Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor slags off Amex support

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Dangerous nonsense in my humble opinion.

The last thing we want is "constant noise" dominated by a bunch of self-regarding Ultras. The rather failing ones that we have are bad enough.

Better than the atmosphere having completely evaporated which is how it seems in my seat in WSU

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Now, if you want to experience a library atmosphere, Riverside is the worst place I've been to.

Brighton has the third highest attendance in the Championship.
https://www.statbunker.com/competitions/HomeAttendance?comp_id=488

That link is to last season's attendance. this year we are second to Derby, more than 2k higher than third placed Leeds.

The article itself is a bit of a non-event. One could just as easily have written a positive piece, saying we were 2nd highest crowd despite the dismal season last year and the effect on ST numbers; the good atmosphere created before the game with the positive effect of GOSBTS words; the superb relationship many players have with the crowd, throwing shirts at the end, positive twitter comments etc. But in hackneyed "journalist" mode it is always easier to write a piece with a negative slant to try and provoke a reaction and "publicity" for the A*us. Nothing to see here.

PG

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
But not sure why AN can't pose the question why , given we are in our best position in the league for over 30 years, crowds are down on last season and for certain recent games the crowds haven't been higher given our run of form.
It is very negative.

He is trying to make the assertion stick that somehow Albion fans are not "good" fans who get behind their team by attending matches in big numbers.

Few things could be further from the truth but yet you are happy to give it credibility....?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
He's bang on. What's the problem? There's very little buzz pre-match considering our position in the league and the crowd only really get going if the team is playing well rather than trying to lift them. Partly, it just seems to be the way football is going - but there are still some clubs where the fans make a real effort, rather than politely chat. If I'm honest, I didn't even think the atmosphere at MK was that great in the build-up to the game, considering our league position (though it was fantastic once the performance got it going). Perhaps it was just drowned out by the handful of clowns next to me who bizarrely got irate that our very varied crowd these days don't join in with their 'hilarious' wit. Gems about Victoria Beckham loving the taste of spunk, or "Chrissy Hughton's having a party, you can f**k off Jamie Vardy (why?)" or randomly screaming "Bruno, I want to have your babies" or "Break the f****** C***" any time an MK player had the ball. It's the only time I'd wished I could have the usual bloke from the Amex behind me, chuntering away incessantly that all our players are shit for one reason or another.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Football has become sanitized, it couldn't carry on the way it was during the 80's but its like entering a well managed theme park these days. The club is limited by what it can do but a greater understanding and consultation with our fans specifically with "atmosphere" in mind might help.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Nah, not having that. A "flaw" implies "accident" or "mistake". Given Tony's careful, systematic and planned approach to, well, everything, as far as I can see, including many other aspects of the AMEX, the design of the North is not a mistake...it's deliberate (imo, of course). Why? See below...

....because Tony doesn't want a "kop"; he prefers the gentrification of football. Given the "relative affluence" (quote PB) of our fan base, I would suggest that the size and shape of the North was designed to ensure that fewer old school football fans came (or could come) to games, meaning that the atmosphere was more amenable to the relatively affluent customer (fan) that our geography and economic situation means we can attract, which is why the West is so very big. Oh, and they pay more than the old school fan is prepared to/can any way.

We have an excellent stadium for middle class, relatively affluent fans to enjoy the football. A large, banked, (standing, if it were legal) North would make it more likely that those fans that the middle class folk don't really want to hang around with ("they might piss on the station wall, FFS. We can't have the kids seeing that") would turn up.

The debate about whether or not the gentrification of football is a good thing will rage on. However, I honestly don't think that there's much room for debate about whether the design of the North was deliberate. In my view, it definitely was.

That's the biggest load of Betty Swallocks I've read on here for a long time :facepalm:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Nah, not having that. A "flaw" implies "accident" or "mistake". Given Tony's careful, systematic and planned approach to, well, everything, as far as I can see, including many other aspects of the AMEX, the design of the North is not a mistake...it's deliberate (imo, of course). Why? See below...

....because Tony doesn't want a "kop"; he prefers the gentrification of football. Given the "relative affluence" (quote PB) of our fan base, I would suggest that the size and shape of the North was designed to ensure that fewer old school football fans came (or could come) to games, meaning that the atmosphere was more amenable to the relatively affluent customer (fan) that our geography and economic situation means we can attract, which is why the West is so very big. Oh, and they pay more than the old school fan is prepared to/can any way.

We have an excellent stadium for middle class, relatively affluent fans to enjoy the football. A large, banked, (standing, if it were legal) North would make it more likely that those fans that the middle class folk don't really want to hang around with ("they might piss on the station wall, FFS. We can't have the kids seeing that") would turn up.

The debate about whether or not the gentrification of football is a good thing will rage on. However, I honestly don't think that there's much room for debate about whether the design of the North was deliberate. In my view, it definitely was.

I am wondering why, if Tony likes a more gentrified version of football, he will sometimes get the train home from an away game with other travelling fans, and pop into the Railway Bell (not known for Gentlemen) for a few beers after a home match, on occasion?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It's harsh blaming Tony when it was Martin Perry's remit.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I suspect he knows the atmosphere will be probably the best it has been all season against Burnley, he wants to take the credit for that afterwards by saying his rant made the difference.

I think you'll be wrong there. In my experience the atmosphere is quieter when we play the really important games as everyone seems to be holding their breath and crossing everything. There will be an outbreak of cheering and shouting if we score but it will quickly dry up if they start to fight back. And another point - the KO time will mean there isn't enough time for most people to fill up with alcohol.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
That link is to last season's attendance. this year we are second to Derby, more than 2k higher than third placed Leeds.

The article itself is a bit of a non-event. One could just as easily have written a positive piece, saying we were 2nd highest crowd despite the dismal season last year and the effect on ST numbers; the good atmosphere created before the game with the positive effect of GOSBTS words; the superb relationship many players have with the crowd, throwing shirts at the end, positive twitter comments etc. But in hackneyed "journalist" mode it is always easier to write a piece with a negative slant to try and provoke a reaction and "publicity" for the A*us. Nothing to see here.

PG
Well said. Getting lots of bites on here because it is so "wrong" and we are very proud of our club. I'll leave it here and concentrate on England's women chasing 91 against India.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Given this comment, I wonder how many times he has visited Selhurst Park other than when working on our games there:

"The best example of home support is the most painful of all for an Albion fan, Palace at Selhurst Park."

I think we've all seen over recent weeks that the there is considerable amount of myth about the Palace experience as televised games have shown the place to be three-quarters empty with the game still going on.

His original comment kinda backs up what I'm saying about performance. Palace have been gash this year; the ultras can make us much noise – or create as much atmosphere – as they like, it's not going to get the ball in the back of the net! :goal:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I have no strong views either way on JV, apart from thinking it was unnecessary for him to write a piece on cup final day in 1983 about Melia being replaced by John Bond.

Blimey, you've got a good memory.

Thank goodness it was eventually Chris Cattlin and not Bond.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
In the ground the whole police box crew rubbish that creates some kind of one upmanship between different parts of the north stand doesn't help either.

I would like to assure you there is on 'one upmanship' between the two groups that largely start the songs in the North Stand. The group under the big screen has many people who used to be under the police box, and vice versa. We all get along, believe it or not. The problem is both groups start songs the moment there is silence, We do not wait for it to get loud enough from the other side for us to hear what they are singing then join in. And lets remember they are 50ish yards away. What about the vast swathes of blocks D and E who do not join in with either side? It might be easier for songs to spread across the North Stand if these people joined in with someone or something at some point other than when we have just scored...

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Firstly, I don't think the atmosphere is that bad. Sometimes it's very good.

But, the problem is is that it isn't as good as the first couple of seasons. In those seasons, the West Stand sang a lot more and was louder. It's really dipped up there. When they used to sing, the rest of the ground would join in and it sounded brilliant. I remember when the bigger teams came down and sang their club anthems, (West Ham sticks out) and the West would drown them out with booing and whistling. That doesn't happen anymore, almost like they can't be bothered.

