Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Never cut the lawn in May - sage words or a load of old bolleaux?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Left home early on Saturday heading north with the garden looking like David Bellamy might part the undergwowth and stick his head through.

Returned last evening from Leeds and it looks like finals day at The Crucible.

Well played Mrs PotG.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
An entire month of not mowing will be good for other plant species and fauna, but you’ll never get it back to an ornamental/utility lawn. As well as Dandelions, Poa annua, coarse grasses, Speedwell and Bird’s-foot trefoil will spread by self seeding and rhizomes.

It’s a one-off choice.

I've tried to go really nice sharp lawn with some wildish stuff around the edges, I wish someone had told me about the absolute carnage at the borders :rolleyes:

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
I bought a robotic lawnmower :)

I shouldn’t have but it was a fair price, it snips the tops of the grass and feeds the lawn. My grass has never looked greener or more weed free since we moved here! No more green bin, no more petrol for the old fashioned thing in the shed! Honestly they are worth the hype !

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've tried to go really nice sharp lawn with some wildish stuff around the edges, I wish someone had told me about the absolute carnage at the borders :rolleyes:

That’s what I’ve done too. But the borders including a meadow strip were all planned and managed.

But, the price paid … the meadow plants relentlessly seed the ornamental lawn, an issue of my own doing.

I could do the eco thing and turn it all into a meadow, but I’m resisting.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Is this advisable? I'm sure there are a couple of learned friends on here who might be able to shed some light. My lawn looks like it needs a cut but I've followed NSC advice to not 'shave it' and it has become luxuriant. Should I take the plunge and let it grow bushy in May? ???

You think you have problems?
I have washed the car and our backyard 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Each time we have a slight shower of sandy rain from the Sahara.��

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Left home early on Saturday heading north with the garden looking like David Bellamy might part the undergwowth and stick his head through.

Returned last evening from Leeds and it looks like finals day at The Crucible.

Well played Mrs PotG.

Indeed.

Nothing says "I've succeeded at life" like the Memsahib doing the lawn to Tennis Club standards while you're off having fun with the chaps.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Indeed.

Nothing says "I've succeeded at life" like the Memsahib doing the lawn to Tennis Club standards while you're off having fun with the chaps.

I may be wrong, but you may have a stalker :eek:

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I asked my Gardener mate whether No Mow May was worth it and she said it was a load of old tosh. She said your lawn adapts to how often you cut it and the flowers will flourish likewise. So mowed mine on Saturday.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I asked my Gardener mate whether No Mow May was worth it and she said it was a load of old tosh. She said your lawn adapts to how often you cut it and the flowers will flourish likewise. So mowed mine on Saturday.

Just as a passing comment, I don't do weeds and that...Flowers? :eek:

grass.JPG

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Paging [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] the font of all knowledge in these matters!

Not mowing in May, but to continue mowing thereafter is helping biodiversity just a bit. It all depends on what you want your lawn to do. If, for whatever reason, it needs to stay neat and tidy, just continue mowing throughout May and beyond.
If you're fortunate enough to have a large lawn, consider regular mowing where it's necessary and put the the rest over to "Meadow management".
Consider what you need your lawn for. Does it have to be shaved off every week?

There are many mowing regimes to assist biodiversity by encouraging wild flowers to produce flowers for pollenating insects, such as;
Mow regularly, but stop on 20th June, then cut and clear at the end of August.
Don't mow at all and cut and clear once a year at the end of August.
Don't mow, then cut and clear sections, once, from late June to the end of August.

You can't have a high quality amenity lawn and have the same area as a wild-life meadow. It's a matter of either having one or the other, or having an area divided in to the two types, or having margins meadow-managed.

In summary, the less you mow, the better for biodiversity as this gives the wild flowers a chance to show, so "No-mow May"?, every little helps.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Leaving half uncut plus stopping using any of that weed and feed BS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here