Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Net migration to UK hits record 336,000, statistics show

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Didn't the government offer Apprenticeships at Costa Coffee, that just tells how desperate and how devalued Apprenticeships have become over the years. A proper Apprenticeships is what you used to get at companies like Parker Pen, 5 years to train as a Mechanical Engineer, Toolmaker. They got day release to college every week, and all the training they could dream off, good money and a most importantly a trade at the end of it.
Actually probably like you I was on poor money/rate when I was an apprentice, many of my mates went into jobs on far better pay but after I came out of my time (not a 3 month Mickey Mouse course) then I caught up with those that had no apprenticeship.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Didn't the government offer Apprenticeships at Costa Coffee, that just tells how desperate and how devalued Apprenticeships have become over the years. A proper Apprenticeships is what you used to get at companies like Parker Pen, 5 years to train as a Mechanical Engineer, Toolmaker. They got day release to college every week, and all the training they could dream off, good money and a most importantly a trade at the end of it.

Then Parker Pen closed down.

D

Deleted member 22389

Actually probably like you I was on poor money/rate when I was an apprentice, many of my mates went into jobs on far better pay but after I came out of my time (not a 3 month Mickey Mouse course) then I caught up with those that had no apprenticeship.

I was on very poor money, but the rates of pay now for trades like CNC Machinists, Setters is very good. I could go anywhere with my qualifications and be considered for a job. That's the difference. What have our young people got?
Too many people, too few practical jobs like we had.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I was on very poor money, but the rates of pay now for trades like CNC Machinists, Setters is very good. I could go anywhere with my qualifications and be considered for a job. That's the difference.
Us sparks are still poor, unlike those rich plumbers :)

D

Deleted member 22389

Us sparks are still poor, unlike those rich plumbers :)

Point is I remember trades like Engineering, Electricians, Plumbers, Bricklayers they where all looked down on, they where all considered as dirty jobs, seems like lots of them have had the last laugh.

Jan 30, 2008
It's surely got to be a viable option for those who haven't done that well in academia? Those looking for unskilled work then also looking to get the knowledge of management, stock control etc. Agreed its not exactly a 100carat opportunity for someone but if it gets them employed I fail to see the issue.

you don't know me or what i've had to do in my life, so you can wind your neck in.
that's choice coming from you :laugh:
regards
DR

D

Deleted member 22389

So much for our security the EU opens up talks again in regard of Turkey joining the EU
http://europe.newsweek.com/eu-open-new-chapter-membership-talks-turkey-398636

Border controls are also racist, that's what Labour MEPs think anyway
http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/622567/Eu-Labour-let-jihadists-back-to-UK-racist-not-to

The people running this show are insane, and the sooner we vote to leave the EU the better. Give us back the most important thing a country needs for it's security and stability, control of our borders.

Last edited by a moderator:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
So much for our security the EU opens up talks again in regard of Turkey joining the EU
http://europe.newsweek.com/eu-open-new-chapter-membership-talks-turkey-398636

Border controls are also racist, that's what Labour MEPs think anyway
http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/622567/Eu-Labour-let-jihadists-back-to-UK-racist-not-to

The people running this show are insane, and the sooner we vote to leave the EU the better. Give us back the most important thing a country needs for it's security and stability, control of our borders.
You do wonder what goes through the idiotic minds of politicians regarding turkey....would be a disaster for all of Europe and would seriously put Europe under a huge threat from extremists.
Agree the sooner we get away from all this the better as merkel is seriously doing my nut in as it's clear she runs Europe.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
So your point is to continue with the contemporary narrative of Britain as an ancient multi cultural country with unfettered immigration and everyone all just rubbing along?

Sorry I don't buy it because it's not true...........ignoring what happened 25,000 years ago Britain has long been a mono cultural country with emigration a far greater factor than immigration.

The wider Anglo Saxon world would not exist without British emigration...........a contribution which has much more significance, than focusing on a few thousand refugees here and there during the course of the last 500 years.[/QUOTE]

You are wrong. Refugees arriving in this country over the last 500 years total hundreds of thousands not just a few. You also ignore the fact that the indigenous population was far smaller hence the impact of the new arrivals far greater.

I agree that Britain gradually became more unified in the 17th Century after the dust had settled from the Protestant reformation and Scottish wars of independence. However, to suggest that we have a history of mono culturalism that embraced the centuries of social division, squalor and deprivation imposed by feudal law and its lasting malign and pernicious influence is to view our past through a particularly rosy royalist prism.

I agree that the wider Anglo Saxon world (and the British Empire) would not exist without British emigration, fuelled by aggressive, expansionist policies and wars. What is certain is that the emigration associated with all that aggression would have included recycled British citizens who were originally refugees to our shores. The wider Anglo Saxon world; is that a good thing?

I'm not suggesting that unfettered immigration is a good thing. What I am saying though is that things never stay the same; there is no long golden period when we were British and proud and all our citizens were happy and everything was fine and we were mono cultural; we have been and always will be in flux. I understand that hysterical headlines will always garner avid readers but come on, let's stop viewing the world in black and white.

Your commitment to historical revisionism is seeping through here though isn't it, this is the first time I have heard of "recycled British citizens" how have you arrived at this definition?

Be honest, you want to amplify the comparatively small flux in the historical UK population because it suits your view on modern British society, in the last 15 years where millions of recent migrants from all over the world have arrived here in your view this is another episode of Hugenouts or Jews. This aspect is tiny when compared to UK emigration, ask the Americans last week they had a national holiday because of it!

The facts are, compared to our European peers this country has in the last 1000 years been a white, Christian monarchy, and in the last 500 a developing parliamentary system. The individual nation's that make up the UK have been the same over that period and their political, social and cultural dynamics have been comparatively stable. I am not saying it's been rosy, it's not, we had a religious civil war, but then that was the same everywhere else.......ours was definitely not as bad.

Relatively limited immigration during that period is not the same as now, no matter how hard you try to twist the numbers or equalise the circumstances.

The last census confirmed that White British is a minority in some cities and others are close to a tipping point..........this is new, and dealing with the consequences will not be found in our long national history.

When you are queuing up to get into the Amex today to be searched for bombs or guns have a think why that is happening and see if you can link it to a historical precedent?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here