[Brighton] New cycle lane a259 Brighton

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I think what these cycle lane changes will male public transport the first thought someone will have when planning a journey

If I was planning a trip to say, the Natural History Museum, my first thought, wouldn’t be to plan a route to drive to Kensington. My first thought would be “right, how much would a train and a tube (or bus) be?”

Brighton and most of the other cities up and down the UK are 20 years behind London, but that thinking will change quickly. When congestion charging and mass cycle lanes were introduced, the driving lobby predicted the death knell for London city attractions. It hasn’t happened there and it won’t happen here.

Is the correct answer. But London depends a lot on overseas tourists and my guess is places such as the London Eye are well down on numbers. Brighton on the other hand (remember I'm in the tourist trade here) depends 80% on UK visitors, many are day trippers from London and surrounding area. It's cheaper and easier to bundle a family of four into a car and drive down. On the other hand a visit at 8pm to Brighton Station may surprise you how many 1000's do catch the train.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
This and the stupid one on old Shoreham Road need to be scrapped, immediately!
. Whoever signed this off has to walk or be sacked, name and shame them! Disgraceful what has happened to this city. Get them out

Again I draw your attention to a chance meeting I had with the designer of these lanes. During a one hour heated discussion his attitude was simple. Take away the roads and the car drivers will stop driving. He was with RJ Dance, the workers who are building the lane.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Is the correct answer. But London depends a lot on overseas tourists and my guess is places such as the London Eye are well down on numbers. Brighton on the other hand (remember I'm in the tourist trade here) depends 80% on UK visitors, many are day trippers from London and surrounding area. It's cheaper and easier to bundle a family of four into a car and drive down. On the other hand a visit at 8pm to Brighton Station may surprise you how many 1000's do catch the train.

I suppose that's the thought process they are looking to tackle.

I get that there has to be carrot to go with the stick and discussions on park and rides and the reliability of the train service are going to come back into focus.

I just think in a few years time when COVID is over (I'm praying) and the economy is something more normal, people up and down the country are going have as their first thought, "I want to visit X city today, what are my public transport options" rather than defaulting to a car.

I'm optimistic about this. I don't think people are going to abandon coming to Brighton or other cities, because they need to use public/sustainable transport rather than car. People still want what cities have got to offer. I don't deny there's a pain barrier to go through though, I don't wish misery and delay on people. But this is a path we need to take

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
As long as you avoid 3:30 to 7:00 on any weekday afternoon, and often Saturdays. A huge slow moving traffic jam, from the Downs Hotel stretching back 3/4 of the way to Falmer South.

Okay

A27, Coldean Lane, Lewes Road, Coombe Road, Bear Road, Wilson Avenue.

Or get the train and the 7.

Or train then bike. Or bike all the way.

It's not going to be long before you can't make excuses for people to take drives bang through the middle of town. What if everyone wanted to do that all the time? Nobody would get anywhere.

SuperBrighton

Apr 18, 2012
Hove
Not sure if mentioned already but the Argus reporting today about 4 new cycle lanes that have been proposed by the council: https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/18660641.four-new-cycle-lanes-proposed-brighton-hove/

The already useless OSR cycle lane will be extended: "The extension of the current cycle lane on Old Shoreham Road, Hove, from Hangleton Road to the western border with West Sussex"

The a259 cycle lane will run from Duke's Mound all the way to the 'western city boundary': "an extension of the westbound segregated cycle lane on the A259 seafront road from Fourth Avenue and the city’s western boundary." & "cycle lane on the A259 Marine Parade between the Palace Pier and Duke’s Mound is also proposed".

Both involve parking being removed. Utterly ridiculous.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I suppose that's the thought process they are looking to tackle.

I get that there has to be carrot to go with the stick and discussions on park and rides and the reliability of the train service are going to come back into focus.

I just think in a few years time when COVID is over (I'm praying) and the economy is something more normal, people up and down the country are going have as their first thought, "I want to visit X city today, what are my public transport options" rather than defaulting to a car.

I'm optimistic about this. I don't think people are going to abandon coming to Brighton or other cities, because they need to use public/sustainable transport rather than car. People still want what cities have got to offer. I don't deny there's a pain barrier to go through though, I don't wish misery and delay on people. But this is a path we need to take
A super off peak return from Abergavenny (my nearest train station 6 miles away) to Brighton on Saturday 12th September would cost £365.40 for me and my family and would take four and a half hours just for the train (I won’t include the £15 taxi fare or hassle to get to Abergavenny as there are no buses).

The same journey by car takes three and a half hours and costs £60 in petrol.

It’s too far to cycle.

edit: just checked National Express coaches and we could go from Newport (25 miles from my house) to Brighton for around £110 on the same day. The journey takes 6 hours 50 minutes.

Last edited:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
When normal times return, you can't ignore the excuse of a trip on the Volks railway when visiting the Marina. Lovely

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Okay

It's not going to be long before you can't make excuses for people to take drives bang through the middle of town. What if everyone wanted to do that all the time? Nobody would get anywhere.

There does already seem to be a rosy specced view of that stretch of road.

As said, I would legally ride on the inside lane of that road (the path wasn't safe) somewhere around 16 - 18 mph.

I'd 'race' a notable vehicle and see if I could get to SHOREHAM quicker than them.
As a rule I'd say I get pipped around the car auction.

I think my best was just east of Brooklands Worthing.

At no point would I ever 'lose' the race in Hove.

Edit - Scratch that.
I now have a mental picture of turning left at Warwick Street Worthing as a blue/grey box van turned right.

So I have ridden, granted quicker than your average day tripper, at the same speed from the centre of Brighton to the centre of Worthing, as pretty much all traffic.

That is not a viable transport system.

(I'll hazard a guess they stayed on the coast road because they couldn't be arsed with Lancing, Lyons Farm and Broadwater, which is appalling for a 21st century rich country)

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Okay

I wasn’t.

If a resident of Worthing, Shoreham or Southwick wants to visit Brighton Marina, all routes are increasingly very offputting. Remember too that by making the A259 hellish, more traffic in general heads to other routes increasing jams on the Lewes Road and Falmer Road. The Falmer Road jams have lengthened substantially in the last 5 years.

To avoid that, friends of mine now commute home from Lewes to Rottingdean via Beddingham and Newhaven. Others go to the cinema in Crawley, a 50 mile round trip.

Is any of the above helping the planet? Displaced traffic must be considered.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
A super off peak return from Abergavenny (my nearest train station 6 miles away) to Brighton on Saturday 12th September would cost £365.40 for me and my family and would take four and a half hours just for the train (I won’t include the £15 taxi fare or hassle to get to Abergavenny as there are no buses).

The same journey by car takes three and a half hours and costs £60 in petrol.

It’s too far to cycle.

a) You're right. Trains are too expensive. They should be heavily subsidised by the state. They are a societal and environmental need
b) 3 and a half hours from Abergavenny. Either you travel at night or you're the stig
c) Nobody is restricting motorway intercity driving. You might just not be able to easily get as close to where you're staying, (in Brighton or whatever other destination) as you've been used to as city centre's are going to be harder to drive into and through. This is going to happen all over the world. Totally accept we need to have a conversation about where exactly people in your position should be leaving their car.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
a) You're right. Trains are too expensive. They should be heavily subsidised by the state. They are a societal and environmental need
b) 3 and a half hours from Abergavenny. Either you travel at night or you're the stig
c) Nobody is restricting motorway intercity driving. You might just not be able to easily get as close to where you're staying, (in Brighton or whatever other destination) as you've been used to as city centre's are going to be harder to drive into and through. This is going to happen all over the world. Totally accept we need to have a conversation about where exactly people in your position should be leaving their car.
I usually set off at around 9.30 to get in to Brighton for 1pm for home games on Saturdays.

As it stands, my car is the only viable means of transport available to do the trip.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Not sure if mentioned already but the Argus reporting today about 4 new cycle lanes that have been proposed by the council: https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/18660641.four-new-cycle-lanes-proposed-brighton-hove/

The already useless OSR cycle lane will be extended: "The extension of the current cycle lane on Old Shoreham Road, Hove, from Hangleton Road to the western border with West Sussex"

The a259 cycle lane will run from Duke's Mound all the way to the 'western city boundary': "an extension of the westbound segregated cycle lane on the A259 seafront road from Fourth Avenue and the city’s western boundary." & "cycle lane on the A259 Marine Parade between the Palace Pier and Duke’s Mound is also proposed".

