Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] NCS’s most talented footballer?

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I'm genuinely awful, but Ian Selley - winner of the FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA Cup with Arsenal - went to my school and I played with him until we were 14 or so. My main memory of playing with him is surprise that he was the one who "made it" because in our schoolboy naivety we felt at least one other player was better. I can see it now: me (in goal because the opposition was so dreadful there was little risk of them having a shot). discussing in disbelief with my mate Matthew (odd boots and different sizes from lost property because he'd forgotten to bring his own), how Sanchez was so much better and what could Arsenal be thinking.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes, Yes, No .......... now in Swansea, moved around southern England a lot ended up in Wales for work, now staying put! Lived in Scaynes Hill, Pelling area.
Amazing. .I'm always on the look out for any archive / pictures / history of Chailey football / sports clubs - so if you have any. PM me.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Amazing. .I'm always on the look out for any archive / pictures / history of Chailey football / sports clubs - so if you have any. PM me.
Sadly, I have no team photos including me apart from school. No pictures of the common, nada. I have an E Bay search including Chailey if anything ever cropped up. I believe the team was disbanded down to discipline issues, now that is amazing!! but maybe Chailey has changed in the last 40 odd years, wow I must be getting old.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Sadly, I have no team photos including me apart from school. No pictures of the common, nada. I have an E Bay search including Chailey if anything ever cropped up. I believe the team was disbanded down to discipline issues, now that is amazing!! but maybe Chailey has changed in the last 40 odd years, wow I must be getting old.
There's no longer a Chailey football team for adults sadly but quite a thriving youth club with teams from 5 -16 playing up on the Common on Sunday mornings . Newick still have a decent Saturday adults team too. Clubhouse has been done up too !

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I was (and still am) a rubbish footballer, as several regulars on here will confirm (@Jack Straw , @WATFORD zero) but I was once booked by an FA Cup final and Fifa-listed referee.

At a college reunion a few years ago, the bloke who was our football club secretary mentioned that anyone who had ever been booked while he was in charge had been booked by David Elleray. He knew this because, as secretary, he was sent all notifications of bookings so that we could pay the (negligible) fines, and Elleray was the only referee officious enough to book players at that level. He remembered the name as it was quite unusual.

The booking was for dissent, specifically for complaining that the ball was too hard. He claimed it couldn't be because he had checked it himself. I recall pointing out something to the effect that he 'didn't have to head the f***ing thing.' And I might well have called him a bad word after that, but it was about 50 years ago, so we have to rely on the balance of probabilities ...
I once did battle with David Elleray's brother at a four-day public inquiry - Anthony Elleray QC.

I won, which was very pleasing.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
There's no longer a Chailey football team for adults sadly but quite a thriving youth club with teams from 5 -16 playing up on the Common on Sunday mornings . Newick still have a decent Saturday adults team too. Clubhouse has been done up too !
I did drive back on a football trip in the last 10 years and the saw the improvements!! I believe the pitch has swung round as well. I also did try to get old Mid Sussex Times, via the British Newspaper Archives, to see if I could remember some of the teams etc but alas nothing was there.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I scored two goals in the Boys' Brigade Junior Cup Final at Wild Park in 1983.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
In my time there were 12/15 divisions in Brighton and Sunday League. Not sure but think Brighton League has almalgomated with Wothing League and very few teams. Same for Sunday League. For years had such fun and made so many friends. Why dont people play now ?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Had/have a beauty of a left foot and used to play in left/cental midfield at school. Used to smash penalties and free kicks but I didn't get anywhere near the school year team. Poor disciplinary record let me down if I was mistackled or dispossed as well.

Loved PE with Mr. Chisholm (his son became a rugby player in the professional ranks). Lovely man who always gave words of encouragement and never criticism - we always said he looked like John Aldridge with the Scouse accent to go with it!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm genuinely awful, but Ian Selley - winner of the FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA Cup with Arsenal - went to my school and I played with him until we were 14 or so. My main memory of playing with him is surprise that he was the one who "made it" because in our schoolboy naivety we felt at least one other player was better.
Interesting to hear. I know someone who played for Leicester boys with Gary Lineker and he said that GL wasn't the best player in that team and yet he was the only one who made it. A mate of mine was at school with Mad Dog Kennedy and he said that he wasn't even in the top five in that school team and that he was shocked when he realised that Kennedy had become a professional, as he looked nowhere near good enough.

I suppose it''s partly down to how players mature but also who wants it the most. If, at 16/17, you're more interested in booze and girls than you are in football, you're going to fall by the wayside - not sure how Mad Dog managed it though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here