Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] New cycle lane a259 Brighton

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
All fully operational now. Been for a ride all the way along this morning. Not just there, the valley garden works seem to be almost done with all three sections open (weirdy they opened the middle section first, then early this week the bit by st peter's church, and today the bit by the University/King and Queen was now open, allowing me to cycle on the cycle path from the level to the old steine. It's currently nice and smooth, but they appear to have planted young trees along side the new cycle path, which is obviously going to lead to big tree roots growing and making the path uneven as it is around the level.

It was close to 10am, so most of the morning traffic had cleared, the approach from the steine to the roundabout was quite clear (only two cars waiting as I approached), the traffic along the other side of the roundabout was constantly moving, albeit slowly. For the first bit it felt like I was the only one using the on road cycle lane, but past the bottom of west street I caught up with a couple more, and noticed as we went along more cyclists realising it was now open and coming off the pavement path to join the one on the road. It may take a few days or more for people to get used to it, but I think it will eventually get a good amount of usage, certainly more so than the one at old shoreham road. I've used the OSR one a couple of times, but only on days off when I'm using it just to use it rather than to get anywhere in particular.

I understand that the changes are not overly popular with drivers, to say the least, and I don't mean to say this to wind up drivers, but I rather enjoyed my morning cycle on both new paths

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
All fully operational now. Been for a ride all the way along this morning. Not just there, the valley garden works seem to be almost done with all three sections open (weirdy they opened the middle section first, then early this week the bit by st peter's church, and today the bit by the University/King and Queen was now open, allowing me to cycle on the cycle path from the level to the old steine. It's currently nice and smooth, but they appear to have planted young trees along side the new cycle path, which is obviously going to lead to big tree roots growing and making the path uneven as it is around the level.

It was close to 10am, so most of the morning traffic had cleared, the approach from the steine to the roundabout was quite clear (only two cars waiting as I approached), the traffic along the other side of the roundabout was constantly moving, albeit slowly. For the first bit it felt like I was the only one using the on road cycle lane, but past the bottom of west street I caught up with a couple more, and noticed as we went along more cyclists realising it was now open and coming off the pavement path to join the one on the road. It may take a few days or more for people to get used to it, but I think it will eventually get a good amount of usage, certainly more so than the one at old shoreham road. I've used the OSR one a couple of times, but only on days off when I'm using it just to use it rather than to get anywhere in particular.

I understand that the changes are not overly popular with drivers, to say the least, and I don't mean to say this to wind up drivers, but I rather enjoyed my morning cycle on both new paths
Yeah I'm looking forward to my commute home today.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
For the first bit it felt like I was the only one using the on road cycle lane, but past the bottom of west street I caught up with a couple more, and noticed as we went along more cyclists realising it was now open and coming off the pavement path to join the one on the road. It may take a few days or more for people to get used to it, but I think it will eventually get a good amount of usage, certainly more so than the one at old shoreham road. I've used the OSR one a couple of times, but only on days off when I'm using it just to use it rather than to get anywhere in particular.

As a non resident of Brighton and little need to drive that route, I nevertheless find myself interested in why there was a need to introduce another bike lane there and what is the advantage of having a bike lane almost alongside another bike lane? On the surface, it seems absurd, but there must be a reason.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Great to read, are you sure you were in Brighton as that doesn't sound like anything I've read here.

At this point I'd like to write:-

'un-f**kin-believable'.

but they appear to have planted young trees along side the new cycle path, which is obviously going to lead to big tree roots growing and making the path uneven as it is around the level

But it just isn't, oh well I'm sure they meant well.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As a non resident of Brighton and little need to drive that route, I nevertheless find myself interested in why there was a need to introduce another bike lane there and what is the advantage of having a bike lane almost alongside another bike lane? On the surface, it seems absurd, but there must be a reason.

A question without a great answer, because it appears to have been a rushed decision, under covid-19 funding in response to government guidance regarding social distancing. I imagine there are also elements of politics regarding encouraging people to be more active (such as the push to reduce obesity that has had a renewed effort of late), reducing of car usage for environmental aims etc.

The main stated idea was to aid social distancing. The on-pavement bike path narrows at various points, particularly along by the lawns, pushing cyclists closer together. To extend the existing bike path on the pavement would a) reduce pedestrian space pushing pedestrians into crowded areas making it difficult for them to socially distance b) require removing paving slabs and laying a proper cycle path along large portions of the pavement (some parts of it are already tarmac, so those bits would be fine, but there are also large stretches with paving slabs). By putting one lane in the road the space restriction is on cars and motor vehicles where social distancing is unaffected, and there is, apparently, no need to tarmac any area for the new path.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Great to read, are you sure you were in Brighton as that doesn't sound like anything I've read here.

At this point I'd like to write:-

'un-f**kin-believable'.

but they appear to have planted young trees along side the new cycle path, which is obviously going to lead to big tree roots growing and making the path uneven as it is around the level

But it just isn't, oh well I'm sure they meant well.

