Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New EPL TV deal - 6.30pm Sunday games - we need to stop this

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

If it’s true that the new tv deal includes 6.30pm Sunday games then there needs to be a massive protest.

Away fans will need to take off the next day on leave if doing these by train unless they live near the home ground. Coach fans will get home way after midnight with work the next day. There will legitimately be almost no public transport. And many home fans will ringfence Sunday night for family time and a meal together.

The worst kick off in modern football is the 17.45 / 18.45 Thursday European games. This would be a very, very close second.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

If it’s true that the new tv deal includes 6.30pm Sunday games then there needs to be a massive protest.

Away fans will need to take off the next day on leave if doing these by train unless they live near the home ground. Coach fans will get home way after midnight with work the next day. There will legitimately be almost no public transport. And many home fans will ringfence Sunday night for family time and a meal together.

The worst kick off in modern football is the 17.45 / 18.45 Thursday European games. This would be a very, very close second.

Sorry but how does this inconvenience the majority?

(watching on TV).

Capitalism. It's a thing, don'cha know? ???

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The people who run football really don't care about match-attending fans/supporters because they make up such a small percentage of the audience.

All the time that remains the case (i.e. forever) they'll carry on pulling stunts like this one to squeeze more money out of broadcasters.

Absolute twats.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
We really need to get the ‘Football! On a Saturday!’ (To the tune of Go West!) chant going again whenever the tv cameras come to town.

The international pull factor cannot be the biggest contributor to this as the games can be aired when played on Saturday at 3pm overseas anyway.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Different times appeal to different people. Personally, I'd love a 6.30 KO on a Sunday. I'm missing the Bournemouth as we have an away fixture that day and I'm missing the Liverpool match, as we have an away fixture on that day. Anyone involved in junior sport will probably be much happier with a later kick-off

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
2020 - “Football is nothing without fans”

2023 - “You can all shut the f*** up, we call the shots”

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
£100m + transfers got to be paid for somehow……

Hate the idea but it’s ALL about the money

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
No doubt it will be another provider you would have to subscribe to legally watch the game.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Sad that it'll rule out travel to some away days if we get selected but quite like the idea of this time otherwise, preferred to 12:30 Sat or a 14:00 Sunday for me

Also of course, if it is a northern away game at least we know it'll be on TV if we get selected

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

The problem is we all know there will be grumbles, maybe a banner or two, but ultimately stadiums, including away sections, will still largely be full and very quickly it'll become as normalised as the 4.30 Sunday KO. Of course tv companies are going to milk KO times for their own benefit if they can get away with it, which they especially do in this country!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I know this is missing the point a bit but ‘broadcasted’? In a Telegraph headline. The standard of writing these days 😤

Oh. On the subject, pretty dire slot. A lot of the weird kick off times I quite like though. It’ll work for some people. Sadly, the bottom line is you can’t have everything we’ve got which is underwritten by the TV billions without giving them what they want in return. To keep that money flowing, the Premier League is forever looking to offer something different. Haven’t read the article yet but presumably Sunday evening here is an attractive slot for one of the big markets abroad so potential new revenue.

Edit: Having read it now, partly a defensive move by the PL to answer calls for more matches televised (50 extra) and to protect the 3pm blackout. I know a lot of people would like all the games available to pick and choose, kicking off at sensible times, but I think they deserve a little credit here. They’re sustaining the collective model in the face of powerful opposition. Once the whole thing goes pay per view, you won’t stop the likes of Manchester United demanding the money reflects the number of viewers and clubs like ours will fare very badly indeed. A compromise protects what’s left of a level playing field & the 3pm blackout is still good for EFL clubs.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here