Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor STILL sucking off Barton

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Are they looking at it?

I live here and as a Brighton fan I must be a part of the demographic they target. What Naylor has done is make sure I will never buy the Argus. I haven't clicked on any link either.

He could easily create the debate/comment and Argus views by writing about the incident and getting it right. It was a big talking point and if he understood football and what happened and he wrote about that, someone would post what he'd said here and more of us would probably click on the link etc. He'd also have some credibility and sell more papers.

And Brighton fans on NSC are not too blinkered, there's plenty of criticism here when the team get things wrong and we wouldn't mind Naylor saying we got it wrong if we had. It's his complete lack of understanding of football that makes him a joke and makes me have no intention of buying a paper he writes for.

The Independent thinks the FA/FL will look into it. We can only hope

[tweet]716298059894951936[/tweet]

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Naylor is just an attention seeking jerk.

He was deliberately provocative with that dreadful piece slagging of BHAFC fans.

Like all attention seekers its probably best just to ignore him. Don't buy the Argus. When the circulation falls even further and the paper gets closed down (as so many "locals" have in previous years), Naylor will be on the dole. With the crap he comes out with, its not likely any other newspaper is going to take him on. Now wouldn't that be a deserved ending to an illustrious media career.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Did you see the ref even bother to speak to the player who took out Murphy?

Yes, I'm pretty sure he said " look I made a bit of a tit out of myself last time I was in charge of this game. I'd prefer it if I didn't have to give out any cards at all today, what with the match being on Sky and everything."

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't understand Naylor's thought process here. The facts are these -

1. Joey Barton has a long track record of reckless behaviour, on and off the field. He's lost it may times before.
2. It looked like a deliberate stamp in real time. It looks like a deliberate stamp in slo-mo. There's a good chance, therefore, that it was a deliberate stamp.
3. Barton's reaction after the stamp was one of self-preservation. If anyone else had inadvertently stamped on an opponent their first concern would be for that player's welfare. But Joey Barton is very much a lone wolf.
4. Most of Naylor's readers will believe it was a deliberate stamp.

I actually think Naylor's stuff is OK but this is a low point.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There was a late challenge on Kayal, in the first half, where both players were flat out on the floor. Advantage was played because Murphy? was put through, and immediately wiped out. Two yellow card challenges in a row.. At least we got a free kick for that one.

I remember that....... One of the most astonishing refereeing decisions of recent years in my opinion.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I am absolutely certain that Naylor has taken the opposite view from Brighton fans not necessarily from the evidence but because of the fuss we've made about it. His default position is that we're all hysterical idiots who know nothing about the game therefore we're wrong.

I guess if I was a sports journalist whose career had peaked at a regional newspaper in terminal decline reporting on a team I don't much care for I'd be bitter too.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's a shame with Andy Naylor. I actually think he is a decent journalist, but he has clearly got a thing with Brighton fans, which is extremely unfortunate to say the least considering they constitute the bulk of the Argus readership.

We all know there are supporters who see things only through blue-tinted spectacles, but there are plenty that don't.

I don't know what it is, maybe he just got pissed off with some stupid criticism of him on here and Twitter over the years (and there has been plenty) and just thought 'Well, if they're going to slag me off, I'll give them something worthwhile'.

The digs are regular and have been going on for a long time, and are generally very dismissive of Albion's fans ability to assess incidents for themselves.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I remember that....... One of the most astonishing refereeing decisions of recent years in my opinion.
Yes Pawson clearly noted the foul and played advantage. When no advantage was coming I was wondering how many cards he was going to show and whether the first one was red or yellow. Utter disbelief when there was no punishment at all.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Just watched the highlights on Player. The stamp is obvious, he brings his leg down on Kayal when the natural movement is to follow on and away from the leg.

On a second point though I can't see anything wrong with the build up to their equaliser.
Did someone say Goldson was pushed out of the way? Not from what I can see on the highlights. Looked perfectly legit to me.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So cast your minds back to Chelsea v Liverpool January 2015, Diego Costa stamps on Emre Can, no action taken during the game. FA bring retrospective charge, both Costa and Mourinho claim accidental. FA on review of action by referee hand down a 3 game ban.

So what's the difference other than one was a Championship game.

If the FA want to bring consistency to the game, there is only one option a ban for Barton

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
When will the panel adjudicate?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
You would like to think that, by now, the officials of ANY match where Barton is playing would assume the worst in any scenario where he's jumping on someone's leg or leading with the elbow because he ALWAYS does it.

The man is a good football player but he will end someone's career sooner or later.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Doesn't any potential decision by the FA rely on the ref not seeing, or claiming he didn't see the incident?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here