Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Doctor Who

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Good news, except with the BBC being the BBC, the new Dr Who will be a one-legged deaf blind cross-dressing lesbian of Afro-Asian descent in a save-the-whales t-shirt who will refuse to fight the daleks as she's into worlds peace.

FatboyTim

Jul 14, 2003
the moon
Heggessey confirms the return of Dr Who

Lorraine Heggessey has confirmed that Doctor Who is set to return to BBC One, 14 years after it was axed.

The channel controller said that all rights issues regarding Doctor Who have been resolved and that she has green-lit scripts from award-winning writer Russell T Davies.

However, fans of the doctor will have to be patient as there has been no confirmation about storylines or characters - including who might play the time lord – and it's unlikely that anything will be on screen for at least two years.

Doctor Who will be produced by BBC Wales in conjunction with Mal Young, controller of continuing series.

‘Doctor Who is a much-loved, truly iconic piece of television history,’ says Young. ‘It's time to crank up the Tardis and find out what lies in store for The Doctor.

‘We're thrilled to have a writer of Russell's calibre to take us on this journey. However, we're at the very first stages of development and further details, including casting, will not be available for some time.’

Russell T Davies's writing credits include Bob and Rose, Queer as Folk, The Second Coming, Touching Evil (with Paul Abbott) and The Grand.

‘I grew up watching Doctor Who, hiding behind the sofa like so many others,’ says Davies. ‘Doctor Who is one of the BBC's most exciting and original characters. He's had a good rest and now it's time to bring him back!

‘The new series will be fun, exciting, contemporary and scary. Although I'm only in the early stages of development, I'm aiming to write a full-blooded Doctorama which embraces the Doctor Who heritage, at the same time as introducing the character to a modern audience.’

No budget has been set for the new series; the number of episodes and their duration is under discussion. It will be a family show, but no details are available as to when it will be scheduled.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I remember the first ever episode, I was six. I remember mainly being impressed with the electronic music (Ron Grainer and the BBC Radiophonic workshop). It was an incredible series in the early days although it did undoubtedly lose the plot towards the end and I was pleased when it was finally put out of its misery.

Can the new series enthrall a generation of kids raised on all sorts of technical wizardry the way it enthralled us? After all back in the 60s Doctor Whos' contemporaries were the likes of Pinky and Perky - not much competion there.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
The trouble I have is that all my fellow Doctor Who fans think I'm a freak cos I'm also a football fan; and then some of the football fans think I'm a freak cos I like Doctor Who.

I don't care. It's great news!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I know a bloke at work who does a bit of writing for the Doctor Who fans' magazine. Obviously he gets a lot of stick but takes it all in very good humour. The news today has been greeted with childlike glee, it's almost heartwarming. A great day for Whovians (as I'm reliably informed such people are called).

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Juan Albion said:
Good news, except with the BBC being the BBC, the new Dr Who will be a one-legged deaf blind cross-dressing lesbian of Afro-Asian descent in a save-the-whales t-shirt who will refuse to fight the daleks as she's into worlds peace.

Think you're reading the Daily Mail too much
:rolleyes:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Probably better not say. Might totally destroy his cricket-writing career....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here