Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nationalise Port Talbot?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Would it not be better for the UK to insist that British made steel is used on major build projects like HS2 . This i guess clashes with EU competition laws , but hey ho !

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
In a few years, when we have no steel industry, the Chinese are going to say "that steel we were charging you $50 a tonne for in 2016, we now want $150 a tonne because we know you can't make your own".
And we'll have to bend over and take it.
Not propping it up is dogmatic lunacy.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In a few years, when we have no steel industry, the Chinese are going to say "that steel we were charging you $50 a tonne for in 2016, we now want $150 a tonne because we know you can't make your own".
And we'll have to bend over and take it.
Not propping it up is dogmatic lunacy.

As you say, short term economic decisions with massive long term consequences.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
4000 or 5000 jobs is just collateral damage to this government's two-nation ethos.
Add to that they can blame most job losses on the Welsh Assembly and you can guarantee fair words aplenty but little in the way of action

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You make an essential point though about profitability - is that the only measure of the importance of an industry or service?

For some yes, it is, sadly.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Would it not be better for the UK to insist that British made steel is used on major build projects like HS2 . This i guess clashes with EU competition laws , but hey ho !

The UK gets one major megaproject every 50 years because of nimbys haha

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm a sheet metal worker. The problem with Tata is that they make crap steel. A lot of our suppliers now source from China because Tata had some quality issues with their coils.

I was folding a job only a month ago and the material kept splitting, it's not supposed to. Was traced back to Tata plant at Port Talbot.

If you make sub standard steel, buyers will notice and buy from elsewhere. We try and actively avoid Tata where possible.

Nub of the issue ? Rubbish product being produced at high cost = unsustainable business

I'm out.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sheffield survived when all the steel mills closed due to cheap Spanish imports. Nobody liked it but it happened.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
If cheap Chinese steel is to blame, pay British steel workers the same as their Chinese counterparts and reduce the cost of British steel

I take it that was a tongue in cheek comment or maybe just crass stupidity?

It is difficult to find exact info, but the best I can find is that Chinese steel workers may earn up to $330 a month, approximately £230 - let's see the good men (and women) of Port Talbot live on that, shall we?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Huge chunks of the UK rail industry and the UK electricity industry are state owned. It's just that the state that owns these chunks of UK industry isn't the UK.

Brilliant - like selling the Dartford Crossing to the French and re-branding it Le Crossing as happened previously!

Or 4 of the Big 6 utility companies being owned by French, German and Spanish companies.

We are selling all our industry to the cheapest buyer or allowing it to fail - ultimately we will all work in service industries or McDonalds! :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hhhmm, not being part of the EU doesn't appear to have much of an effect on China's ability to trade worldwide...

Interestingly though, does the EU have greater clout to negotiate their steel price collectively? If we are on our own relying on China's steel prices, could we be held to ransom if we are such a small consumer compared to the other markets?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Interestingly though, does the EU have greater clout to negotiate their steel price collectively? If we are on our own relying on China's steel prices, could we be held to ransom if we are such a small consumer compared to the other markets?

no. the most the EU can do is raise tariffs (well they could impose outright restrictions but then WTO rule problems). and in this case simply raising tariffs on Chinese imports would not increase the price of domestic produce as the world market would still be suppressed, while increasing the cost base for anyone with a supply contract from China. further, it would not address the problems of manufacturing and overhead costs at Talbot and other plants.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Thing is here it is more about China flooding the market with extremely cheap steel. I guess your scenario will come about when China has killed off all the opposition, then they can charge what they like, then it would get interesting!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here