Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay...SIGNED FOR EVERTON.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Lots of people concluding that Maupay is a championship striker on here.
I think that's a bit harsh personally. Certainly the Maupay of his first 2 seasons with us was absolutely fine. He belongs in that Matt Ryan bracket of players who slots into a lower Prem team with ease and doesn't look out of place. Perhaps should score more but does score a few others and works hard. I was sad to see him go at the time. Not so much, now though.
But for all that, he's an easy fall guy in a crap, struggling squad. You can imagine Everton being so shit they fashion about two chances a game, one falls to Maupay, he misses, they lose and it's suddenly all his fault.
I bet he regrets his move a bit. Everton fans will be a lot less patient and forgiving of in his profligacy and sulks than ours were.
Yep….good servant for us while he was here and responsible for some epic moments, just another player that wasn’t able to continue his progression at the same rate the overall club/squad have. Everton was an odd move for him to take - says a lot more about their management and ambitions these days than Maupay’s ability.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yep….good servant for us while he was here and responsible for some epic moments, just another player that wasn’t able to continue his progression at the same rate the overall club/squad have. Everton was an odd move for him to take - says a lot more about their management and ambitions these days than Maupay’s ability.
Good servant is right, but his level is probably somewhere between PL and championship IMO, so a foreign league. Everton was an odd one though.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Quite. Although Maupay is a Championship player at best. The fact that Lampard is not even up to that standard is clearly a major problem for Everton. They’re in a world of trouble.
If a player becomes the top scorer for a PL team three seasons in a row... how does that make him a Championship player? And if that player on his last stint in the Championship scored 25 goals, how is it possible that he is at best a Championship player?

Look, I know he was rivalling your favorite player, world class goal-machine Danny Welbeck, for a spot but the amount of disrespect for a player who was absolutely key to survival at least in 2019/20 (imagine how that season would have gone with 52-year-old Glenn Murray and Aaron Connolly being the striker options) is astonishing.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I liked Maupay but never as a lone striker, he was always so much more effective playing off another striker. In a nutshell was WH at home at the end of last season, he came on at HT and played off Welbeck, he changed the game, was mobile, linked the play and looked a threat. He rarely looked a threat when a lone striker (its almost like Undav is his flipping clone). So how are Everton using him……..
I’d piss myself if they went down, I’d not be happy for Neal though, unlike that **** left back at Chelsea I’d always welcome Maupay back at the Amex.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If a player becomes the top scorer for a PL team three seasons in a row... how does that make him a Championship player? And if that player on his last stint in the Championship scored 25 goals, how is it possible that he is at best a Championship player?

Look, I know he was rivalling your favorite player, world class goal-machine Danny Welbeck, for a spot but the amount of disrespect for a player who was absolutely key to survival at least in 2019/20 (imagine how that season would have gone with 52-year-old Glenn Murray and Aaron Connolly being the striker options) is astonishing.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz etc

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
My mate is an Everton fan and honestly can’t believe he is a premier league footballer. Let alone one they paid £15m for. He is a STH at Goodison and sees every game home and away. Reckons he is just about the worst striker in their Premier League history. He reckons the (infamously dogshit) Joe Max Moore or Cenk Tosun were twice the player he is.

Sounds a bit hyperbolic, but in truth he has been absolutely dreadful in the minutes I’ve watched him play for Everton. He just looks so painfully slow suddenly.
Yeah he’s clearly not ‘the worst striker in premier league history’. He gave us some very good moments but just didn’t do it enough I’m afraid.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz etc
But he's right though!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Though arguably Murray would still have been top scorer at 52 (and even now).

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Though arguably Murray would still have been top scorer at 52 (and even now).
Yeah but he was a bit done when GP took over (or perhaps even before that). Clever player and did ok in most games, including his last start (against Burnley if I remember it right) fwhere he was very useful with his cleverness and hold up-play,

But in his last season for Brighton there was so many situations, both in front of goal and elsewhere, where he was just half a second too slow to get in the right area or to receive a pass ahead of a defender etc. Don't think he would have reached the same number of goals as Maupay even if he had got the same game time.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Playing in a crap Forest team void of chances, did okay for us in the few games under Potter. It was the pace that had passed him by, not ability.
That bit of pace that had gone is pretty crucial though. Only scored a couple for us in his season with Potter, and didn't score in his matches with Watford either.
To be clear, I love the bloke, but his time was up.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yeah but he was a bit done when GP took over (or perhaps even before that). Clever player and did ok in most games, including his last start (against Burnley if I remember it right) fwhere he was very useful with his cleverness and hold up-play,

But in his last season for Brighton there was so many situations, both in front of goal and elsewhere, where he was just half a second too slow to get in the right area or to receive a pass ahead of a defender etc. Don't think he would have reached the same number of goals as Maupay even if he had got the same game time.
Definitely had lost pace as per my post, but streets ahead of Maupay in terms of finishing and touch. Potter’s teams need pace.

As per my other post Maupay is a player who could make it in a top league, just not PL…… Certainly, better than championship IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here