Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nations League June 2022

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
GS got a better squad than those two IMO, but yeah you got a decent point - its not a walk in the park to win against any nation in a tournament, and being able to do that shouldn't be underestimated.

The current squad is good with four glaring exceptions.

1) If Kane doesn't play we don't score
2) If the bang average Luke Shaw isn't fit and in form then we use a right footed left back and always cut in instead of turning out and crossing from the byeline.
3) Maguire is TERRIBLE and has been found out by every opposition coach. And, no doubt, people will point to his being selected as an example of Southgate's terribleness but Stones, Dier, Mings and Coady aren't any better. Dunk, everyone on here thinks is but he failed his audition, sadly.
4) Pickford, although after last night hopefully Ramsdale takes over.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Fair enough, so how would you feel about them swapping jobs?

I think I might kill myself or set Swansman on TB to fulfil one of his bucket list wishes :lolol:

It's a bullshit hypothetical question.

Potter may well go to England after the World Cup if Southgate goes and that's what he wants but Southgate won't come here. We'll have a list of club coaches, some obvious, many less so, to work through.

That doesn't mean Southgate isn't a good coach, simply that he's not right for us. A lot of the time he's covering for the four weaknesses I just highlighted to Swanny.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

2) If the bang average Luke Shaw isn't fit and in form then we use a right footed left back and always cut in instead of turning out and crossing from the byeline.
3) Maguire is TERRIBLE and has been found out by every opposition coach. And, no doubt, people will point to his being selected as an example of Southgate's terribleness but Stones, Dier, Mings and Coady aren't any better. Dunk, everyone on here thinks is but he failed his audition, sadly.

I think you have lost it, are you suggesting that Southgate hasn’t got other options for these “out of form” or non scoring players? The guy is a clown for sticking with them given the other players he could bring in to replace them. He doesn’t have to stick with his favourites. FFS

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I think you have lost it, are you suggesting that Southgate hasn’t got other options for these “out of form” or non scoring players? The guy is a clown for stiking with them

You don't seem to be able to read properly. Let's repeat my post in simpler words.

We have no "good" left backs apart from Luke Shaw.

Harry Kane is our only goalscorer.

Our centre back options are limited at best.

We don't have a world class keeper (like, say, Donnarumma).

Now let's look at last night.

GS tried Abraham who has had a good season at Roma. He tried Ramsdale who seems far better than Pickford. We controlled the game for large periods, had a good performance, drew against the European champions and would have won if Mount hadn't hit the bar or Sterling missed from two yards.

Now, let's insert some Brighton words in there. Change "GS" to "GP", "Abraham" to "Connolly" and "at Roma" to "in the U23s". Change "Ramsdale" to "Sanchez" and "Pickford" to "Ryan". Change "Mount" to "Trossard" and "Sterling" to "Maupay". Brighton 2020/21 summed up.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

1. Neal Maupay doesn't score = "the coachs fault, why aren't they practicing shooting? Why is Bruno the attacking coach?". Jack Grealish, Raheem Sterling, Jadon Sancho, Marcus Rashford (thats like £500m of football players) & co doesn't score = "naw, poor GS who only has Kane".

2. Left back position is obviously a weakness. But at the same time, out of the 211 FIFA nations like 190 or something would love to have someone like Solly March, Dan Burn, Matt Targett or Aaron Cresswell as their left back. No one is forcing GS to play a right footed LB.

3. I think there are at least five English CBs who are better than Maguire (who is not exactly as bad as people think but really shouldn't play in United or the English NT).

4. I think Pickford usually does well for England but either way there really isn't anything preventing GS to pick one of the better keepers, like Ramsdale or Pope.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
1. Neal Maupay doesn't score = "the coachs fault, why aren't they practicing shooting? Why is Bruno the attacking coach?". Jack Grealish, Raheem Sterling, Jadon Sancho, Marcus Rashford (thats like £500m of football players) & co doesn't score = "naw, poor GS who only has Kane".

2. Left back position is obviously a weakness. But at the same time, out of the 211 FIFA nations like 190 or something would love to have someone like Solly March, Dan Burn, Matt Targett or Aaron Cresswell as their left back. No one is forcing GS to play a right footed LB.

3. I think there are at least five English CBs who are better than Maguire (who is not exactly as bad as people think but really shouldn't play in United or the English NT).

4. I think Pickford usually does well for England but either way there really isn't anything preventing GS to pick one of the better keepers, like Ramsdale or Pope.

Your point was we had a better squad. In key areas down the spine we don't. It's really up to the clubs to coach their forwards as England get them for a few days a year. And Ramsdale was picked last night, yet the usual suspects battered Southgate. And all our centre backs are overrated.

You're right to a degree about LWB/LBs. Burn should never, ever play there again and it's probably March's second best position but Targett or Cresswell could both do a better job there than Tripper for at least a portion of the game. However, when you have 5 of the best right backs in Europe the temptation to use one must be great. No one batters Steve Clarke for playing Robertson and Tierney.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You don't seem to be able to read properly. Let's repeat my post in simpler words.

We have no "good" left backs apart from Luke Shaw.

Harry Kane is our only goalscorer.

Our centre back options are limited at best.

We don't have a world class keeper (like, say, Donnarumma).

Now let's look at last night.

