Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] New cycle lane a259 Brighton

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I said AKIN to a ring road, it’s the main Southern route around the city.

I’ll say it to you too watch out for electric scooters filling the cycle lanes soon!!

I'm getting one. Excellent urban transport solution. Those wider cycle lanes will be perfect for them. If we're going to have a chance of fighting climate change and improving the air we breathe these are the sorts of innovations we're going to need.

I like your use of "around" the city :)

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I'm getting one. Excellent urban transport solution. Those wider cycle lanes will be perfect for them. If we're going to have a chance of fighting climate change and improving the air we breathe these are the sorts of innovations we're going to need.

I like your use of "around" the city :)

I’m going to get one too and become a nuisance to cyclists, along with others, cyclists will soon san bollox to this and get the bus! [emoji3]

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I’m going to get one too and become a nuisance to cyclists, along with others, cyclists will soon san bollox to this and get the bus! [emoji3]

See you on the A259 mate. King Alfred to the pier. Last one there buys the beer

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
I said AKIN to a ring road, it’s the main Southern route around the city.

I’ll say it to you too watch out for electric scooters filling the cycle lanes soon!!

But its not a route round the city it goes straight gbrough the centre. Asouthern ringroad would bee in the sea.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
So therefore the A259 is Akin to a southern ring road as it’s the most southerly route, through the city is Western Road !!!

Ok so we differ on this. To try and be constructive do you think it would be a good idea to pursuade drivers using a259 to travel through the city to use the proper northern bypass instead? I guess that might involve improved signage of ways onto the a27 from the south.

Do you accept that drivers might need to accept some level of inconvenience in terms of additional travel time to help improve the city environment or must the needs of the driver trump everything else?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The knock on effects. Even BHCC have admitted being aware of new congestion issues on the A27.

5975FA94-C61F-4236-8200-7F226204A489.png

A14E6CB8-E7CF-42A3-BF41-3006889A2268.png

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Ok so we differ on this. To try and be constructive do you think it would be a good idea to pursuade drivers using a259 to travel through the city to use the proper northern bypass instead? I guess that might involve improved signage of ways onto the a27 from the south.

Do you accept that drivers might need to accept some level of inconvenience in terms of additional travel time to help improve the city environment or must the needs of the driver trump everything else?

The fella ain't gonna get there I'm afraid ... now if you'll excuse me I'm just off to kayak my way round the Brighton ring road

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

My first point would be why should anyone suffer inconvenience when we are as a non manufacturing city trying to encourage visitors.

The challenge is drivers coming from the west heading towards say Rottingdean Saltdean Peacehaven Newhaven who start their journey south of the A270 are going to take some persuading to head to the North of Brighton to the 27.

The problem with links to the 27 are the west coat line crossings, currently Boundary Road,Sackville Road and the Drive!

I would consider for example making the 259 a toll road one way though with concessions for locals and delivery’s?

I don’t know the answer to this but are there more cars users on the road than bikes?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The fella ain't gonna get there I'm afraid ... now if you'll excuse me I'm just off to kayak my way round the Brighton ring road

I don’t think you’re getting there, what I’m saying is and not by design, the A259 has become an equivalent of a southern ring road providing up until now a fair straightforward alternative west east route, I’m assuming you’ve lived in the city long enough to remember the A27 being the OSR running through to the Upper Lewes Road beyond towards Falmer, now that would be a main artery THROUGH the city.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
My first point would be why should anyone suffer inconvenience when we are as a non manufacturing city trying to encourage visitors.

The challenge is drivers coming from the west heading towards say Rottingdean Saltdean Peacehaven Newhaven who start their journey south of the A270 are going to take some persuading to head to the North of Brighton to the 27.

The problem with links to the 27 are the west coat line crossings, currently Boundary Road,Sackville Road and the Drive!

I would consider for example making the 259 a toll road one way though with concessions for locals and delivery’s?

I don’t know the answer to this but are there more cars users on the road than bikes?

Thans for the reply. One or two comments: surely you dont think that we should be encouraging more visitors to come by car? That would be madness as cars were already gridlocked in places without the cycle lane controversy.

We have a problem that would best be sorted by good planning. Unfortunately the Govt has offered short term help which the council has to take or leave. Obviously it would be better if we could create viable park and ride schemes but the money for those doesnt exist.

It is the govt that wants to encourage walking and cycling so blaming the council wont do and certainly blaming the greens is wrong when most of the schemes originated when the labour group were leading.

We have to get away from the mindset that prioritises cars over everything else. We need to tackle the through traffic on a259 and encourage walking and cycling for shorter journeys and for city residents encourage use of public transport although I accept that public transport is a problem whilst the covid crisis is still on.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Because there are drives for greener, more sustainable transport, and history has shown simply making life better for cyclists without any inconvenience to drivers does not encourage more people to give up their cars and use alternative modes of transport. The inconvenience is a necessary part of the design if you want to encourage people to reduce reliance on cars.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
The council as of 2009 only had 568 Hackney licensed cars ( Green & White ones you can hail) with a max of 5 new ones each year, they scrapped the restrictions and now have just short of 1000 Hackney Cars, this on top of Private Hire which also numbers nearly 1000.

Yes that is insane and doesnt include ubers that register in other councils?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

The annoyance of seeing a granny zoom away on a hover board, scooter, longboard, eletric bike pales into insignificance compared to vehicles that can kill me. And we are quicker than a bus even us old manual dudes.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Funny that they do it, then consult afterwards. I guess the consultation is before they make it permanent. Also maybe it helps that people can actually see the consequences of the change and then comment on that rather than speculating.

Personally i think they should find better quality permanent solutions. It seems like in most cases if they spend the money on proper segregated cycle lanes they could probably do that using the existing pavement width plus a bit of the road width if needed and still retain the existing lanes for vehicles. That would cost more money but would be safer and we would not have this consequence of additional air pollution from all the standing traffic. And would not cause so much wasted time and frustration for drivers.

Would cost more money to do it properly obviously but would be worth it in the long term.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm sure we all agree this is a worthy petition, for us all to get behind:-

[tweet]1296074205935669248[/tweet]

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Whatever happens, there are always losers. They can divert traffic from the coast road to the A27 - and the congestion in Woodingdean will be horrific.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here