[Albion] Neal Maupay...SIGNED FOR EVERTON.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Potter cited Welbeck's lack of ego and positive attitude in playing a role from the bench in his post game interview. Sounded a lot like a dig at Neal.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I think Warren went OTT on the wireless yesterday, embarrassingly so. I think it was totally out of order for Warren to have such an hysterical fit about Neal, he was meant to be describing our victory and the joyous fans in the stadium, instead he had some sort of pathetic meltdown.

So why did Warren lose the plot?

Neal was sulking again because he’d not played a part in the win.

Does Neal care about not getting picked?

Yes - probably more than any other player. Whilst he had a typical French reaction, he does love our club and wants to play every minute. The other players weren’t bothered that he headed straight down the tunnel, they have probably seen this before and must have had a laugh about it with him afterwards when Neal’s strop had ceased.

We mashed Spuds by playing a false 9 and then popping Welbeck on when the tatties were tired. This made a difference. Neal might well get his chance against Citeh in the same role and I hope he does because he cares about the team more than most, he just has a funny way of showing it!
Agree with all of this.

I also fully expect Maupay to play against City. GP will definitely change this around (Biss suspension, and two games in a week).

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I feel sorry for him because he carry’s the blame even though I’m sorry to say he is not good enough .
A squad player yes , our main striker no . Not his fault but the club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Neal Maupay...What Does He Actually Do?

Provide an outlet of a moan? :shrug:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Just to clarify, I think NM could easily have another season or two with us in a supporting role.

Mellow/Ward, Bergkamp/Henry, Son/Kane even.

But I don’t believe he will want to.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's singlefootedly put us 10th in the league above Southampton and palace.

Were it not for Maupay we'd be 12th now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Singlefootedly missed pen against Norwich, loads of chances against Leeds. Would be well ahead of Leicester with 4 more points and looking very good for top half finish.

Penalty aside if only he'd scored every single chance that came his way we'd be top of the league and he'd win The Balloon Door.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Penalty aside if only he'd scored every single chance that came his way we'd be top of the league and he'd win The Balloon Door.

No one expecting him to score EVERY chance that comes his way, just a few of the easy ones would be nice. One ‘worldie’ does not equal 3 run of the mill misses.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No one expecting him to score EVERY chance that comes his way, just a few of the easy ones would be nice. One ‘worldie’ does not equal 3 run of the mill misses.

My take on Maupay is unlikely to ever change.

He's just not THAT striker.
Were he playing with an Alpha Dog who can tuck those chances away with unerring accuracy I think NM becomes a hundred times better.

He'd score considerably more 'easy' chances if he's not burdened down by 'if I miss this one chance we won't win'.
He'd still score instinctive goals.

And of course the main thing, he'd still be an absolute shitehouse.

I just don't understand demanding he does something he has never really done all the while ignoring his decent accomplishments for this team, this season.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

They’re not even run of the mill. Sometimes it’s literally easier to score but somehow…Anyway, I’m team Neal. Like the guy, hope he stays but we do need better

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

If he missed them all, we would be in bottom 6. If he scored 20+ in last two seasons he wouldn’t be here now. Not sure what your point is.

Fundamentally, it comes down to how well he performs against expectations. The measure of this is Xg, and Maupay is -8 on this in his 2.8 seasons, though, to be fair, level this season. -8 in a side that has consistently struggled with goals is significant; would probably have been sufficient in last two seasons to avoid bottom 6.

My ‘moaning’ is not that at all; it is an objective assessment of a player who has just not quite lived up to expectations. It is frustrating because this is a team that with a few more goals would very likely be pushing for Europe and almost certain to realise TB’s aim of top 10 finish. It is not all about NM of course - midfield has underperformed in this respect as Swansman has argued - but he bears some of the responsibility.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Singlefootedly missed pen against Norwich, loads of chances against Leeds. Would be well ahead of Leicester with 4 more points and looking very good for top half finish.

Don’t forget Gross penalty miss against Palace. And Sanchez mistakes cost us a few points surely ?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Were he playing with an Alpha Dog who can tuck those chances away with unerring accuracy I think NM becomes a hundred times better.

He'd score considerably more 'easy' chances if he's not burdened down by 'if I miss this one chance we won't win'.

I just don't understand demanding he does something he has never really done all the while ignoring his decent accomplishments for this team, this season.

Please, read my posts before getting pointy. That is exactly what I have been saying for yonks. He needs to play off someone else as he is not a man to lead the line. But in the same breath I will not defend him when he costs us points.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Please, read my posts before getting pointy. That is exactly what I have been saying for yonks. He needs to play off someone else as he is not a man to lead the line. But in the same breath I will not defend him when he costs us points.

But won't caveat the points he's cost with the points he's saved, and money he's made.

If the season ended today NM has directly earned Mr Bloom £4m+
No if's, but's maybe's, coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Sure that could have been a lot more, but that could be said of esp Trossard, Mac Alister, but also March Bissouma.
Not to mention Sanchez and The Lana.

In fact the list of 'what might have been' appears to be quite extensive, in this team sport.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
What is the “nod I’m heads” policy ? Is it an actual thing ? Or a NSC made up thing ? Genuine question.

It’s an actual thing but doubt the club calls it a No Dickheads policy. For the life of me I can’t recall who revealed it in an interview but they said the club wouldn’t sign a player who’d be disruptive in the dressing room even if they were a great player. It became known as the No Dickheads policy. Hopefully someone will recall the actual details of who and what they said.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It’s about options isn’t it at our level. Very few strikers get you 15+ in a PL season, and many of them their form comes and goes. Crucially it’s about the other options you have. If others had taken their gilt edge chances, we’re not talking about Maupay so much, and Maupay is feeling less pressure.

Even yesterday, it could have been same old Brighton on 75mins when we give the ball away overplaying it and they flash a ball across the box that is a stud length from being 1 down. As it is, our typical narrative is turned upside down when the opposition conspire to deflect a ball into our path.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I loved the wins over mega spending Arsenal and Spuds, and I also love March and Maupay being integral in Potter's first team squad.

Vital goals from Maupay and forever hardworking to unsettle defences (we were shite at that before he arrived), he's more than justified his fee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports