Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nathan Jones

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
None of the Burkers were justified in slating him.

He was working to a timetable and it's widely believed he delivered, on time and on (possibly under) budget.

Tony Bloom has said that transfers were only a small part of David Burke's job. The much acclaimed academy is also down to him as Director of Football.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Tony Bloom has said that transfers were only a small part of David Burke's job. The much acclaimed academy is also down to him as Director of Football.

I thought that was Martin Perry's baby?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
His mandate is planning and building, not football operations.

I misunderstood. I'm not sure our academy on the footballing front is that acclaimed yet is it? The physical structure certainly is though.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Copied & pasted from the Albion Almanac - a transcipt from the Fans Forum

Q. How do you measure the success of David Burke?

TB: It’s my job to see that he does a very good job. He’s not just involved in recruitment,
he’s involved in the whole academy process. With John Morling and many others at the
football club, he’s done a tremendous job in getting category one status.
David and the team have come a long way organisationally in the football department,
in all the areas that help the football team and the manager. It’s my job to make sure that
David and his team do the right things and do a good job, and right now I am very happy

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
None of the Burkers were justified in slating him.

He was working to a timetable and it's widely believed he delivered, on time and on (possibly under) budget.

Hmmm. Sorry, but we were very poorly prepared for the first two league games, and paid the price in 6 lost points. 6 points could easily be the difference between auto and playoffs or, more likely, mid-table and playoffs. Just look at our last 2 seasons. What's promotion to the Prem worth now? £100M+ isn't it? So, I wholeheartedly disagree. At the very least, the timetable was wrong. Also, Sami went public with his player recruitment frustrations at the start of the season (justifiably), and later went public with his praise for the recruitment work done once we finally plugged the huge gaps in our squad (again justifiably). Who are you to disagree with him?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Copied & pasted from the Albion Almanac - a transcipt from the Fans Forum

Q. How do you measure the success of David Burke?

TB: It’s my job to see that he does a very good job. He’s not just involved in recruitment,
he’s involved in the whole academy process. With John Morling and many others at the
football club, he’s done a tremendous job in getting category one status.
David and the team have come a long way organisationally in the football department,
in all the areas that help the football team and the manager. It’s my job to make sure that
David and his team do the right things and do a good job, and right now I am very happy

... and then TB proceeded to sign-up that guy from Derby to help Burke recruit players...

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Hmmm. Sorry, but we were very poorly prepared for the first two league games, and paid the price in 6 lost points. 6 points could easily be the difference between auto and playoffs or, more likely, mid-table and playoffs. Just look at our last 2 seasons. What's promotion to the Prem worth now? £100M+ isn't it? So, I wholeheartedly disagree. At the very least, the timetable was wrong. Also, Sami went public with his player recruitment frustrations at the start of the season (justifiably), and later went public with his praise for the recruitment work done once we finally plugged the huge gaps in our squad (again justifiably). Who are you to disagree with him?

I tend to agree, whatever we saved by waiting until the last minute on our signings could be petty cash to what we'll lose if we miss out on auto by 6 points or less. Both of those games would have been winnable with some of the later acquisitions.

This was TB's gamble though and it is his ball.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I tend to agree, whatever we saved by waiting until the last minute on our signings could be petty cash to what we'll lose if we miss out on auto by 6 points or less. Both of those games would have been winnable with some of the later acquisitions.

Fair point. As above, I think the recruitment guy we got in from Derby (Paul something or other) will help us get players in a little more timely too...

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
... and then TB proceeded to sign-up that guy from Derby to help Burke recruit players...

It's weird and almost certainly unrelated but the night we played Crawley pre-season,there was a couple of vehicles in a car park in Crawley with DERBY COUNTY IN THE COMMUNITY.....i thought what the Earth are they doing down here..as you were

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Yes, those first two results were disappointing - and we were dreadful at Birmingham, really looking like relegation standard that day - so it would have been good to have got some of the business done a bit quicker. Wonder how much the delay was due to a close season change of manager - again? The 'shopping list' might have had to be revised when Sami was appointed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

You're both writing on the assumption that our new signings wanted to come and the club delayed the process.

Chances are there were 101 different reasons why each signing took longer than we would have liked, and I'd hazard a guess the bulk of those would have been agent horse trading.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Glad to see that our next manager is building a fan base.
His inevitable eventual appointment with Inigo Calderon as his number two should ensure a smooth transition when the time comes. :lolol:

That's not a bad shout! The steely eyed no nonsense Welshman at the helm with everyone's favourite, the Brilliant Basque at his side.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

For context here's what Tony Bloom said about this argument about being prepared for Sheff Weds/Birmingham.

I’ve heard this argument before. I totally refute it. We didn’t give people a 6 point start. Obviously we didn’t want to lose our first two games. We had every chance of winning those games. In an ideal world we would have had our full squad but it wasn’t possible. Its just not possible in the real world. Against Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham we had teams more than capable of winning”
via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BRNNm6AsRo

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You're both writing on the assumption that our new signings wanted to come and the club delayed the process.

Chances are there were 101 different reasons why each signing took longer than we would have liked, and I'd hazard a guess the bulk of those would have been agent horse trading.

Again, fair point. And we'll probably never know. One example - I have been told (club source once removed) that Ward really, really wanted to sign for us early close season and was quite frustrated that we delayed our higher bids for him until too late. Of course, he's happy to be with a Prem club now.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
For context here's what Tony Bloom said about this argument about being prepared for Sheff Weds/Birmingham.

via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BRNNm6AsRo

This is where independent thought is required, you know, having your own opinions, rather than just sucking up every single quote our beloved leaders put out. And, believe me, I'm one of Tony's biggest fans.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Again, fair point. And we'll probably never know. One example - I have been told (club source once removed) that Ward really, really wanted to sign for us early close season and was quite frustrated that we delayed our higher bids for him until too late. Of course, he's happy to be with a Prem club now.
It would seem the Ward deal was held up by a few hundred thousand pounds :lol: :facepalm: (part of my gripe about this thread).
I'd imagine the club will have some regrets about letting him go.
For me the most heartening thing about the Ward non deal was how quickly we moved in on his replacement.
Who was pretty impressive on debut.

Not to mention Chicksen now only has one more season to gain the starter shirt.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It would seem the Ward deal was held up by a few hundred thousand pounds :lol: :facepalm: (part of my gripe about this thread).
I'd imagine the club will have some regrets about letting him go.
For me the most heartening thing about the Ward non deal was how quickly we moved in on his replacement.
Who was pretty impressive on debut.

Not to mention Chicksen now only has one more season to gain the starter shirt.

Again, I agree. On early evidence, we may well have got a player more suited to our style in JB. Although I blame him for the second Charlton goal.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This is where independent thought is required, you know, having your own opinions, rather than just sucking up every single quote our beloved leaders put out. And, believe me, I'm one of Tony's biggest fans.

Exactly how I feel. To say we were ready for Birmingham and Sheff Wed is nonsense.

Still, whilst forever in his debt, he can be and is allowed to be wrong sometimes.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Again, I agree. On early evidence, we may well have got a player more suited to our style in JB. Although I blame him for the second Charlton goal.

Its all ifs and buts. If only we'd got all our business done by July 30th. If only Crofts wasn't sent off, our manager didn't change at end of last season, Stephens and March weren't injured at season start, Coke didn't score a wonder goal for SWeds, Ward didn't have his head turned by Burnley, We didn't play poorly against Birmingham despite a half decent side...These things happen. thats football.
Bloom admits himself that Ward especially was frustrating that it didn't happen, he wished he'd 1-2 had more players in before Aug 9th, that the teams for the first two matches were winnable line ups, we didn't get all our targets (who does ?) and that he was pleased all our business was eventually done with a few days to spare...
On the other hand , we do have a decent squad now with some fantastic new players, a talented young manager and assistant manager, 7 points out of 9, we're looking good for a long cup run, and 41 games left with a good run of winnable games coming up. Whats your beef ?
What do you want to change ? Personnel ? Bloom / Barber/ Burke ?

Sounds like they are well aware of the flaws of the transfer window and the last few months.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here