Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Need advice on affordable old cars

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Cheers for the help guys, I am looking at a £4000/5000 budget limit, I have only heard mixed views on the capris and only good things about the classic minis (unless theres things people aren't telling)

And also the max engine size I am looking for is a 1.4/1.6

Are you wanting something as a daily or a bit of a show/scene car?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Cheers for the help guys, I am looking at a £4000/5000 budget limit, I have only heard mixed views on the capris and only good things about the classic minis (unless theres things people aren't telling)

And also the max engine size I am looking for is a 1.4/1.6

I think people are gilding the lily somewhat. Ask any owner of an early mini and you will here stories of MOT failures through rotten rear subframes and body mounts, so be very careful if you buy one.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Daily, would be used for the normal stuff, probably best if I avoided the capri since it will be hard to park

If you are going to use a classic car daily you are likely to come to hate it, especially if your budget won't stretch to a fully sorted one. Things go wrong with old cars, if it's a weekend or occasional use car that's fine as you can fix it when you get around to it. Not starting when you want to go home or breaking down will drive you nuts.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Porsche 944 _ sensible classic
Alfa Romeo 916 GTV or Spider - more risky but fantastic value for money at the moment

I second Icy Gull's nomination for the Porsche 944. I've got one myself and it is a fantastic car. They're pretty cheap to buy and maintain and generally they're bulletproof enough to use as a daily drive, should you so wish.
c4e46136bf10b521b195f51cb8e31cf2.jpg

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
I second Icy Gull's nomination for the Porsche 944. I've got one myself and it is a fantastic car. They're pretty cheap to buy and maintain and generally they're bulletproof enough to use as a daily drive, should you so wish.
c4e46136bf10b521b195f51cb8e31cf2.jpg

Yep really considered one myself before I bought my current classic, although I was after the 924s, galvanised body panels, cheap to buy, reliable and a lot more practical than a classic Mini, should prove to be a winner!
Only negative is the dashboards crack from the sun. good luck.

kjgood

Blimey they are quite rare now.Mitsubishi colt starion turbos were the dogs when i first got seriously into cars..

zxtwinturbo is absolutly correct on this one, I purchased a wide body version one brand new tax free in Germany many moons ago, what a fantasic car, they look a little dated now and probably will not seem fast compared to todays performance cars but in its day!!!!

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
Saab 900 Turbo. A nicely sorted one will set you back around £5k. If you get a Full Pressure Turbo you're looking at a hugely comfortable and practical classic that will easily outpace a Scimitar or Capri.

Not wrong I have a saab 9000 carlsson turbo, had it many years goes like stink !!:D

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
Or one of the most underated jap fast car ever.dont laugh...Datsun cherry turbo...0-60 in about 8 seconds which in the 80s was mega...i think there are only 3 left in uk

Tested one years back, Nissan cherry Europe rapid car that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here