game.

May be harsh but you would expect more of an effort for the first goal, and flapped about for the majority of the game, the reason why we (not he) have done so well in 2012 would probably come down to the quality put in the box by opposing teams, yesterday the quality was by far better than in the league as you would expect and Brez couldn't cope with it.

I know everybody has an off game once in a while and if i felt this was the case with Brez i'd stand up and say so but i'm sorry but he just doesn't cut it for me.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
On another tack, just seen dunk's own goal.....sheer genius.

Batti

Jul 19, 2010
I agree with that 100% and believe that he should take responsibilty for the continual punching by our keepers. In most cases Brezovan gets above the attackers but still he punches balls in stead of catching them.

Both Brezovan and Ankergren would be ok as back up but not No 1 if we wish to chase promotion.

Agree with this. I think a lot of the blame must lie with Tony Godden. I know he's rated by the club BUT there are so many basics that both Brez and Ankergren get wrong, Godden cannot be coaching them correctly. Both keepers are reasonable shot stoppers but the areas which need to be coached have been consistently weak for the past couple of seasons.

The list below are just a few things that are wrong and that a good goalkeeping coach should be spotting and sorting out.

Decision making 1 - when to come for crosses and when to stay
Decision making 2 - when to catch and when to punch
How to punch - getting distance on punches and clearing the immediate danger
Body weight distribution 1 - body weight is often wrong when they've set themselves - both keepers are often not on all the balls of their feet when setting themselves for shots but are leaning slightly back (not allowing them to dive effectively)
Body weight distribution 2 - when moving across the goal following the ball, they rarely set themselves before the ball is struck (this is basic goalkeeping - if you're not set, you won't be able to dive both ways)
Communication - communication with the back 4 seems weak meaning the defenders often don't seem to know when the keepers are coming or staying put

Any decent goalkeeping coach would have ironed out the above issues very quickly and yet I've seen no improvement since either keeper has been at the club.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Agree with this. I think a lot of the blame must lie with Tony Godden. I know he's rated by the club BUT there are so many basics that both Brez and Ankergren get wrong, Godden cannot be coaching them correctly. Both keepers are reasonable shot stoppers but the areas which need to be coached have been consistently weak for the past couple of seasons.

The list below are just a few things that are wrong and that a good goalkeeping coach should be spotting and sorting out.

Body weight distribution 1 - body weight is often wrong when they've set themselves - both keepers are often not on all the balls of their feet when setting themselves for shots but are leaning slightly back (not allowing them to dive effectively)
Body weight distribution 2 - when moving across the goal following the ball, they rarely set themselves before the ball is struck (this is basic goalkeeping - if you're not set, you won't be able to dive both ways)
Communication - communication with the back 4 seems weak meaning the defenders often don't seem to know when the keepers are coming or staying put

Any decent goalkeeping coach would have ironed out the above issues very quickly and yet I've seen no improvement since either keeper has been at the club.

Very good summing up of our situation re keepers.

dac1980

Sep 20, 2011

Think we found a new GK coach.....i could do with someone like you!!!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Brezovan & Navarro , truly awful players!
Not just today, Navarro ain't good enough by a long way. At least he shouldn't play again with the city loanees

i diagree about Navs, he is very good player, its just what he does is not dynamic or flair, he simply breaks up play and links the back to the front, simply win it give and go, and he does it very well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports