[Football] Nathan Jones

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Those are precisely the two reasons why I thought he'd struggle. I can see why an ambititous manager would want to move but he was sitting pretty in League I with Luton. He could have had another promotion on his CV and move four months later for a club with better prospects. A club recently out of the PL would have a bunch of deluded players that an inexperienced manager was going to struggle with. Stoke should have picked someone like BFS to sort that out.

Jones is young; he could have bided his time. Now, he's tainted with failure

I'm sure 40 grand a week was factor, and they now have to pay his contract up.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Some Pompey fans would like him to go there if he got the boot at Stoke (open to see the responses)...

[tweet]1179661011684605959[/tweet]

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Nathan Jones to be let go by Stoke at 11am.

Hughton to be announced as his replacement at 6pm.

Hughton to replace Jones as manager ... for the second time

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Some Pompey fans would like him to go there if he got the boot at Stoke (open to see the responses)...

[tweet]1179661011684605959[/tweet]

They are absolutely clueless. We had a Luton STH at work who was very relaxed about Jones going well before he actually did so. He explainined then that Luton have a very decent backroom team considering the size of the club and considering that this Luton job is the only job in management Jones has had, it's not hard to draw the conclusion now that he's actually bang average.

Therefore I would love it if he ended up at the skate tw4ts,

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
They are absolutely clueless. We had a Luton STH at work who was very relaxed about Jones going well before he actually did so. He explainined then that Luton have a very decent backroom team considering the size of the club and considering that this Luton job is the only job in management Jones has had, it's not hard to draw the conclusion now that he's actually bang average.

I'd prefer they appointed someone who was way below average ..... Like Adkins or someone

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I don't really think his football coaching is the issue - I think he just thinks he is better than he is too soon

Managing at a lower level. Someone with his lack of experience and less than glittering playing career can sometimes get away with the self confident bordering on arrogant attitude; however, once you try to do that with players who are in some cases International players. They are going to turn on you if you don't treat them with respect. ''Man Management'' is the most important thing in when managing a football club. Nathan doesn't have that skill, I feel YET.

I think he will learn from his time at Stoke. If he doesn't then he will won't have many more jobs in Football Management at the higher levels. I have seen the way he interacts with people in social circles and my first thought, watching from a distance was ''By God You're full of yourself'' and that doesn't endear you to some people. You need inner confidence but as soon as you start to express it outwardly then you are bound to alienate some people.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
What a lot of these young, fledgling managers forget is that they have ( potentially ) longer management careers ahead of them, than they had playing careers. Jones started at Luton when he was 42 years old and did well. His CV was getting better and better. He didn't have to gamble everything to go to Stoke ( his own words ) to earn more money and manage a bigger club , with far more pressure. One or two seasons in the Championship, doing fairly well, with limited resources and other clubs ( some better suited to him ) would have come calling. He needed to get a feel for the unforgiving nature of the Championship with Luton before taking on a challenge like Stoke. He needed to test himself as well.
He took on a challenge just a bit too daunting too soon. Time will tell if he is humble enough to regroup, learn and move on.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Still very much the manager and taking todays Press Conference, looks like he will be in charge for at least Saturdays game at Swansea.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Still very much the manager and taking todays Press Conference, looks like he will be in charge for at least Saturdays game at Swansea.

Lets' hpe so. I've a feeling though that this is just going to be prolonging the agony, if they lost so dismally at home to a very poor bottom of the table Huddersfield side, how are they going to fare at high flying Swansea?

Perhaps a visit to his homeland will bring him some much needed luck.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Chris Hughton has turned the job down apparently (Stoke Sentinel) - hence Jones being shoved out for the press conference.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I take it all back:dunce:

Hughton probably saw Stoke City for what the club is at present. A shit shower. Jones is on a hiding to nothing. No doubt wants to be let out of his misery.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Lets' hpe so. I've a feeling though that this is just going to be prolonging the agony, if they lost so dismally at home to a very poor bottom of the table Huddersfield side, how are they going to fare at high flying Swansea?

Perhaps a visit to his homeland will bring him some much needed luck.

He's from Cardiff so will want to beat the Jacks.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I take it all back:dunce:

Hughton probably saw Stoke City for what the club is at present. A shit shower. Jones is on a hiding to nothing. No doubt wants to be let out of his misery.

''Keep Up'' - See first Paragraph of post #214

D

Deleted member 2719

Probably coz most of the people they want to take over don't want the job -- Stoke have waited too long to sack him. Yes - whoever goes in will keep them up but the candidates they want will be aiming for the PL and Stoke are so far adrift now, that's gonna be difficult. Almost impossible so they won't touch it.

On top of that Nathan has signed 12 players - Mostly trash who can hardly hold down a place in a team that he assembled. You don't sign a striker like Lee Gregory if you want to chase promotion. He just hasn't got that sort of goal scoring instinct. he misses more than he scores. Any new Manager will be stuck with that lot of players for the next 3 to 4 months.

No one can take away from Nathan what he did at Luton but you people can slate Stoke all they want but they have backed Jones in terms of playing staff. He just doesn't have it to cope with players bigger than him. He is quite arrogant in the way he speaks and a lot of his ''Bravado'' has come back to haunt him.

His interview after last nights match you could see he is total broken, which is a pity. I don't like to see that happen to anyone.

So have I missed something? What has Nathan actually done to you???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports