Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] New constituency boundary proposals

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I don't see why that is necessary anymore than a Sussex constituency should automatically encompass part of the Downs. And taking it further, a place like the Pier or the Pavilion is emblematic of the entire Brighton and Hove area - should they also be split?

And what exactly prevents Caroline Lucas from commenting about coastal matters even if her constituency wouldn't have the seafront as part of it? She somehow manages to have been extremely vocal about fracking in Balcombe and I'm pretty sure her constituency boundaries fall well short of Crawley.

I think Balcombe is in the Horsham constituency?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Seems completely fair to me. Each MP should represent roughly the same number of people. What could be more democratic than that? At the moment you have a disproportionate number of people for some MP's which can't be right.

The fact that it is likely to help keep the loony lefties out of power is an added bonus.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
wow, so the east brighton-seaford one is bloody huge!

How can East Brighton be lumped in with Seaford ?

Cool, I'm moving back to Brighton. Is my house price going to quadruple?

And looking at the report it's going to be called Brighton East and Newhaven. The Saltdean/Peacehaven/Seaford yokels won't be impressed.

Good, we've been neglected for too long!!

On the plus side, it's not that huge, it's only 12 miles from Brighton to Seaford, and even better, we lose Lewes.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
of course its not fair, its going to impact Labour more because they hold more of the smaller seats. chuckled at claims millions will be left out, only those who chose not to be on the electoral role will be missed out.

Ah yes, the recently revised electoral role that made it harder for recently arrived and the more transient residents to sign up to who, funnily enough, rarely vote Tory.

What is an electoral role? Is it like a returning officer?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
It is a PROPOSAL for CONSULTATION.

I saw an interview with the BCE main man on TV... they are expecting masses of changes and modifications, based on exactly these sort of observations... but the target is 74,769 +/- 5% for each new constituency.

This is the important point. If we have a first past the post system, then it makes a lot of sense to have, as far as possible, equally sized constituencies in population terms.
But it also makes a lot of sense for constituency boundaries to correspond as far as possible, to natural or social boundaries so that the areas contained within them are coherent communities that have something in common, and are therefore easier for a single member of parliament to represent. I'm not convinced that the three new proposed constituencies for the Brighton/Hove conurbation do this - at first glance, they seem less coherent than the existing ones and look as if they've been drawn up by someone armed with census statistics and no understanding of the local area, and I'd have thought there's a good case here for revisions. Seems odd that they don't take soundings locally before they come out with the first draft of these.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ah yes, the recently revised electoral role that made it harder for recently arrived and the more transient residents to sign up to who, funnily enough, rarely vote Tory.

The recent increases in electoral fraud which overwhelmingly involve recently arrived people has made the stricter rules necessary. Surely it's better to have tighter rules about something as important as the integrity of our democracy rather than risk having situations such as Mayor Rahman in Tower Hamlets?

Edit - and I have little sympathy for any UK resident, newly arrived or long-time, who can't get their arse in gear to register to vote. There's over a dozen different different language formats for these forms. If they are in the UK and working then they have filled in an NI form, if they are not working then they have filled in at least two or three benefit forms. What's so difficult about a voter registration form?

Last edited:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
No change for Staffordshire Moorlands (the odd street etc) however in 1997 Labour win 25K v 15K for the Blues twenty years on it,s the other way around what does that tell you ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Seems an odd one. Seaford and Eastbourne would seem a better fit but I can see the sense of the Newhaven westwards coastal strip

The constituency starts at Newhaven at the moment, because Peacehaven westwards comes under Kemp Town (Simon Kirby). It's only adding in Seaford for the new boundary and losing Lewes.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This is an OUTRAGE. My constituency will disappear and we will be lumped in with the OIKS from Altrincham.

The country will be poorer now that the opportunity to be represented by the likes of Neil Hamilton and Gideon Osborne is going to disappear.

Might as well emigrate to Russia now the lefties are fiddling with the boundaries.

Last person out of the country turn off the lights and leave a note for the milkman.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why do they bother? PR is the future, not this outdated, undemocratic mess of a system.

Whilst I agree with you. it's only because of people voting against in in the previous referendum that we don't have at least a form of PR.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Why do they bother? PR is the future, not this outdated, undemocratic mess of a system.

Already voted on and rejected by the electorate! Pity, but that's democracy for you.

Feel the same about Brexit but that's another thread (already enormous) which I lost interest in weeks ago. Realised some while ago that these threads don't change anyone's opinion.

Think I'll stick to football threads in future! Same problem with entrenched opinions but a lot more interesting......!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Italy are trying to remove the point of their PR by giving the largest party an overall majority in parliament, whilst Spain are heading for a third election in a row without a proper government. Neither of those suggest that PR in Europe is necessarily a solution to representative government.

As for the boundary review, I would suggest it should be re-done using voter data from June 2016 or later. That will remove the more legitimate complaints against it. The current law wants boundary reviews every five years, but every ten years (as it used to be) would be a more sensible approach. Of course, the boundaries should be reviewed now in any case. The last change was for the 2010 election, so it makes sense to change them for the 2020 one.

The other issue is the reduction in the number of MPs to 600. It used to be around 630 MPs, but the number kept creeping up. I would suggest that fixing it at 630 might be better. But then I would also remove the set MP for the islands in Scotland with only 21,000 people and I'm sure that will never happen.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Alternative vote was rejected, not PR. There are a huge number of other voting systems. To have one vote on one system is not saying anything really.

Going off topic further, I find it interesting how a whole cohort voted for Brexit in the referendum on the basis of sticking their finger up at the establishment telling them to vote to remain and yet were happy to vote for the establishment in a referendum in which the establishment were telling people how to vote just a few years before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here