Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nathan Jones

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Just thought you may like to know . . .Stoke just lost at home to Huddersfield. That makes it 100/1 on that Nathan Jones will get the sack. . . . . . Over the last 6 games Stoke has scored 4 goals with 11 against . .that's 27% . . . . . . Albion's tally over the last 6 games is 17%. . . . . .

He has won 4 out of 34 games. Potter had had 7. Slight difference.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Feel sorry for him. Should have stayed at Luton, and/or waited for something better than Stoke to come along. Which would have been pretty much any job. Stoke was an awful move to choose, poisoned chalice.

All very easy in hindsight. But he's an ambitious bloke, offered a job at a FAR bigger club than Luton, one with parachute payments, and were one of the bookies favourites to be there or thereabouts. He probably trebled his money going there, and will get a handsome payoff when they bin him off. He'll probably end up at another L1 club in due course, but with his bank balance considerably enhanced.

I'd have done the same.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Astonishingly still not been sacked, looks like he's got the game on Saturday at least.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
All very easy in hindsight. But he's an ambitious bloke, offered a job at a FAR bigger club than Luton, one with parachute payments, and were one of the bookies favourites to be there or thereabouts. He probably trebled his money going there, and will get a handsome payoff when they bin him off. He'll probably end up at another L1 club in due course, but with his bank balance considerably enhanced.

I'd have done the same.

Agreed. I really don't understand the "it was always going to be a bad move" crew at all, for all the reasons you state.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Agreed. I really don't understand the "it was always going to be a bad move" crew at all, for all the reasons you state.

Really? If you're a young manager looking to take over at a Championship club looking for PL promotion which do you think makes a more attractive proposition?

a) Managing a former non-league club and taking them to two promotions and out of the relegation zone in the Championship

b) Taking a former PL club to the bottom of the Championship

If you think that clubs will think b the more suitable candidate as manager, I have some magic beans to sell you :smile:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Really? If you're a young manager looking to take over at a Championship club looking for PL promotion which do you think makes a more attractive proposition?

a) Managing a former non-league club and taking them to two promotions and out of the relegation zone in the Championship

If you think that clubs will think b the more suitable candidate as manager, I have some magic beans to sell you :smile:

I've read that a few times and it doesn't make sense - you seem to be speaking with that most wonderful of things: hindsight.

I'll just copy and paste [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION]'s words: "[he was] offered a job at a FAR bigger club than Luton, one with parachute payments, and were one of the bookies favourites to be there or thereabouts."

I think most managers of a club of Luton's stature would have moved to Stoke given the opportunity.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

What a fabulous line - Gonna have to try and squeeze that in somewhere this week - BELTER !

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've read that a few times and it doesn't make sense - you seem to be speaking with that most wonderful of things: hindsight.

Not at all. I don't know if it was on this thread or another but I posted about the time of Jones's move that he was making a mistake: that it was better to stay at Luton, get another club on his CV, than move to a club that's in decline, with a trigger-happy board. That's not hindsight: I was quite clear on my opinion.

Yes, he'd get a short-term boost to his salary but my argument was that, in the long term, it would be better to have a couple of promotions on a CV than one promotion and an ignominious sacking.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Stoke management proving to be the most patient in the football league. I reckon any other club in the four divisions would have sacked by now, including the Albion.

I kinda hope it works out for NJ and Stoke

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Astonishingly still not been sacked, looks like he's got the game on Saturday at least.

Probably coz most of the people they want to take over don't want the job -- Stoke have waited too long to sack him. Yes - whoever goes in will keep them up but the candidates they want will be aiming for the PL and Stoke are so far adrift now, that's gonna be difficult. Almost impossible so they won't touch it.

On top of that Nathan has signed 12 players - Mostly trash who can hardly hold down a place in a team that he assembled. You don't sign a striker like Lee Gregory if you want to chase promotion. He just hasn't got that sort of goal scoring instinct. he misses more than he scores. Any new Manager will be stuck with that lot of players for the next 3 to 4 months.

No one can take away from Nathan what he did at Luton but you people can slate Stoke all they want but they have backed Jones in terms of playing staff. He just doesn't have it to cope with players bigger than him. He is quite arrogant in the way he speaks and a lot of his ''Bravado'' has come back to haunt him.

His interview after last nights match you could see he is total broken, which is a pity. I don't like to see that happen to anyone.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
“ he’ll be gone in not too long “.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If I was Peter Coates I would be in contact with CH unless of course he has and he said thanks but no thanks to the job. CH would be an ideal man to stop the rot and keep them up at least this season and could possibly even get them into a play off position, but they need to do it very soon.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Yes, but half of both those points happened after he left... The choice was:

a) Managing a former non-league club and hopefully taking them to two promotions or

b) Taking over a former PL club with parachute payments.

You'd be a loon to pick a) over b). Realistically, Luton should be a far worse proposition... Stoke have a historically good, loyal owner with a decent fan-base, a decent stadium and bags of Premier league money.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
If I was Peter Coates I would be in contact with CH unless of course he has and he said thanks but no thanks to the job. CH would be an ideal man to stop the rot and keep them up at least this season and could possibly even get them into a play off position, but they need to do it very soon.

This. Not many managers around with Chris s pedigree.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Anyone who thinks Nathan Jones should have turned down Stoke is a bit simple.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here