Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

new anti smoking ad

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I was in a chemists yesterday and there was a bloke picking up a prescription and getting some anti-smoking stuff. Whilst he was waiting for his prescription he popped to the shop next door to buy some fags and come out with the line "well the medication isn't going to kick in for a while so I might as well have another smoke". Made me chuckle.

chrissyboy01

Sep 24, 2011
5 years without a toke for me. Older smokers know the risk so I can't see how an advertising campaign will help. It's basically a case of use all your willpower or be dangerously unhealthy. Luckily I had enough willpower. I don't miss it at all.

Has with me and I am approaching 40.........fast!

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
i'm giving up at the moment...it's really hard and i'm currently in full on "ewen mcgregor locked in a room in trainspotting" mode....

think the adverts do help, but at the end of the day all smokers surely know the health risks?

Hey matey, I gave up years ago. It wasn't planned I sat down one night, took the last one from a packet and just said that's it. I never looked back, never craved one the following day, I just stopped and I don't know how. Yes that is lucky.

I can only urge you to stick with it and say that you will look back and say why the hell did I ever do it in the first place. You become disgusted at the smell and you will be very proud of yourself.

You also have to get your mind right. You are not giving up you have given up and you are now an x smoker. Well done.

The other thing you can do is stick 5 quid a day in the jars and promise someone you love a bloody good holiday on the cash you have saved.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im wonder how long till we see similar ads for all the other things that create said mutations, like car exhausts, sunlight, BBQd meat and about every product in the DIY store. then fatty foods and alcohol should be in the frame for their health effects.

time the government stop pussing footing around the issue: ban it or leave it alone. but they arent that bold, meanwhile the EU they are subsidising farmers to grow tobacco.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
That advert does make me feel sick but all smokers know the health risks anyway... The same health risks as breathing in the pollution in central london.

I was going to giv up on new year but got two 50 gram pouches of tobacco...

I will give up i generally only have about 5 a day anyway.

Dewe-Road-Gull

Jul 11, 2012
Got bored of my electronic cig after a week - only really smoke rollies when i drink, been ill since new years and haven't smoked for that reason. Thinking i might try and pack it in as a new years resolution whilst im off um

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Its the most powerful anti-smoking ad I've ever seen. It works better than the one they had last year where they had artery-clogging fat oozing out of the cigarette - that one was just as revolting but too 'indirect' somehow. Well done, I guess to the sick mind that came up with it.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Having seen the new NHS anti smoking ad, the one with a tumour growing on a cigarette while being smoked has made me realise that giving up a year ago was a sensible thing to do. Anyone who knows me will know sensible isn't a word associated with me ever.

Anyway has any decided in light of this quite frankly horrid advert took the plunge and are trying to quit the cigarettes. Or does anyone have any views with regard these kind of hard hitting adverts.

Won't watch the ad, will I? Every nicotine addict knows they are doing themselves harm. Every nicotine addict would give up "just like that" if they thought they would never get cravings again. It's the cravings that do me in. When I give up (which I do, often enough) I think about fags all day long. Last time, I even ended up on anti-depressants and made the decision I'd rather be addicted to fags than anti-depressants.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
As I stated on the quitting smoking thread recently, i have just completed 6 months via the cold turkey route.

I believe that the only way that you will succeed is if you really want to pack it in. Warnings have been around for many years and most of us have witnessed family and/or friends that have passed away due to smoking related illness's and yet still continued to smoke. Hard hitting adverts like this one may open eyes a bit more and also make you think about things, but unless your ready to quit then I'm not sure that these ads will make that much difference to most smokers.

My guess that most people that have successfully managed to get off the dreaded weed just knew that the time to quit was right for them. I certainly did. I'm not convinced that anyone telling me to do it would have affected my decision in the slightest. I simply just got fed up with smoking.

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
There has been a big push here in Canada as well...here though they put pictures on the packs..... such as

CanadaNewTobaccoProductPackaging.jpg

Ive 90% cut smoking out of my life. My only downfall is at work, kitchen manager, on a busy night it just does me in.

Tazman

Jul 5, 2003
Seaford Where else!
Myself and Mrs Taz gave up 8 months ago. Had tried many times before and found it really difficult, often only lasting a couple of hours! This time was different....we didn't prepare in the slightest. Both moaned about the cost one afternoon and we gave up that evening. Still had elec cigs from a previous attempt and there's no denying they have helped but on the whole it wasn't the gut wrenching experience of the previous times! Most odd really! Still want one but the determination and my own pride is stronger. I'm not gonna lie and say its changed my life and I feel fantastic, coz I don't! Mrs Taz got every cough and cold going for the first few months.
Benefits.....
Breathe better........a little bit yes
Taste food .........again a little bit better
Sense of smell.........yes def improved!
Long term health benefits.........only time will tell (20 a day for 24 yrs)

Still can't believe I don't smoke, even after 8 months its weird saying it!

No amount of images of smoking related health issues would've made me give up. I have seen them all over the years and not one has made me think that could be happening to me. I suspect most smokers are the same. However, might be good deterrent for the next generation of potential smokers.

If you are trying to give up...good luck, there are benefits but not as much as you are told short-term.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here