Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] New Beatles single

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Can’t say I like it, I did listen to it five minutes after Craig Charles played Helter Skelter which is 200 times better IMO.
Helter Skelter was, imo, the best Beatles track of the lot. Unlike a lot of others on here, I think the Beatles could do no wrong (although the same could be said for the Stones, Who and Kinks) and am quite nostalgic about hearing Lennon’s voice as crystal clear as that. I am an unashamed dad.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"Dad" music.
When a previously edgy group grow older they seem to lose the ability to make "cool" contemporary music and instead make"Dad" music.

But I've never liked The Beatles.
I liked them in 1963/4. After that . . . .Mmmmmmnnnnn not so much.

The idea that the Beatles thought they'd sound like ELO had they stuck together reminds me of an interview with Bowie in the mid 60s, when he said that in 5 years he saw himself doing cabaret (a career path back then).

Bowie then went forwards, creating his own path while the Beatles went backwards. Lennon was taking the piss by 1969, and Macca was writing nursery rhymes. Even 'give Ireland back to the Irish' is a nursery rhyme.

Look, the Beatles were good at the time, and the magic was palpable. For a while. But things are different now. I prefer now. And I say that as an old bloke.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Warning, sentimental tripe coming up:

It's quite a momentous moment for me, I'm a huge Beatles and Lennon fan so I love it. I felt quite emotional listening to it the first time - I was too young and not really into The Beatles in 95 when Real Love and Free as a Bird came out so this is the first time I've ever listened to 'new' Beatles material. I love hearing it.
Good for you. It is personal pleasure that counts with the arts :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
McCartney has taken a Lennon song and turned it another of his post Beatles dirges with schmaltzy strings imo. I doubt Lennon would want anything to do with it.
I was expecting he'd take a sad song and make it better.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think it was Elton John who, when hearing Freddie Mercury had died, said “wow what a great career move” 😂
When hearing that Elvis had died, John Cale said 'Elvis died when I covered Heartbreak Hotel'.

(The latter is different class. Gothic.)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Being someone who shed a tear when I visited Lennons Strawberry Fields memorial in NY, I've been looking forwards to this for a while. A little disappointed as it sounds a bit like a JL song from the 90's, but then I guess it is. But having heard it a few times now, it is growing on me.
When I visited, a busker was playing McCartney written Beatles songs

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It's a bit slow and a bit dull.

Like the rest of their stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here