Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Never a red + we had boro bricking it

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
It's not. A straight red can be a one, two or three match ban, depending on the offence. It's violent conduct/serious foul play that is a three game ban, not the red card itself.

Two yellow card worthy offences in one match (which be a reckless challenge, taking your shirt off celebrating a goal, time wasting) = one match ban,
A single incident of serious foul play/violent conduct = three match ban

It doesn't seem so disproportionate, does it?

Correct me if wrong but I would think most straight reds are for violent conduct/serious foul play and most yellows are for unsporting behaviour. In practice (supported in this case by fact that Dean initially brandished a yellow) it is a fine margin between what is judged to be unsporting behaviour and therefore yellow with no ban (unless 2nd offence) and serious foul play/violent conduct, which is three. That is the reason I think the punishment is disproportionate.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Of course it was a poor decision by both player to put himself in that position and the ref for making the wrong decision in deeming it a red. What bothered me though was only 1 shot on target in the game. Granted it was never going to be easy and goals were likely to be at a premium, but for a game we had to win the number of goal attempts was hugely disappointing.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Agreed ref was decent

image.jpg

Have I drunk so much that I have missed something here? WTF ?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It is a bit strange that an injury so painful that it requires oxygen and a stretcher can clear up so quickly.

He was sitting up after the Stephens challenge, looking as nonchalant as anything, then he rolls down his sock and suddenly it's strap him onto a stretcher and bring out the oxygen or he isn't going to make it out alive. All very strange.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Have you ever played football? Anyone who thinks a player going for the ball in mid air like that can do so in anyway other than Stephens did is mental

Never even a foul let alone a red

Yes, I have and I agree Stephens was unlucky - judged on the result rather than the 'offence'; to a degree though the answer is in your reply -'going for the ball in mid air like that'. Ask yourself this: if that had been Barton on Kayal, can you honestly say that ref should have played on?

I am not supporting the ref, I think he got it wrong certainly to brandish red in the circumstances (and if he had brandished a yellow we wouldn't even be discussing whether it was was a foul because it would not have been relevant). I just regret that Stephens' challenge made a decision necessary.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
When Dean spoke to both players a bit earlier it was only to Ramirez as Dean was warning him about diving all the time as you see him point to three different places on the pitch where he had done this

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
AND the dickhead was breaking up our momentum the entire game after that by giving a free kick every ****ing time a Boro player fell over in their half, he had a proper chip on his shoulder for us after we contested the red card.

The injury did look bad though, and the spineless worm was probably scared that he'd get murdered by Boro fans if he'd only given a yellow. I seriously don't think Stephens should be kept off for that though, Boro fans wouldn't agree obviously

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Correct me if wrong but I would think most straight reds are for violent conduct/serious foul play and most yellows are for unsporting behaviour. In practice (supported in this case by fact that Dean initially brandished a yellow) it is a fine margin between what is judged to be unsporting behaviour and therefore yellow with no ban (unless 2nd offence) and serious foul play/violent conduct, which is three. That is the reason I think the punishment is disproportionate.

Actually, I think most straight red cards are for 'denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity' (usually via a 'not serious foul play' foul - like most red cards related to penalties or free kicks around the area) which is a one match ban.

Burnleylad

May 2, 2014
As a neutral, no way was it a sending off, probably cost you the game. Won the ball fair and square, no malicious intent whatsoever.

Absolutely disgusted with Ramirez kocking the card out of the refs hand, should have been sent off himself. Admittedly it was a bad injury but down to bladed studs and no shin pads, sending someone off just because a player is badly injured shows poor judgement and a pathetically weak referee.

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside
As a neutral, no way was it a sending off, probably cost you the game. Won the ball fair and square, no malicious intent whatsoever.

Absolutely disgusted with Ramirez kocking the card out of the refs hand, should have been sent off himself. Admittedly it was a bad injury but down to bladed studs and no shin pads, sending someone off just because a player is badly injured shows poor judgement and a pathetically weak referee.

Thank u

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Thanks. Thats where i had got to as well

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Cheers, but now go and get yourself a life. It's Saturday and your team has won the league. You can't spend all evening posting on another teams forum (in between *****); we're not your real friends.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Exactly what I feel although clearly it's more personal to us. Thanks for your post.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
@'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here