Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay...SIGNED FOR EVERTON.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I had a lot of time for NM, but let's be honest, we all knew he was a dreadful signing for Everton. Such a desperate signing for them and highlights how badly run a club they are compared to us, especially in the scouting department
I would argue that Maupay was an average signing for Everton, he is about there level l wopuld say.

Remember Everton are nothing like the Everton of old, and will be fighting another relegation battle this season. Maybe this time they won't survive it.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yep missed a lot of chances but still scored 26 goals in 3 seasons and some of those were brilliant totally of his own making not just tap ins. I think he needs to be given more respect than some people are giving him. Yes he doing badly at Everton , but I don't think that's an indication of 'I told you he was crap ' more he is at the wrong club and lost his way.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Didn’t see this coming.

What, yea

He’ll be lucky if the next Everton manager picks him. They’re not staying up if Frank keeps his job.
Feels like similar things could be said for a number of teams though. Very tight in the bottom.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I had a lot of time for NM, but let's be honest, we all knew he was a dreadful signing for Everton. Such a desperate signing for them and highlights how badly run a club they are compared to us, especially in the scouting department
Yep.

This is becoming another classic object lesson in the difference between being a "big club" and a "good club".

No doubt with their never being relegated, their ability to still attract half of Liverpool as fans and their trophies (at least from 1995 and before) they are a bigger club than Brighton, but they are no longer a better club.

Leeds learned it, Sheffield Wednesday are still learning it and it's about time Everton started to learn it too.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yep.

This is becoming another classic object lesson in the difference between being a "big club" and a "good club".

No doubt with their never being relegated, their ability to still attract half of Liverpool as fans and their trophies (at least from 1995 and before) they are a bigger club than Brighton, but they are no longer a better club.

Leeds learned it, Sheffield Wednesday are still learning it and it's about time Everton started to learn it too.
I like the distinction you make - size is historical whilst quality is about the present.....

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Yep.

Let them implode via relegation first
Before you start anything
You know the drill 😉

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep missed a lot of chances but still scored 26 goals in 3 seasons and some of those were brilliant totally of his own making not just tap ins. I think he needs to be given more respect than some people are giving him. Yes he doing badly at Everton , but I don't think that's an indication of 'I told you he was crap ' more he is at the wrong club and lost his way.
Singlefootedly kept us above palace last season.
So started the butterfly effect (another one) which has kept this place pretty much palace free for the best part of 6 months.

Respect needs to be given - it's been earned.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Seems to me to be a theme developing here. Biss not good enough at Spurs. Cucurella at Chelsea struggling, and they're rumoured to be looking at another left sided defender. And Maups.

I thought I read that this guy Chelsea are looking at from Monaco is a left sided CB - hopefully opening the door for us to sign Levi permanently.

On Everton - its hardly surprising that Lampard is still in a job when the club that employs him think Maupay is the answer to their problems. Definition of a panic buy. That says so much about how that club is being run. Hopefully they get relegated this time.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
An overview, this business has all the hallmarks of Tony Bloom astuteness:

Signed for £20m, then scoring 26 vital EPL goals over three seasons, whilst fluffing a stack of chances. Got sulky and angled for a move away. So we raked in a tidy £15m. Whereupon he’s shit elsewhere.
He didn't even cost £20m.

He cost somewhere between £15m-18m so we pretty much broke even.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I thought I read that this guy Chelsea are looking at from Monaco is a left sided CB - hopefully opening the door for us to sign Levi permanently.

On Everton - its hardly surprising that Lampard is still in a job when the club that employs him think Maupay is the answer to their problems. Definition of a panic buy. That says so much about how that club is being run. Hopefully they get relegated this time.
A pedant writes that a left sided CB is a left sided defender :wink:

And left CB in a three is supposed to be one of Cucurella's positions. This potentially puts Chelsea's £63 million man behind Badashile (and Koulibaly?) for that spot but he should just about be ok at left back until Chilwell gets back from injury.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Lots of people concluding that Maupay is a championship striker on here.
I think that's a bit harsh personally. Certainly the Maupay of his first 2 seasons with us was absolutely fine. He belongs in that Matt Ryan bracket of players who slots into a lower Prem team with ease and doesn't look out of place. Perhaps should score more but does score a few others and works hard. I was sad to see him go at the time. Not so much, now though.
But for all that, he's an easy fall guy in a crap, struggling squad. You can imagine Everton being so shit they fashion about two chances a game, one falls to Maupay, he misses, they lose and it's suddenly all his fault.
I bet he regrets his move a bit. Everton fans will be a lot less patient and forgiving of in his profligacy and sulks than ours were.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
We rarely make a false move in our transfer business. In related striker news, Crystal Palace FC 'pipped' us to the signature of Celtic's Osonne Edouard, who has, in 41 appearances in the vainglorious red and blue stripes, a grand total of 9 goals, including 3 in 13 appearances so far this season.
:lolol::lolol::ffsparr:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here