Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Netbook advice needed

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Any pros and cons from experience of netbooks? Looking to spend around 250 so recommendations would be good too. Cheers

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Save a bit more and get an iPad!

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I have used an HP for the last 18 months and love it to bits. Do all of my surfing on it, run itunes, email, simple WP and spreadsheet plus Sky Go etc. I still have a desktop for the heavy duty stuff but use the netbook more than anything else. I upgraded the RAM to 2gb for a few quid which helps although its not a speed machine. About to buy one for my wife. My boys both use ipads and they are very good, particularly for the web but personally I prefer a proper keyboard. Battery life is exceptional. The HP keyboard was what swung it for me - felt a bit more quality than some others and also is near full size which helped the transition although I still occasionally hit the wrong kets :wink:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We have a Dell, useful when on holiday but that's about it really.

thealbionfan

Oct 6, 2003

This. I have had two net books in the last 12 months and have managed to break the screens of both - and I am normally very careful with my kit. Not sure whether this means that the net books are more fragile or I am getting clumsier in my old age. Anyhow recently have gone for an iPad and it does everything on the tin and more.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If your just going to surf then get a tablet

And if you need a keyboard, just buy a tablet keyboard. Lots of different ones from ones that form one side of a case to a full size detachable one.

Last edited:

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Cheers for comments so far. iPad is probably out of reach budget wise. I basically want it for day to day surfing, updating spreadsheets, basic word processing and C++ programming in my own time. May also want to install a game or 2 on there (just something like Football Manager, nothing which requires major graphics).

Slightly concerned about the screen size but impressed by the HP Mini 210 from research I have done.

D

Deleted member 22389

Cheers for comments so far. iPad is probably out of reach budget wise. I basically want it for day to day surfing, updating spreadsheets, basic word processing and C++ programming in my own time. May also want to install a game or 2 on there (just something like Football Manager, nothing which requires major graphics).

Slightly concerned about the screen size but impressed by the HP Mini 210 from research I have done.

Trust me screen size will be an issue. These netbooks are only really good for internet use. Once you start doing spreadsheets, word processing and C++ and want to flip between applications, the screen size will start to drive you mad. You might as well get yourself a 17" laptop.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Trust me screen size will be an issue. These netbooks are only really good for internet use. Once you start doing spreadsheets, word processing and C++ and want to flip between applications, the screen size will start to drive you mad. You might as well get yourself a 17" laptop.

Cheers. My problem is that I could not get a decent laptop for around the £250 mark, whereas I can get a very good netbook for that sort of price. I think my best bet is to try one out in-store and see the screen size for myself. Your comment above is my main concern.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Had a Samsung for 2 years now, I upgraded the ram to 2 gb and it is still fine and dandy. If you want advice, go for a known brand, buy one that has been released as recently as you can afford. Oh,and it's not a bad idea to buy a computer mag and check their recommendations, they test them all side by side so can be more thorough in review and comparison, £3-4 for a magazine may well save you a lt more.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

You might struggle with anything less than a laptop for C++, depending on what exactly you're doing. I've been writing C++ for 14 years professionally, Visual Studio takes a lot of memory and screen space. I have a decent laptop, but for work I use it to remote into my office PC as it has loads of mem and multi CPUs (essential for good, multi-threaded programming).

I'm just adding C# as a skill (not relevent to your question, but I'm pleased I can add hat to my CV if I want).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

thats a bit like some asking for advise on a family saloon and saying, dont bother get an Elise instead.

from my research, the Samsung NC210 (or whatever the model is now) is the daddy, followed by the Asus Eee. everything is much of a muchness after that, select on price/looks.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Looks good. Cheers for the recommendation, will definitely be checking that one out.

Just to add to what Tricky Dicky has said, I too am a C++ programmer but wouldn't want to use this machine for work.
If you are just using an editor like emacs or notepad++ and compiling from the CL might be ok.
If I was buying something for work I'd be looking to spend 4 or 5 times as much and get a decent desktop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here