New ipad - WIFI or WIFI with 3/4G?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dex10

Sep 8, 2010
Hi all...

Ive decided to get a new ipad shorthly but dont know a great deal about them. Is there much point of getting one with 4G access when if there was something I needed to look at when out and about then I could just use my iphone?

Also my Itunes libarary is now stored in the 'cloud' so is there any reason why a 16GB wouldnt be big enough? - I did read somewhere that the 32GB was far more popular.

I know this has been done before but there are so many previous threads on ipads to search through.... any help greatly appreciated:thumbsup:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
go 3g/4g if you will use it out and about, but bare in mind the amount of free WiFi around probably not needed. 16gb should be fine for most stuff.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
go 3g/4g if you will use it out and about, but bare in mind the amount of free WiFi around probably not needed. 16gb should be fine for most stuff.

I was thinking this myself, but as a commuter, I don't think there's any signal on most of the Coast/London line - which is presmably when I would use it a lot. At home or at work, no problem - always wi-fi available.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I would go for a 32gb 3g/4g and get a giffgaff sim to use when mobile data is needed.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Absolutely no need to buy a 3G/4G model IMO.

1. There's no 4G in the UK and won't be for a while.
2. There's free wifi everywhere.
3. You can tether your smartphon (assuming you have one) to the iPad so a regular iPad can use your phones data connection - just buy some bolt on megabytes when you think you'll need them

Simples! :thumbsup:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hi all...

Ive decided to get a new ipad shorthly but dont know a great deal about them. Is there much point of getting one with 4G access when if there was something I needed to look at when out and about then I could just use my iphone?

Also my Itunes libarary is now stored in the 'cloud' so is there any reason why a 16GB wouldnt be big enough? - I did read somewhere that the 32GB was far more popular.

I know this has been done before but there are so many previous threads on ipads to search through.... any help greatly appreciated:thumbsup:

3/4g? we haven't got 4g over here yet hav we?? monthly cost as well.....i hav 16gb and considering 32gb this time

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I was thinking this myself, but as a commuter, I don't think there's any signal on most of the Coast/London line - which is presmably when I would use it a lot. At home or at work, no problem - always wi-fi available.

The lack of signal on the commute to work is bloody annoying.

Dex10

Sep 8, 2010
Absolutely no need to buy a 3G/4G model IMO.

3. You can tether your smartphon (assuming you have one) to the iPad so a regular iPad can use your phones data connection - just buy some bolt on megabytes when you think you'll need them

Simples! :thumbsup:

Sounds good but have no idea what your talking about!, any chance you could explain further?, many thanks

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I have the iPad 2 3G version. I do find find the 3G very handy, although its a luxury rather than an absolute necessity.

I would say go 3G/4G if you are not put off by the associated costs.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Sounds good but have no idea what your talking about!, any chance you could explain further?, many thanks

Sure. Basically, I have an iPhone and a Wifi iPad. On the iPhone (and most other newish smartphones) there's an option called 'Personal Hotspot' which allows you to share your phones data connection over wifi. (Essentially, it turns your phone into a router which comuters/iPads etc can connect to)

When I'm out and about and want to use my iPad to browse/email etc - I get my iPhone out, turn on the Personal hotspot, then on the iPad under wifi networks, my iPhone shows up. I connect, then any data comes from my phone's allowance.

You've got to think about how often you'll use this though. If you're going to be using it every day on a train or the like, perhaps it would be cheaper in the long run to shell out for the 3G iPad. If, like me, you're usually somewhere where there is wifi (home, work, cafe etc) it's better to just buy some 'extra data' for your phone.

Does that make more sense?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
4g will be available this year by all accounts, but obviously 3g is here. There certainly isn't currently free wi-fi available everywhere.

I'm not sure 4G will be ready this year? I commute, and 3 seem the best for connectivity on the mainline, bar a couple of spots.

Alternatively go WiFi only, and if you do find you want roaming internet access, look at a 3 MiFi.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
I have a 16gb 3g iPad2 primarily for my daily commute and it is perfect. Have a data bolt on with Orange inc free wi fi where available. Have to say 3g signal is ample for my usage and only really drops in tunnels! Brilliant bit of kit.

Sent from - not telling as it upsets some people!

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I have currently got an ipad1 wi-fi 16Gb and am currently awaiting my delivery of the new iPad 16Gb wi-fi, which is with UPS somewhere in transit. I primarily use mine at home and at work where I have wi-fi anyway but if I need data when out and a about I can tether to my iphone and use the data on that. Its very rare I need to do that. As for storage I have a spotify premium subscription so most of my music listening is through spotify which doesn't require me to store music on the device so works fine and I have used about 12Gb of my 16gb up with games and a few video clips.

Obviously depends on the requirements but thats what I do.

Can't wait to experience the speed and new screen on friday when the new one comes.

Dex10

Sep 8, 2010
Sure. Basically, I have an iPhone and a Wifi iPad. On the iPhone (and most other newish smartphones) there's an option called 'Personal Hotspot' which allows you to share your phones data connection over wifi. (Essentially, it turns your phone into a router which comuters/iPads etc can connect to)

When I'm out and about and want to use my iPad to browse/email etc - I get my iPhone out, turn on the Personal hotspot, then on the iPad under wifi networks, my iPhone shows up. I connect, then any data comes from my phone's allowance.

You've got to think about how often you'll use this though. If you're going to be using it every day on a train or the like, perhaps it would be cheaper in the long run to shell out for the 3G iPad. If, like me, you're usually somewhere where there is wifi (home, work, cafe etc) it's better to just buy some 'extra data' for your phone.

Does that make more sense?

Thanks for that it all seems quite simple. I work from home and therefore wifi is always available so it seems a bit pointless going for the 3g option. The only time I might need it is when I visit clients and if I can tether for my phone then that should do the trick :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you're torn on where to spend the extra £100, I'd go for 32gb (over 16gb) rather than 3/4G.

Some apps and games are getting very big - c1gb and this trend is only likely to continue with the higher resolution screen to take advantage of. Additionally you might want to be storing higher-res video, again to take advantage of the screen.

If anything our 32gb feels a bit small now we have 2 kids with 2 differing tastes when it comes to films/TV programmes to watch, although Netflix helps a bit with a big library on demand over the air.

I use a MiFi to get online when away from WiFi, such as when on a train. As others have said, it's likely you could tether to your phone to do similar.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
If you're torn on where to spend the extra £100, I'd go for 32gb (over 16gb) rather than 3/4G.

Some apps and games are getting very big - c1gb and this trend is only likely to continue with the higher resolution screen to take advantage of. Additionally you might want to be storing higher-res video, again to take advantage of the screen.

If anything our 32gb feels a bit small now we have 2 kids with 2 differing tastes when it comes to films/TV programmes to watch, although Netflix helps a bit with a big library on demand over the air.

I use a MiFi to get online when away from WiFi, such as when on a train. As others have said, it's likely you could tether to your phone to do similar.

Totally agree. People are really going to struggle to store more than just a few (big) games and photos on the 16GB models.

32GB Wifi would get my vote.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports