new caterers hit or miss

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Owen2002

Jun 25, 2012
Sussex
Try to but a pint in the west stand and told by the very friendly young foreign chap.... He had not been trained on how to use the till yet !!!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How much have the pies and beers gone up by then?

There were staff in Dick's Bar who were unaware of what drinks were available, or where to find them, or how to key in certain orders into the till. And I wasn't given a receipt to let me check whether the right price had been charged to my card. And the handy ropey-barriers that help sensible queuing hadn't been put out.

It's obviously early days, though, and training will no doubt improve things.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
My mate got annoyed on someone's behalf. After queueing for 20 minutes they said it was too late for beer. The manager's response was to go and get security. The staff just looked gormless. Disappointing.

What they need is a a better way of getting the (correct) food and drink from the back counter to the customer. Maybe they will improve with practice.

ole ole ole vicente

Aug 6, 2012
At.least my poor spelling is free and so clueless staff is ok. This company win a tender to provide a service. If they don't then pay appropriate compo to fans.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I'm told that the buffet in the 1901 was pretty pants. A shame as they had invited lots of people to try it for free. Feel really sorry for Dodge, Jo and that team. They can't polish a turd.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
At.least my poor spelling is free and so clueless staff is ok. This company win a tender to provide a service. If they don't then pay appropriate compo to fans.

Some friends used our SW 1901 and said even though barely 1/3rd full service was absolutely dire. Staff allegedly not sure what to do and just standing around, totally non proactive and food no better. Pity as given them a very poor impression of the place - as they said had tickets been used to entertain business guests it would have been very embarrassing. Really hope this is a one-off but last season was pretty much the same and this doesn't give much encouragement for year ahead. The club really need to get this sorted as falling down on even the basics of what hospitality should be - Sussex CC get this spot on in their corporate and having entertained there Friday against Australia, it's putting BHA to shame.

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
In the east lower last night no problem. The pie (Balti Chicken) was the best I have had and served in a rigid box again. Harvey's was, well Harvey's bright as always, not real "real ale". The young girl who served me was being trained on the job, and was friendly and polite. So no issues from me.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Must admit I was disappointed in the 1901 last night, although I am putting it down to new caterers and the fact it was a friendly (which shouldn't matter at all). I will reserve proper judgement until after first few league games. Usually there is a stall in our lounge selling crisps, chocolate, sweets, etc, as well as pies and other warm snacks which seem to alternate each home game. That stall has now gone; all we wanted was a couple of packs of crisps to nibble on. I spoke to bar staff and asked to see if they had any crisps behind the bar and I was told that only the Bupa Lounge sells crisps and snacks this season so I would have to go down there. I was told in our lounge that, unless you wanted the Spanish buffet, that it was simply a "choice of a pie or nothing". If that's going to be the case this season then that's appalling. And I know that people say 1901 is full of wealthy snobs and we should suck it up; well I am a one man band and have these seats as a "treat" for me and the old man, who sadly couldn't make last night. A choice of a pie or nothing? Do one.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I couldn't complain.

I asked for a Chicken & Ham pie, and a Coke. I received a Chicken & Ham pie, and a Coke. The service was quick and friendly.

I did, however, have soggy bottom issues.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Strongbow £4 think it was 3.60 originally and 3.80 last yr. Where will The hikes stop? Paid 4.20 for a cheese burger and the burger covered about 2/3rds of the bun. Was nice burger bar that. Soft drinks up 20p again to 2.20. Now do coke not Pepsi. 3.50 for a coke and big snickers bar. Very expensive imo. More disappointment in the club squeezing as much out of people as poss. Also people won't be aware of the new cash back rules. Dunno if it was on official site but an email would be nice for some...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Same prices as last season.

Was strongbow 4 last season? Maybe I got it wrong then. Maybe Harveys was 3.60 originally and I'm getting confused...

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
This is the 3rd season of catering at the Amex. new caterers or not, they know the criteria and standard expected.

The prices have gone up on day 1, how many matches are we expected to wait for the standard to match the price? That hot dog looked awful and very basic. My grandson had one, I had no idea it had cost that much, and was 'out of sorts' this morning. Not even onions or sauce available, apparently.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
People are complaining about the prices in the concourses but we left at the finish and went into Gulls fish and chippie n Mouslcombe/ Bevendean and it was £2.90 for a portion of chips and can of coke. So obviously prices are rising in general.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports