Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nations League June 2022

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well you're in luck, there's more Nations League action over the next three days, with England facing Hungary again on Tuesday night

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

Yeah for a moment I forgot that it appears to be never-ending.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
An England international match, live in free to air TV - I can't believe how uninterested I was. Shame Ben White's probably now missed his chance for the World Cup.

On the plus side, his stock will remain high when England get a proper manager in February

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I turned the sound down and listened to the Bowie documentary on Radio 4. And that wasn't very good either (rather a lot of rewriting of history) but still an improvement.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’ve just seen that we are bottom of our mini league, must be because our world beaters are tired I guess. We are better than all the other teams in our league aren’t we?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Great weeks for Sweden this. 3 losses, two of them against Norway, and ELEVEN players injured. All of it for no good reason.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I don't think the depressing football in these games in all down to Southgate , from the bits I have seen ALL the teams we played looked tired and uninterested.Not just England
If you think about it, these players have basically not had a proper break since "project restart". After that, the league finished late and seemed to start almost immediately, then there were the postponed Euros last summer, then another full League and European Campaign, along with WC Qualifiers, and now the Nations League before starting early for the next League campaign due to the WC in December

I think the Nations league is a good idea, as we all hate the meaningless friendlies, but on this occasion I really think it should have been cancelled until the next one.

Come the world Cup the players who go will have basically played nearly three years without a proper break, and whilst they are all very fit professionals there is only so much the human body can take. It wouldn't surprise me if at the end of the coming season we start to see a massive increase in injuries , as players are simply not being given enough recovery time, and when they are injured they are brought back to early. How many players in the WC Squad will be going carrying knocks and injuries that will prevent them playing the group games again?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yeah, but rebranding it as the ‘Nations League’ doesn’t change the fact that these are still meaningless friendlies. Most people are only interested in international football in real tournaments so it’s mainly for the manager to try new ideas and players. If he doesn’t want to do that then what’s the point ?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yeah, but rebranding it as the ‘Nations League’ doesn’t change the fact that these are still meaningless friendlies. Most people are only interested in international football in real tournaments so it’s mainly for the manager to try new ideas and players. If he doesn’t want to do that then what’s the point ?

Southgate with new ideas? Seriously? :lolol:

One trick pony with favourites.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Southgate with new ideas? Seriously? :lolol:

One trick pony with favourites.

Pretty bloody good trick to get England into a semi and a final in the two tournaments he's managed in. Not sure there were many other ponies in the stable who could have done that.

SpongebobSquarepants

Jun 16, 2006
Sunny Worthing
Pretty bloody good trick to get England into a semi and a final in the two tournaments he's managed in. Not sure there were many other ponies in the stable who could have done that.

Wish people would stop quoting this. Who did we actually beat in these tournaments. A poor Germany and a load of ordinary teams. In the final against Italy we did not have one shot on goal after scoring in first 5 minutes.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Hard, no impossible, to argue with you but we could and should have won both tournaments if we’d had a better manager…imo. We failed VERY badly in the defeats in both the semi and final, again just imo

Southgate is not good enough to change things against decent sides when we are on top. He is totally predictable which is why we couldn’t get over the line. We should have continued to press against Italy but we let them back into the game having blown them away in the first 15. We were on the back foot for the rest of the game as Italy made adjustments that he didn’t have the nous to counter.

Name me one game where he changed things around once we were pegged back, or even looked like we’d come back.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Wish people would stop quoting this. Who did we actually beat in these tournaments. A poor Germany and a load of ordinary teams. In the final against Italy we did not have one shot on goal after scoring in first 5 minutes.

Let's just compare that to Capello's 2010 team who drew against the mighty Algeria and USA and steamrollered that well known football powerhouse Slovenia 1-0 so that we could get beaten 4-1 by Germany (who we beat in '21) in the round of sixteen.

A squad that contained Carragher, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney and Ashley Cole.

Or perhaps Roy's stellar performance in 2016 squeaking past Wales, Russia and Slovakia to lose to Iceland in the knock outs.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Let's just compare that to Capello's 2010 team who drew against the mighty Algeria and USA and steamrollered that well known football powerhouse Slovenia 1-0 so that we could get beaten 4-1 by Germany (who we beat in '21) in the round of sixteen.

Or perhaps Roy's stellar performance in 2016 squeaking past Wales, Russia and Slovakia to lose to Iceland in the knock outs.

I love that you have so much faith in Southgate with an array of quality players but constantly look for fault with GP who is a pauper in PL players available in comparison

It really is all about results with you isn’t it, yet England are currently a shambles and yet you have so much faith :shrug:

Genuine question, would you like Southgate to replace GP?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

GS got a better squad than those two IMO, but yeah you got a decent point - its not a walk in the park to win against any nation in a tournament, and being able to do that shouldn't be underestimated.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I love that you have so much faith in Southgate with an array of quality players but constantly look for fault with GP who is a pauper in PL players available in comparison

It really is all about results with you isn’t it, yet England are currently a shambles and yet you have so much faith :shrug:

Genuine question, would you like Southgate to replace GP?

Yes, it's all about results. Sport is all about results. Every sport has a winner and a loser. Southgate came closer to being an ultimate winner than anyone since 1966 with England and GP has just had Brighton achieve their best ever season. Makes them about even to any impartial judge,

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, it's all about results. Sport is all about results. Every sport has a winner and a loser. Southgate came closer to being an ultimate winner than anyone since 1966 with England and GP has just had Brighton achieve their best ever season. Makes them about even to any impartial judge,

Fair enough, so how would you feel about them swapping jobs?

I think I might kill myself or set Swansman on TB to fulfil one of his bucket list wishes :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here