Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor slags off Amex support

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Let's be honest though (having lived there)
Brighton, Hove, Portslade is a pleasent enough place to live but don't expect unbridled passion.
That's why the potential of MK is so much greater it's gritty, urban and bang on between London and Birmingham.

Ye but nobody originally came from there, same as the team

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
"Albion have the best away support in the Championship."

I think a few clubs would argue with that. Boro, for starters.

Which is why his points are not to be taken too seriously.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Why would it be laughable? I've been to Villa, Stadium of Light, Bournemouth, Southampton and Swansea. Their support is no louder than ours.

You are kidding??? Muff and Staines probably but the others, especially Swansea are loud. Plus they know all the words to their own anthem!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
he's on about making an atmosphere and yes Amex can be a bit crap. Yes so can other grounds. But I don't care about them and nor should anyone else on here.

So man or woman up, he's making a not unfair point (if you can separate financial support from matchday support, if you can't then you're a bit simple) that's all. Take a leaf out of Leicester fans book and "do your bit" in final games. Clear?

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I'm happy to defend vocally AN and the other journalists who regularly cover the Albion.. I think the criticism he gets on here is ridiculous. Its certainly not poorly researched, dull or trite.
The Argus pays for impressive Albion photography, reporting, journalism, it occasionally holds the club to account (pricing, player recruitment, performances), and provides 2-4 pages of Albion coverage in print,most of it for free online and on Twitter nearly 7 days a week. Of course AN sometimes gets things wrong and he's sometimes tetchy about NSC (who can blame him after comments like the above) but he often holds up his hands to that and is remarkably patient on Twitter especially with some of the reaction he gets.

At the moment the owners of the Albion are relatively benign but that might not always be the case in which case paid journalism with the motivation and resources to scrutinise our club is something worth supporting everywhere.
Do you just want local media to be purely the match reports and coverage provided via the staff who write for seagulls.co.uk ?

Exactly right. Great post.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Nothing but when they write an article that is plainly daft then they lose credibility. I stopped reading when he said about Milton Keyes "the relatively short trip". .

Given its the 4th or 5th shortest journey out of all 23 games this season then "relatively" it is short as the majority of Albion away days , and lets face it he drives to all of them, are far further than MK.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Given its the 4th or 5th shortest journey out of all 23 games this season then "relatively" it is short as the majority of Albion away days , and lets face it he drives to all of them, are far further than MK.

Naylor got on our train to Fenny Stratford on saturday.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
But I still don't agree with his views and I believe encouragement and a challenge to fans and the club to make the Amex a fortress would have been better than snide swipes on Twitter.

Encouragement like :
Albion have the best away support in the Championship.
Fans travel in numbers and make a lot of noise.
More than 7,000 made the relatively short journey to Milton Keynes on Saturday to witness another crucial three points in the push for automatic promotion.
It was a one-off in terms of scale, but symptomatic of the away backing all season for Chris Hughton's team in a division dominated by long trips north.

A challenge to fans to make the Amex a fortress like...
Now it is time for the Amex crowd to do their bit, to turn out in force and crank up the volume.
Chris Hughton's team have delivered all season. Now supporters at the Amex need to deliver, to be their 12th man.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Let's be honest though (having lived there)
Brighton, Hove, Portslade is a pleasent enough place to live but don't expect unbridled passion.
That's why the potential of MK is so much greater it's gritty, urban and bang on between London and Birmingham.

:lolol:

Yeah, I remember the last time I was there and it nearly KICKED OFF in TK Maxx as Chardonnay and Jordan tried to pick up the last pair of discount Uggs simultaneously. Luckily they made it up over a Big Mac and a Millies Cookie. There was CHAOS at a roundabout as Cyril confused the third roundabout after Boots for the fourth and ended up heading back towards Aylesbury and no one knew if there was enough petrol left in his Focus. TUTTING on the platform of the station as someone mistook a Virgin for a Southern stopper to Croydon and had to RUSH across to platform 3 at top speed. And near BEDLAM at Stadium MK when Toby and Terry not only forgot that they were still wearing their Spurs shirts from last week but had also temporarily forgotten the tune to Sloop John B.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Encouragement like :