I'm sure the traffic would have been worse had I got there earlier. Previously this week I've been down there closer to 9 and the tail back at the roundabout was more pronounced, and there was less movement along the road.

The new valley gardens things is nice. I'm no arborist, maybe the trees are different and they have been selected to avoid the roots interrupting the bike path, and they are quite young so I'll probably have long since stopped cycling along there (or anywhere) by the time the trees are big enough to have that sort of impact.

But it also seems like the exiting trees weren't considered too greatly - they have largely stayed where they are which is in the middle of what is, I understand, meant to be 'the pedestrian' bit of the path around the gardens (there are also pedestrian paths crossing the gardens). Making the pedestrian bits more of an obstacle course - people with pushchairs, wheelchairs etc, having to navigate around the trees, and I fully expect the majority to just walk along the bike path instead.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
A question without a great answer, because it appears to have been a rushed decision, under covid-19 funding in response to government guidance regarding social distancing. I imagine there are also elements of politics regarding encouraging people to be more active (such as the push to reduce obesity that has had a renewed effort of late), reducing of car usage for environmental aims etc.

The main stated idea was to aid social distancing. The on-pavement bike path narrows at various points, particularly along by the lawns, pushing cyclists closer together. To extend the existing bike path on the pavement would a) reduce pedestrian space pushing pedestrians into crowded areas making it difficult for them to socially distance b) require removing paving slabs and laying a proper cycle path along large portions of the pavement (some parts of it are already tarmac, so those bits would be fine, but there are also large stretches with paving slabs). By putting one lane in the road the space restriction is on cars and motor vehicles where social distancing is unaffected, and there is, apparently, no need to tarmac any area for the new path.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Again I have absolutely no idea why posters don't want this for Brighton:-

[tweet]1296298464360292352[/tweet]

I guess Vienna isn't a tourism city, like Brighton.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Whatever happens, there are always losers. They can divert traffic from the coast road to the A27 - and the congestion in Woodingdean will be horrific.

Lol funny you should mention it...i had four pieces of work today 3 in Hove and one out near the marina...fed up of driving along the seafront so went up on a27 and turned off at Falmer..queue for Woodingdean was back to the traffic lights near the ground ..doh

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Can you imagine the GAMMON RAGE if we improved Brighton like that!?

I would love that for the city centre Brighton, it would be great if possible. North Street, North Laine area, the Lanes areas which aren't already, Western Road etc. Roads which aren't main through roads across the city.

Very different to bunging a cycle lane on one of the busiest through roads in the city with no real alternative, though (and no, the a27 isn't much of an alternative for people in Kemptown, the Marina, Saltdean etc to get into town or across to Central Hove, etc) . A quick look at the map of Vienna on Google Maps shows plenty of main roads still cutting across the city in all directions. Like it or not, cars aren't going to disappear ffs. You have to provide routes across a city for cars, and the a259 is a main route across the city for many, many people. All cities that have extensive pedestrianised city centres will still have routes across the city for cars, and usually also public transport systems like trams etc.

Last edited:

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Vienna subways which transport 428 mllion passengers per year, exist since 1976 and are operated by the Wiener Linien.

173D2062-AB7A-4F4E-BADB-C11F2D833608.jpeg

Might have some bearing on why things work in Vienna.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Vienna subways which transport 428 mllion passengers per year, exist since 1976 and are operated by the Wiener Linien.

View attachment 127426

Exactly. Makes it just a tiny bit easier to completely rework a city centre. There's also plenty of main roads still cutting across the city centre, too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

and yet the city centre was still awash with cars until the mayor said 'enough is enough'.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The section from the aquarium to West Street will be removed tonight after complaints from the bus company.

The rest, where the pavement is much wider and there was already lots of room for everyone, remains.

Between 7.50 and 8am this morning, I saw 7 separate westbound cyclists on the seafront. 6 of them were riding on the pavement path.

Just up the road, within about 30 seconds, I saw as many again using Church Road (no cycle lanes) as their East-West route, rather than dropping down one block to the seafront.

Whether or not it’s a good idea, it doesn’t seem to work that well.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Victory to common sense.
A few days ago there was a fire in the Shoreham area. Fire engines were stuck in the queue trying to get through. Ambulances shot up the wrong side of the road almost colliding with cars going East.
Wouldn't be surprised if they now close the East bound side instead.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

View attachment 127426

Also a comprehensive tram system which means you can get pretty much anywhere without having to use a car. Regardless of the latest kerfuffle over individual cycling lanes, it is time to get serious about reducing car use in not only this but all cities. Ever increasing car use is simply not sustainable.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Victory to common sense.
A few days ago there was a fire in the Shoreham area. Fire engines were stuck in the queue trying to get through. Ambulances shot up the wrong side of the road almost colliding with cars going East.
Wouldn't be surprised if they now close the East bound side instead.

Much better going through that area this morning, the bottle neck barriers at the Sea Life have been removed and so far the tail backs previously experienced have disappeared.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here