GS tried Abraham who has had a good season at Roma. He tried Ramsdale who seems far better than Pickford. We controlled the game for large periods, had a good performance, drew against the European champions and would have won if Mount hadn't hit the bar or Sterling missed from two yards.

Now, let's insert some Brighton words in there. Change "GS" to "GP", "Abraham" to "Connolly" and "at Roma" to "in the U23s". Change "Ramsdale" to "Sanchez" and "Pickford" to "Ryan". Change "Mount" to "Trossard" and "Sterling" to "Maupay". Brighton 2020/21 summed up.

No need to resort to being plain rude, I know it’s hard for you so I can live with it

Left backs who could be tried - Henry, Mitchell, Richards. Cresswell is an option too

Centre backs - Dunk or Webster, Tarkowski

Nowt wrong with Ramsdale, better option than Pickford imo

Forwards - Eze, Toney and those that are already in the squad

With a better manager and tactics those who are already in the squad could also do much better

If you really believe Southgate is a world class manager it is going to be impossible to convince you that we should be doing better than we have done in the current tournament but as I’ve only watched one abysmal performance I am a bit hamstrung in disagreeing with your rather arrogant summary.

Your Albion comparisons are just plain silly

SpongebobSquarepants

Jun 16, 2006
Sunny Worthing

Dunk played once for England in a 3-0 win. How did he fail his audition again?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

The suggestion was he didn’t really fit in with the other players and got mugged off in training a bit.

Contrast with Coady and how much Southgate rates just having him around the squad what he did for morale during the euros it’s obviously a big thing for Southgate [emoji2375] I don’t think he’s deliberately spiting England just because Dunk is Brighton

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Your point was we had a better squad. In key areas down the spine we don't. It's really up to the clubs to coach their forwards as England get them for a few days a year. And Ramsdale was picked last night, yet the usual suspects battered Southgate. And all our centre backs are overrated.

You're right to a degree about LWB/LBs. Burn should never, ever play there again and it's probably March's second best position but Targett or Cresswell could both do a better job there than Tripper for at least a portion of the game. However, when you have 5 of the best right backs in Europe the temptation to use one must be great. No one batters Steve Clarke for playing Robertson and Tierney.

England doesn't have a problem with goal scorers. This season 12 English players scored 10+ goals in the PL. That number was 7 back in 2009/10 when Capello was bossing, and 5 in 2015/16 when Roy Hodgson was the manager.

If you have access to Foden, Bowen, Grealish, Sterling, Sancho, Toney, Abraham, Watkins - to mention a couple - and your only chance to score is through Kane, then you're doing something wrong.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Nutmegged in Ingerlund training by some tittering top six wanker.
(Who failed to get past him in the league)

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
How many people are actually watching this. I’ve not watched any of it.

It’s summer. These PL players will be knackered come the start of the season.

What’s the point? It’s summer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Don't know how many of you watched the three Ireland games - two dire losses - and then a 3-0 against a very poor Scottish side (that on paper is more talented). The games showed that Stepehen Kenny is still out of his depth. The losses against Armenia and Ukraine were both down to his ineptitute and the win against Scotland was the result of three outstanding performances from Michael Obafemi, Troy Parrott and Jason Knight - and the fact that the forward players effectively ignored Kenny's 'system' during the game. The good stretch of games from Ireland coincided with the presence of Anthony Barry on the coaching staff (first team coach at Chelsea) - he was with Ireland for a year and left a couple of months ago to take ther same job with Belgium. Since he left Kenny has reverted to type. When you have some talented players and a bad coach you are going to get some dire results sprinkled in with the odd good one when the players produce the result. In my view England are in the same boat - I never rated Southgate as a manager and always felt that it was the players that were responsible for the good performances, not him. England have a lot of talented players - Southgate isn't getting anything close to the best out of them.

Shane Duffy played all three games for Ireland - and he has made numerous mistakes that put Ireland under pressure during each game. You can hear every Irish supporter hold their breath when Duffy has the ball at his feet.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Shane Duffy played all three games for Ireland - and he has made numerous mistakes that put Ireland under pressure during each game. You can hear every Irish supporter hold their breath when Duffy has the ball at his feet.

Much the same as Albion fans since Potter took over. I love Shane's never say die attitude but he is just not good enough for top level football unless it's all hands to the pump Hughtonball. I hope he gets a transfer and plenty of game time next season.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Much the same as Albion fans since Potter took over. I love Shane's never say die attitude but he is just not good enough for top level football unless it's all hands to the pump Hughtonball. I hope he gets a transfer and plenty of game time next season.

He is the type of player that will do a really good job when you have to defend deep - what Brighton needed at the time. But he can't play a high line and can't pass the ball. He would do a good job for a Championship side that doesn't try and pass the ball out from the back - but I suspect that he will see out his contract at Brighton - no Championship team is going to pay him £50K a week.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He is the type of player that will do a really good job when you have to defend deep - what Brighton needed at the time. But he can't play a high line and can't pass the ball. He would do a good job for a Championship side that doesn't try and pass the ball out from the back - but I suspect that he will see out his contract at Brighton - no Championship team is going to pay him £50K a week.

One of the reasons we got promoted to the PL, I'd have no problem with him seeing out his contract, but isn't he on record as saying recently that he wants game time next season. Barring a catastrophic CB injury crisis he won't get that at the Albion,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here