Apr 5, 2014

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
So Netherlands, Hungary, Croatia and Spain/Portugal are into the finals. If anybody needed a reality check about how these games are quasi-friendlies and not a helpful indicator for Qatar, that’s it right there. No way are they the best four teams in Europe.

France have had a similarly bad two international breaks, but you can bet, just like us, they’ll be up there in Qatar as serious contenders. Glad this game is out of the way now so the Southgate bashing can take a break.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
So Netherlands, Hungary, Croatia and Spain/Portugal are into the finals. If anybody needed a reality check about how these games are quasi-friendlies and not a helpful indicator for Qatar, that’s it right there. No way are they the best four teams in Europe.

France have had a similarly bad two international breaks, but you can bet, just like us, they’ll be up there in Qatar as serious contenders. Glad this game is out of the way now so the Southgate bashing can take a break.

Italy are in the Finals, not Hungary.

For anyone who endured the first 70 minutes of the game, criticism of Southgate is still valid.

His continued selection of Maguire is indefensible.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
This Southgate abuse is getting so ridiculous and deeply unpleasant when we're so close to a World Cup - or anytime for that matter. He's delivered a World Cup semi-final and European final in the last four years.

To all the haters - who the hell would you get in to replace him?!

So many people have short memories. Where were we six years ago? An absolute laughing stock with Hodgson.

Ok, I don't understand why Harry Maguire is playing and only using Bukayo Saka as a substitute tonight but no manager has ever been 100% perfect. The grudge against him because he spent a large part of his career at Crystal Palace is bordering on the farcical now.

England will reach the quarter-finals of the World Cup at the very least and I hope we keep him until the end of his contract.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Jorge Sampaoli's just finished at Marseille having finished 2nd to PSG in Ligue 1 last season. He won the Copa America with Chile in 2015, was named on the 3 man shortlist for 2015 FIFA World Coach of the Year (Pep Guardiola and Luis Enrique were the other 2), and managed Argentina in WC2018, only going out to the eventual winners France in that epic 4-3 game.

As a backup option, Pochettino clearly knows the English game well and has managed at the top level in Europe with PSG.

Either of these 2 options would IMHO be a marked improvement on Southgate.

And that's without considering English/British managers.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm just so shattered at the moment mate. Wish I could be happier.

Don't worry, it will soon be over.

Paradigm -> Normality -> Resistance -> Crisis -> Acceptance -> New paradigm

The crisis part always feels bad for an awful lot of people. Like climbing a very fatiguing hill and you don't know what the world looks like on the other side. But once you're there, you'll settle.. and it won't be so bad. Same shit, different world, hopefully less action and chaos.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
This Southgate abuse is getting so ridiculous and deeply unpleasant when we're so close to a World Cup - or anytime for that matter. He's delivered a World Cup semi-final and European final in the last four years.

So many people have short memories. Where were we six years ago? An absolute laughing stock with Hodgson.

Ok, I don't understand why Harry Maguire is playing and only using Bukayo Saka as a substitute tonight but no manager has ever been 100% perfect. The grudge against him because he spent a large part of his career at Crystal Palace is bordering on the farcical now.

England will reach the quarter-finals of the World Cup at the very least and I hope we keep him until the end of his contract.

Oh please.

Southgate didn’t lead us to the semi/final, the people doing the draws did, and every other half decent team for falling on their sword along the way.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011

Tuchel could do a job. Drop him in for the WC see what happens.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Italy are in the Finals, not Hungary.

For anyone who endured the first 70 minutes of the game, criticism of Southgate is still valid.

His continued selection of Maguire is indefensible.

What have we learnt from the last 6 international games going into the finals we don’t already know.

He’s completely wasted the chance to rest some of the squad and try other players and give them some minutes.

The two exceptions to this is Bellingham and Dier

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Whether you think Southgate is a good coach or not (personally I don't and think we reached the finals of the Euro's in spite of him), I think the point is he is the wrong coach for this group of players.

We have got an incredibly exciting collection of attacking players that are the envy of most nations - Kane, Sterling, Foden, Rashford, Sancho, Mount, Grealish, Maddison, Bellingham, Gordon, Saka, TAA - but unfortunately, Southgate is ultra conservative and focuses on the defensive side of the game which is without doubt our weakest area, it doesn't work with the players we've got. He tries to protect weak links like Maguire and Dier which massively takes away from our attacking unit.

I appreciate international tournaments are mostly won by defensively sound teams who keep tight but usually those teams also have world class defenders and keepers in their side which massively helps - we don't so we should be focusing on our strength which is attacking and concentrating on hurting the other side rather than waiting to be attacked by them.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Nations League & other international football, October 2022

[tweet]1574854122544762880[/tweet]

He came off the bench to replace Connolly as well

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] How did Sweden get on tonight at home to the mighty Slovenia? Surely you saved yourselves from relegation to the third tier of the UEFA Nations League? ???

And if it did all go pear shaped there's always the World Cup to look forward to in November. Oh, hang on. :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here