Nice paragraph to end on, after blaming the fans for poor turnouts and poor noise levels. Perhaps I should have said encouragement without the snide swipe on Twitter, rather than better off. Either way, he criticised us first for things which I don't agree are the fans own fault or that most other clubs support is better and then finished off on a nice paragraph. Like I said, it's more the Twitter stuff than what he ended up writing.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
I think the fans at the Amex get more excited and make more noise than our manager does, I know Gus was too OTT at times but the arms folded while fans strain for him to get a bloody sub on before the final whistle goes is becoming regularly painful... but we haven't made enough noise given the position we are in, in the league, and from now until the end of the season we ALL need to up the ante - I don't care if its flags balloons clackers a drum a bloody brass band anything to keep the rhythm and noise going

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Nice paragraph to end on, after blaming the fans for poor turnouts and poor noise levels. Perhaps I should have said encouragement without the snide swipe on Twitter, rather than better off. Either way, he criticised us first for things which I don't agree are the fans own fault or that most other clubs support is better and then finished off on a nice paragraph. Like I said, it's more the Twitter stuff than what he ended up writing.

Not for me. It's riddled with contention and takes a massive great swipe at the Brighton public for choosing the cheaper tickets of MK away and Sheffield Wednesday at home over a twice rearranged Category A game that attracted 299 away fans. It's one of the worst things Naylor's written in a while and is pure click bait. Even now no one's quite sure if he's serious.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Encouragement like :

Naylor to fan: Disagree strongly (About the Amex having a better atmos than other clubs). Not in my experience.
Fan to Naylor: Interesting. Perhaps a Drum and goal music sway you? 0-0 away at Hull case in point. No atmos at all!
Naylor to Fan: Difference is Hull have a recent Premier League history. The Championship, for them, is deflating. #bhafc

This is encouragement?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Wonder how many posters on here who think Naylor is out of touch and disagree with everything he says, would take umbrage at his suggestion in his column two weeks ago that the club should use the Sky windfall to subsidise away travel for fans, for example to Forest and Boro later this season.
via http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/143...uld_ease_the_pain_of_out_of_pocket_away_fans/

Albion's broadcast windfall for ten live appearances on Sky this season, with one or two more possibly to follow, is over £600,000.
Re-investing some of it would be worthwhile to encourage fans to make a journey reviving fond memories.
Leo Ulloa's last-gasp goal at the City Ground on the final day two seasons ago pinched a place in the play-offs.
Much further back, I recall travelling via a fleet of coaches to the banks of the River Trent to watch Alan Mullery's Albion end Forest's long, unbeaten home record under Brian Clough.
The size of the away support in the East Midlands for a key match next month is sure to suffer because of the Saturday to Monday switch. The club could boost numbers by organising something similar.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Surely his Twitter comment achieved what it set out to achieve though, which was to get some attention for the main article?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Surely his Twitter comment achieved what it set out to achieve though, which was to get some attention for the main article?

He's had a great day at the office. When the sign on your office door says "Third rate Samantha Brick, next stop Tim Hodges"

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Wonder how many posters on here who think Naylor is out of touch and disagree with everything he says, would take umbrage at his suggestion in his column two weeks ago that the club should use the Sky windfall to subsidise away travel for fans, for example to Forest and Boro later this season.
via http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/143...uld_ease_the_pain_of_out_of_pocket_away_fans/

I thought "that was suggested on NSC nearly a week ago":

Why not spend the £30k in subsidising 20 coaches (1k fans) at £30/per head? It might just be the best investment of the season. I know the coach doesn't suit everyone but it gets you home the same night which isn't possible by train.

How about it [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION] ? #Together? Or is this just facile marketing? Prove it isn't.

PG

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I thought "that was suggested on NSC nearly a week ago":

Ha!
Isn't every single point in ANs column today been made by someone on NSC recently, even the Palace have the noisiest atmos zinger. (Best away fans, poor atmos in Amex, poor turn out for evening games, crowd as "12th man").

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here