Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New deals for three; five released

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
TB has said no major surgery/changes to the squad will be needed.With the loans leaving as well, that's 6 of the first team squad gone ,so far !!.....25%(approx)..........gone ,i reckon that's pretty mayor !!!!!

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Imagine if it happened to supporters.

"withdeanwombat, you're 68 now. We're sending you to support Yeovil."

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I would presume Bobby will quit, so saying he is being released might be a bit harsh, would have been better to allow him to retire?

Calderon to Charlton or Crawley type clubs? Somewhere localish...

All the leavers knew early in the week. Certainly by Tuesday and every player I have a feeling will be met in these current few weeks. So all of them will know whether their chances of first team football will be limited or not in the coming season. I suppose then it is up to them and their Agents whether they try and find them new clubs or not.

Calderon is the strangest one. I thought he might have been kept, I truly did; however, he wants to continue to play and apparently he is one of the hardest trainers still at that age. He won't go far I don't think though because he wants to continue all his charity work if he can, so I think Crawley as you suggest would be ideal for him. And who knows, I think he will be back at Brighton in some capacity in a few years. Possibly as some sort of goodwill Ambassador or something like that

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
TB has said no major surgery/changes to the squad will be needed.With the loans leaving as well, that's 6 of the first team squad gone ,so far !!.....25%(approx)..........gone ,i reckon that's pretty mayor !!!!!

5 have been released and none of them were in the first team. Greer only played when Dunk was suspended.
The two loanees have gone back to their club, but that's not to say that Sidwell isn't having talks to come back.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No gripes with any of the departures tbh. Releasing Greer means,I guess, that we intend to try and hang on to Dunk and Goldson, hope we can

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Calderon is the strangest one. I thought he might have been kept, I truly did; however, he wants to continue to play and apparently he is one of the hardest trainers still at that age. He won't go far I don't think though because he wants to continue all his charity work if he can, so I think Crawley as you suggest would be ideal for him. And who knows, I think he will be back at Brighton in some capacity in a few years. Possibly as some sort of goodwill Ambassador or something like that

Given his football experience, coupled with his teaching and sports psychology qualifications, I'd hope that when he does stop playing, we can find him something way more valuable than a purely ambassadorial role.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
A sad day when we have to say goodbye to these three

_89755531_greerzamora.jpgcalde-l-1229-2161613_478x359.jpg

But the right decision

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Given his football experience, coupled with his teaching and sports psychology qualifications, I'd hope that when he does stop playing, we can find him something way more valuable than a purely ambassadorial role.

I used that as an example only because I don't really know all the roles that are kicking around or what might be available in the ''situations vacant'' at the club when he does eventually hang up his boots.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean

Maybe a few of the DS squad are ready for the jump up to the 1st team squad?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
5 have been released and none of them were in the first team. Greer only played when Dunk was suspended.
The two loanees have gone back to their club, but that's not to say that Sidwell isn't having talks to come back.

I assume we can't offer Sidwell a contract or make an approach until he officially becomes a free agent or is offered a new deal.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Well I'm delighted that Bruno should be here next year. Love the fella.

Business is business though. We gotta plan for the future. Calde and Greer deserve huge thanks for their efforts over the years. Hopefully, the boffins can bring in very close like-for-like younger replacements.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here