From my bit in the North, we sing just as much as we did in the first couple of seasons.

Here are some things that I think can hinder the support:

It seems as though the back 6 or 7 rows of the North are constant singers. The rest hardly ever join in. So, there are not enough singers in the North, the rest are spread out around the ground.

Safe standing would have an effect, but that's not allowed atm.

The away fans are nowhere near the North, so you won't get anywhere near the level of "banter" that we had at Reading.

There are a number of North Stand singing groups not together, so sometimes we have different songs going on at the same time, and therefor not being able to belt out one of them all together.

I don't mean to be ageist, but we don't have a large amount of 16-30 year olds in our support like other clubs do. These are generally the sort of people that get a bit boisterous and like a sing. That's down to the lost generation, so it won't be rectified for some time.

Price of match day tickets. We are not going pick up many new "North Stand Goldstone" types with £28 per match tickets. I think a group of low income lads would think that was too dear, even with the free travel, which they may or may not use. I think my ST is great value, but most brand new fans aren't going to by a ST without seeing what it's like a few times.

This basically.

I usually sit in the southern end of WSL but for Reading I was right next to the North and noticed that the police box NSK mob are pretty much non stop but the rest of the North either don't join in or start a different song.

I know this issue has been raised before but having a unified North Stand belting out the wide repertoire of the NSK would eventually encourage other stands to join in.

Just like on Saturday when everyone eventually learned that "we all follow Brightonovalbion" :)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That's the biggest load of Betty Swallocks I've read on here for a long time :facepalm:

Care to add some content to your rebuttal?

I am wondering why, if Tony likes a more gentrified version of football, he will sometimes get the train home from an away game with other travelling fans, and pop into the Railway Bell (not known for Gentlemen) for a few beers after a home match, on occasion?

My point was that he "preferred" the gentrification of football to the alternative at his own stadium, that he owns. A gentrified fan base is less likely to rip seats up, piss down the stairs and generally cause trouble and more likely to spend more money (because they have it). It's a similar argument to why house prices in "nicer" neighbourhoods are higher... the neighbours are "nicer".

Do I take it then that you think the design of the North was simply a mistake? If not, do you have a view as to why it was designed the way it was?

It's harsh blaming Tony when it was Martin Perry's remit.

Spending Tony's money and reporting directly to Tony....

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Away support is often more ardent that home support. Tuesday night at Rotherham fans are likely 'man for man' to make more noise than a home fan. ( even if this year it was to have a moan about a rare poor performance. ) what I would say is that part of the club's nature is to make the Amex a welcoming place to visit. We are so polite, let's clap the away fans for visiting our beautiful stadium. I didn't notice the same response at MK or any other away ground I've been to this season.
I think the run in is likely to provide a bit more noise than usual especially after the dramatic end to the MK game. However, are we ever likely to turn the Amex into a cauldron of noise and ferocious atmosphere? Probably not.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It is very negative.

He is trying to make the assertion stick that somehow Albion fans are not "good" fans who get behind their team by attending matches in big numbers.

Few things could be further from the truth but yet you are happy to give it credibility....?

He doesn't say that. He doesn't "slag off" fans. He said in his tweet that in his view "support" has been "poor" by which he means [size of] support.
I would have phrased that differently.
However in comparison to previous seasons at the Amex then this is self evidently true given that season ticket holders have fallen substantially in in the last 2 seasons.

Last edited:

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I've made this point on another thread but giving the fans a chance to build the atmosphere before kick off would really help.

After the tannoy cuts for us to finish GOSBTS please LEAVE THE TANNOY OFF!

Deafening music right up to kick off is the most counterproductive thing anyone could have dreamed of.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Why is it so difficult to resolve.... create a specific singing section in the south West areas.....this will create a focus that the other areas will follow.... sadly the North just isn't cutting it as they should... too many egos and too few braincells. .....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here