Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] New console - technical advice needed

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Need advice on Xbox/PlayStation 5/Nintendo switch

Any techies out there with any knowledge or advice? Are any of them vastly superior?

Always been a PlayStation player but my 4 is dying...

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Nintendo Switch is by far the least powerful of the three. It can only display in a lower resolution at lower frames per second, but it is also portable and has a great selection of exclusive games you can't play anywhere else. Also the cheapest and easiest to get your hands on at the moment.

Between the other two it largely comes down to preference. The controllers are different and the PS5 controller has really good haptic feedback.

Every Xbox exclusive is also available on PC so if you have a decent PC you can play them on there, whereas the PS5 exclusives aren't on PC.

The only one I own is the Switch as I don't really play console anymore, PC is the way to go for the best experience IMO.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Nintendo Switch is by far the least powerful of the three. It can only display in a lower resolution at lower frames per second, but it is also portable and has a great selection of exclusive games you can't play anywhere else. Also the cheapest and easiest to get your hands on at the moment.

Between the other two it largely comes down to preference. The controllers are different and the PS5 controller has really good haptic feedback.

Every Xbox exclusive is also available on PC so if you have a decent PC you can play them on there, whereas the PS5 exclusives aren't on PC.

The only one I own is the Switch as I don't really play console anymore, PC is the way to go for the best experience IMO.
I was thinking that but was looking for a more family friendly option, with more options to be able to play co-op

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Upgraded my PS4 to 5 a few months ago. The difference is startling. Very happy with it.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
If you've already got a PS4 the most logical thing is to go with the PS5, most games are backwardly compatible. If you've have PS Plus then you'll still have access to your Instant Game Collection on the new console too. Some more recent PS4 games have had a free PS5 upgrade so if you've got any of them in your collection you'll be able to play the PS5 version straight away without re-buying the game.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Think an Occulus Quest should come into the conversation too depending on what sort of gaming you want.

giphy.gif

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Think an Occulus Quest should come into the conversation too depending on what sort of gaming you want.
If this is the Virtual reality headset then it's a no go really, it sets off motion sickness for me

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
You won't notice the difference in the specs between the xbox or playstation while playing. Not worth fretting over. I simply choose which console exclusives you prefer. After all it's a gaming console primarily. I have a ps4 and will upgrade to a ps5. Sonys exclusives are superior. I actually prefer the xbox console as its easier to upgrade parts like hard drive.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
obvious question is why is it dying, is it repairable. second question, do you really want to spank cash on a new one, latest PS or Xbox arent cheap. buy a replacment PS4. or that and a Nintendo Switch.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
obvious question is why is it dying, is it repairable. second question, do you really want to spank cash on a new one, latest PS or Xbox arent cheap. buy a replacment PS4. or that and a Nintendo Switch.
No idea if it's repairable but it randomly ejects disks, sometimes makes the noise to eject but doesn't, and the fan is starting to get really loud.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I have just upgraded to a PS5 from a PS4. It’s absolutely fabulous. The speed look and feel of it are a big step up.

Not that many PS5 only games yet but the ones that are available are excellent.

I got mine from official PlayStation. Just registered my interest to buy and had one within 3 weeks without paying stupid prices to scalpers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No idea if it's repairable but it randomly ejects disks, sometimes makes the noise to eject but doesn't, and the fan is starting to get really loud.

a good hover with narrow nozzel around the vent ducts might help the later, consoles get alot of dust that interferes cooling, so fan works harder. ejecting could be a simple fix, ask on ps4chat.com

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Only computer game I’ve ever played was space invaders built into a coffee table at a squash club in NYC , was around 1984 I think , so I doubt I’m much help ! Hehe

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I have just upgraded to a PS5 from a PS4. It’s absolutely fabulous. The speed look and feel of it are a big step up.

Not that many PS5 only games yet but the ones that are available are excellent.

I got mine from official PlayStation. Just registered my interest to buy and had one within 3 weeks without paying stupid prices to scalpers.

It certainly is a big step up. You can't get away how ugly and bulky it is. I'm in no rush to upgrade yet. The slim version should be available in the next 12-18 months.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
The easiest part of that to answer is the Switch, steer clear. I had one a while back and it's just a gimmick that will very quickly gather dust. It's very much aimed at kids. Graphically still a generation behind.

The other two are so similar it's all about preference and what exclusives you're into. I've had a PS5 since day one as I've always had PlayStation's, I prefer the games.
The controller is so much better on the PS5, the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers are amazing.
In terms of performance they're much the same, most games make you choose between native 4k at 30fps or dynamic 4k at 60fps which is what I use.
I would definitely recommend getting an internal nvme SSD if you go for the PS5 as the internal memory can be eaten up quite quickly as some games are 100gb+

boik

The easiest part of that to answer is the Switch, steer clear. I had one a while back and it's just a gimmick that will very quickly gather dust. It's very much aimed at kids. Graphically still a generation behind.

The other two are so similar it's all about preference and what exclusives you're into. I've had a PS5 since day one as I've always had PlayStation's, I prefer the games.
The controller is so much better on the PS5, the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers are amazing.
In terms of performance they're much the same, most games make you choose between native 4k at 30fps or dynamic 4k at 60fps which is what I use.
I would definitely recommend getting an internal nvme SSD if you go for the PS5 as the internal memory can be eaten up quite quickly as some games are 100gb+

100GB for a game!! The first mainframe I worked on had 5MB Head-per-track disks and we ran a banks IT system on that!

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
100GB for a game!! The first mainframe I worked on had 5MB Head-per-track disks and we ran a banks IT system on that!

_20220605_124154.JPG

Current version of Gran Turismo 7 is 109.2gb and obviously that will increase with updates.
GTAV is 92gb, Horizon forbidden west is 99gb, it's just how big games are these days.
Gone are the days of loading a cassette for several hours or storing a single photo on a 1.4mb floppy disk.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I ended up going for the Switch. The portability and family friendly centered games won it over

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here