Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New Club Statement on OS

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
And you can be on neither side and still be criticised on here.

An example - I think Gus should go. I criticised him post the palace match and feel his position is untenable

I applauded the club for following due process, suspending rather than firing and saying nothing on the matter

I started to have concerns when the leaks and briefings started last week and stated my concerns that what the club was doing was damaging their position (and for those who say its jealousy at not being in the know - I have had more leaks on why Gus is the spawn of the devil than I ever did when managerial changes happened previously. My default position is 'why is someone telling me that?')

I raised concerns about the club release on Monday because I could see where it was going to lead.

That doesn't make me anti club, barber, bloom or anybody. I am anti good hr practice not being followed. And as a hr person and also someone with experience in communications, it is with these lenses I have voiced my concerns. I will say again, there was no sensible reason to make the statement they did on Monday.

Pretty much agree.

However once the club had made the initial statement in Monday, (when they were probably pissed off that Gus could appear on MOTD a few hours earlier but not be at the meeting) the lma waded in.

If the lma have printed incorrect info, then the club had to respond.

I personally wish the club hadn't released the initial statement.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
His or HER sake?!

I trust that whoever Tony Bloom appoints as next manager will know a bit about football; this means it'll be a bloke.

Thats out of order, my wife knows about football....she knows it's where I go with my mates, she knows not to say "never mind it's only a game" and most importantly she knows never to ask to come with me .

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I look forward to when this new manager of ours steps in and is a real Albion-loving man of the people who has no interest in his own career gain or wish for a larger budget in order to compete with those higher up the table. That is pretty much what most managers are like, so it will be a huge relief to locate an alternative to the ghoulish egotist Gus "All About Me" "Moneybags" Poyet. Fingers crossed someone of the likes of Redknapp eh.

LoL! Just to be clear. There ARE managers with more integrity and who are less self-centred than Gus (not difficult!)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
and how much do you guess they would have paid out to the legal team already? I don't think its just about money and saving face

Again, have some faith in your club. I am sure the club have balanced estimated additional legal costs of following due process with just sacking straight away and fingers-crossed. The latter is clearly the wrong option, and likely the most expensive too.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Thats out of order, my wife knows about football....she knows it's where I go with my mates, she knows not to say "never mind it's only a game" and most importantly she knows never to ask to come with me .

yep mine too and Albion have always been at the forefront with this sort of thing have they not
family club and all that
I always try to say his/her because I am not sexist....................or try not to be

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Erm, I think you really need to explain what that means. You didn't take part in any of the protests, then? You were one of the few who insisted on defying the boycott of the Mansfield match? You were happy when Archer and Bellotti were sending us down the road to certain oblivion?

As for the pro-Poyet posters making 'unbelievable comments' and needing to mellow out, the same could be said of some (and I stress, some) anti-Poyet posters on here (eg 'b.w') who clearly despised him anyway before any of this happened and are rubbing their hands with glee that he is on his way out.

For me, the most ridiculous comments are those that are being made without a shred of evidence, before any of the facts are known. No-one knows what actually happened, but everyone's prepared to judge.

I don't have to explain anything but for the sake of clarity, like a lot of people, I went to many games at the Goldstone during the Archer regime. I went to even more when Bamber was in charge. In fact, in over 37 years I have only missed a handful of games. I didn't like Archer and I didn't like Bellotti and I supported the action being taken against them but I'm not going to pretend I was a leading activist. And by club, I probably only really mean the team on the pitch.

All managers and players come and go, they are only part of the clubs history for a brief period. Poyet is one of those. Yes I have enjoyed most of the last three years but I'm not head over heels in love with Poyet as it appears some on here are.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Erm, I think you really need to explain what that means. You didn't take part in any of the protests, then? You were one of the few who insisted on defying the boycott of the Mansfield match? You were happy when Archer and Bellotti were sending us down the road to certain oblivion?

As for the pro-Poyet posters making 'unbelievable comments' and needing to mellow out, the same could be said of some (and I stress, some) anti-Poyet posters on here (eg 'b.w') who clearly despised him anyway before any of this happened and are rubbing their hands with glee that he is on his way out.

For me, the most ridiculous comments are those that are being made without a shred of evidence, before any of the facts are known. No-one knows what actually happened, but everyone's prepared to judge.

To but me in that bracket is just plain unfair. Read my posts again. I have not demonstrated in anyway that I despised Gus before I found out what I found out about his conduct. I still don't despise him. i just support my club, and not a manager who has repeatedly put himself above the club, failed to appreciate the fantastic opportunity his chairman provided him, and moaned about his budget. Please think again.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
To but me in that bracket is just plain unfair. Read my posts again. I have not demonstrated in anyway that I despised Gus before I found out what I found out about his conduct. I still don't despise him. i just support my club, and not a manager who has repeatedly put himself above the club, failed to appreciate the fantastic opportunity his chairman provided him, and moaned about his budget. Please think again.

You won't get anywhere. There are some childish comments from people who can't seem to stand seeing their idol leave and have to strike out at anyone, including the club they purport to support.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You won't get anywhere. There are some childish comments from people who can't seem to stand seeing their idol leave and have to strike out at anyone, including the club they purport to support.

In fairness, they are striking out at the people at the club who come and go, who are only part of the clubs history for a brief period, not the club itself (even when they say "the club", it's the people running it that they are referring to).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Cult of Gus. Seems the charismatic demi-god can do no wrong. Apart from the cost to the club, I hope this all goes to court and the charge list becomes public - and then we can all comment on the actual facts.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In fairness, they are striking out at the people at the club who come and go, who are only part of the clubs history for a brief period, not the club itself (even when they say "the club", it's the people running it that they are referring to).

How many people have been Managing Director or Ceo in the last 5 years? Perry, Brown, Chapman and Barber. They seem just as transient as team managers.

Aug 23, 2011
Again, have some faith in your club. I am sure the club have balanced estimated additional legal costs of following due process with just sacking straight away and fingers-crossed. The latter is clearly the wrong option, and likely the most expensive too.

Yes I do but my point is people are fixating on the money and I think that's a red herring

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

But this is nub, isn't it? What or who is "the club"?

Players come and go, so do managers, owners, even grounds. The one constant is the fanbase. We are the club. But the only say we have on what goes on is to vote with our feet if we don't like any of the transient players, managers, owners etc.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Cult of Gus. Seems the charismatic demi-god can do no wrong. Apart from the cost to the club, I hope this all goes to court and the charge list becomes public - and then we can all comment on the actual facts.

I've got a feeling that the club would be quite happy for it to go to Tribunal. The truth becomes public then. If Gus has breached his contract then I would doubt that he would want all and sundry to know about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here