Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Need Some Tech Help Please!

seggers

Nov 10, 2009
Worthing
I have this problem on my laptop where my display keeps buggering up, for example when I'm on a game sometimes my screen will go blank and then come back and other times it completely freezes the laptop so i have to turn it off. I think its to do with display driver as an error message pops up to suggest this is the case.

Anyone know how to fix it?

AlbionFan

Aug 14, 2003
Sompting
Try going to the website of the card maker and downloading the driver. If you don't know the maker then go to the device manager to find it.

seggers

Nov 10, 2009
Worthing
Try going to the website of the card maker and downloading the driver. If you don't know the maker then go to the device manager to find it.

just looked into what you said and found the driver and used the option to update using internet but it said it was up to date :/

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
As an aside, can someone in a few words explain how Apple Computers cannot get viruses when PCs can & why don't they copy what Apple do?

DanielT

As an aside, can someone in a few words explain how Apple Computers cannot get viruses when PCs can & why don't they copy what Apple do?

Apple's can get viruses. People don't generally write them though as Apple are a smaller percentage share of the market (Windows is low hanging fruit)

Also a user would have to grant root permission to the virus or it wouldn't get further than user level permission files

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Apple's can get viruses. People don't generally write them though as Apple are a smaller percentage share of the market (Windows is low hanging fruit)

Also a user would have to grant root permission to the virus or it wouldn't get further than user level permission files

Furthermore, Windows users tend to be less tech-savvy and therefore more likely to let a virus onto thier machne

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I have this problem on my laptop where my display keeps buggering up, for example when I'm on a game sometimes my screen will go blank and then come back and other times it completely freezes the laptop so i have to turn it off. I think its to do with display driver as an error message pops up to suggest this is the case.

Anyone know how to fix it?
Is it an ATI card/chip? My ATI card reset s itself after a failure, might be best (if it is an ATI chip) to completely remove the display driver and reinstall.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Cheers for response

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
:clap: Never noticed Apple Users are more tech-savvy. What a sweeping & inaccurate generalisation.

I didn't mean to start a Windows v Apple battle (I'm predominantly a Linux user anyway), just that when someone goes into PC world and says "I know nothing about computers, I want to go online and play games" they are going to be shown a Windows box for £400 and a Mac for £800. They are far more likely to buy the Windows box. That's why the virus writers target windows machines.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have just installed Google Chrome but it doesnt have a toolbar showing File edit tools etc so how do I either install one or copy and paste without one. Many thanks for any sensible suggestions.

djlazyness

Oct 21, 2011
Peacehaven
Your actually graphics cards made of had it. It happened recently on my desktop, black screen etc, also laptops get hot very easily and things can burn out. If you can easily take the graphics card out and have a look at it than try it otherwise try taking it to a laptop repair shop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here