Both involve parking being removed. Utterly ridiculous.

Theres already a cycle lane on the promenade!!! stupid

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
When normal times return, you can't ignore the excuse of a trip on the Volks railway when visiting the Marina. Lovely

I can see that, someone’s got a business meeting at the marina and thinks, I know let’s get the books railway to the appointment [emoji23][emoji23]

What are you going to suggest next, someone who works at L & G Hove park gets the miniature railway in the park to Nando’s??

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Like many people, I'm a cyclist, motorist, pedestrian and user of public transport. I think the council has ballsed this up, not least by putting in an unnecessary cycle lane along the seafront when we already have one. It's particularly redundant west of West Street.

But I did wonder when I read someone somewhere on social media complaining that their bus journey from the seafront to Preston Circus was so slow that they got out and walked. Could there be a lesson there? (Yes, I know that not everyone is fit enough to walk - but most are).

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I usually set off at around 9.30 to get in to Brighton for 1pm for home games on Saturdays.

As it stands, my car is the only viable means of transport available to do the trip.

OK then, so you don't actually have to drive into Brighton at all, let alone anywhere near the Kings Road. That's what we're talking about here (see thread title).

Good effort on your long distance support

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I can see that, someone’s got a business meeting at the marina and thinks, I know let’s get the books railway to the appointment [emoji23][emoji23]

What are you going to suggest next, someone who works at L & G Hove park gets the miniature railway in the park to Nando’s??

I work there. And some of my colleagues drive to the Goldstone retail park ... which to me is objectionable at every level. It's that sort of thinking and just laziness which needs to change. I'll have a look into the mini railway route :)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
OK then, so you don't actually have to drive into Brighton at all, let alone anywhere near the Kings Road. That's what we're talking about here (see thread title).

Good effort on your long distance support
The point being that for families traveling from afar (tourists) public transport to Brighton is expensive and prohibitive so provision needs to be made for motorists. Sometimes a car is the only viable choice.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
a) You're right. Trains are too expensive. They should be heavily subsidised by the state. .

Which State?

c2c: Italian state

Chiltern: German state

Caledonian sleeper: PRIVATE

CrossCountry: German state

East Midlands: Dutch state

Eurostar: French state

Gatwick Express: French state

Grand Central: German state

Great Northern: French state

GWR: PRIVATE

Greater Anglia: Dutch state

Heathrow Express: PRIVATE

Hull Trains: PRIVATE

LNER: British state

London Northwestern Railway: Dutch state

London Overground: German state

London Underground: British state

Merseyrail: Dutch state

Northern: German state

Northern Ireland Railways: British state

Scotrail: Dutch state

South Western Railway: Hong Kong state

Southeastern: French state

Southern: French state

Stansted Express: Dutch state

TfL rail: Hong Kong state

Thameslink: French state

TransPennine Express: PRIVATE

Transport for Wales: French state

West Coast: Italian state

West Midlands Railway: Dutch state

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Which State?

c2c: Italian state

Chiltern: German state

Caledonian sleeper: PRIVATE

CrossCountry: German state

East Midlands: Dutch state

Eurostar: French state

Gatwick Express: French state

Grand Central: German state

Great Northern: French state

GWR: PRIVATE

Greater Anglia: Dutch state

Heathrow Express: PRIVATE

Hull Trains: PRIVATE

LNER: British state

London Northwestern Railway: Dutch state

London Overground: German state

London Underground: British state

Merseyrail: Dutch state

Northern: German state

Northern Ireland Railways: British state

Scotrail: Dutch state

South Western Railway: Hong Kong state

Southeastern: French state

Southern: French state

Stansted Express: Dutch state

TfL rail: Hong Kong state

Thameslink: French state

TransPennine Express: PRIVATE

Transport for Wales: French state

West Coast: Italian state

West Midlands Railway: Dutch state

I said subsidised. You're referring to money which is being removed from the system

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports