Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay...SIGNED FOR EVERTON.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
CMS was always an inferior player to Murray, worst ever striker in striker out deal since I started following the Albion. Maupay was never good enough to be a guaranteed starter when we had other options like a fit Welbeck. I bloody loved him though.

We did the right thing letting Neal leave, whatever was said in here at the time, he was having hissy fits and running down the tunnel after games, Warren called it right

As an aside has Murray ever said what he thought of Poyet as a manager? Be interested to know his thoughts.

Worse than Tiltman for Saunders?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Worse than Tiltman for Saunders?

Yep we got good money for Saunders and we didn’t pay Tiltman more money than we paid Saunders I’m sure

We spent 2 million on CMS, paid him more than Murray and let him go for nothing

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yes, me too.

Everton fans on their message board still seem to quite like him, and think he's made the team play better though.

I don't think they had the ball players or style we have using Tross or Gross he better being more direct .

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Good luck to him and a good goal today. Did he have a little pop at Potter in his quote about Everton being a step up?

Reckoning that Everton is a step up asa club, surely.

I don’t think it could be construed as a dig at Potter.

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
He is a bit full of himself though and not starting is something he cannot tolerate and the fact that we were doing better without him should have been obvious to him that he needed to rein in his enthusiasm and bide his time but because he is who he is a move was probably in his best interests. Personally I think Potter should have been able to handle him better but that's history.

My nephew met him totally unexpected in a sports shop in Churchill Square last February half-term. Maupay was an absolute gentleman who posed for a selfie and chatted to him for about ten minutes. He never scored a goal for Brighton after that. We all said he'd jinxed him and that penalty that went high over the bar - "What have you done to him!?" I asked soon after. I'm now praying my nephew never meets Tross. :eek:

Really pleased that Maupay has opened his account for Everton. The first of many I'm sure of that.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
D6331892-FA69-4DC6-9B48-0FF78A002933.jpeg

This quote from Odds Bible (who?) was edited AND taken out of context.

Maupay said Potter was great, but took a while to get us ninth - time he won’t get at Chelsea.

REASONABLE.

Separate “Step up” comment was about size of club.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Reckoning that Everton is a step up asa club, surely.

I don’t think it could be construed as a dig at Potter.
We're better than Everton at the moment. Finished higher in the league last season too. Not sure if we've ever done that before - possibly once between 1980 and 1982? But, apart from Arsenal, Everton are the only team I can never remember being out of the first division/PL.

39K ground capacity (and a bloody sight more before the Taylor report), loads of league championships and FA Cup wins. Bigger club than us? Sorry, yes - just not as good as us at the moment. Perfectly happy to sell them our top goal scorer who'd probably be mostly on the bench here if it helps them a bit.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We're better than Everon at the moment. Finished higher in the league last season too. Not sure if we've ever done that before - possibly once between 1980 and 1982? But, apart from Arsenal, Everton are the only team I can never remember being out of the first division/PL.

39K ground capacity (and a bloody sight more before the Taylor report), loads of league championships and FA Cup wins. Bigger club than us? Sorry, yes - just not as good as us at the moment. Perfectly happy to sell them our top goal scorer who'd probably be mostly on the bench here if it helps them a bit.

Precisely - bigger club in terms of history and tradition - not on current position and performance.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can you imagine if he’d said “This is a step down but I am getting more game time” :wink:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
He is a bit full of himself though and not starting is something he cannot tolerate and the fact that we were doing better without him should have been obvious to him that he needed to rein in his enthusiasm and bide his time but because he is who he is a move was probably in his best interests. Personally I think Potter should have been able to handle him better but that's history.

Potter was consistent with the way he handled the strikers. Gave them instructions and when things didn't work he chose other players and moved the strikers further from the pitch. Andone, Connolly, Maupay all caused headaches

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
How is moving from 4th to (then) 4th bottom a step up? I think Maupay needs lessons on directional matters.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How is moving from 4th to (then) 4th bottom a step up? I think Maupay needs lessons on directional matters.

Let’s see if we are still 4th after our next 4 games eh ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Our next 4 games are Liverpool (a), Spurs (H), Brentford (a), Forest (H) …

How many from that lot do you reckon?

I’m pretty sure we won’t still be 4th

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Here’s the interview in full - the way it’s been framed on Twitter has done NP no favours. It’s respectful to GP , and isn’t insulting to Albion to acknowledge as he does, that a club like Everton is a step up in terms of history and tradition.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/neal-maupay-everton-brighton-lampard-28015004

And a step down in terms of squad, academy, training facilities, women’s football, stadium facilities, weather and potential.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
And a step down in terms of squad, academy, training facilities, women’s football, stadium facilities, weather and potential.

Sure. It’s a fun debate to make comparisons and Albion would win on a few but I don’t think Neal said much wrong or to disagree with in that interview (if you see it in full and in context)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here