Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NASA releases a 4.3GB image that shows a small portion of the Andromeda Galaxy!

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I have two questions:

How does the universe end. I mean surely it can't be infinite can it. But at the same time it's just space so how can it stop you going any further?

Secondly what would the universe have looked like before the Big Bang?

You haven't seen the Truman show then?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Of course they wouldn't, but we haven't made that discovery.
But is it possible that that kind of discovery ever be made? If the answer is yes it's possible, then that means there's much more chance of finding life on a googol of planets than on a few. I'll explain:

A) Chance of it not being possible for life to just start in the right atmosphere etc = x%
therefore
B) Chance of it being possible for life to just start in the right atmosphere etc = y% = (100%-x%)

If scenario B were correct, chance of finding life on 1 planet = 1/z

If there are 42 planets, chance of finding life on one of those planets = 42 * y% * 1/z
If there are a googol of planets, chance of finding life on one = 10[SUP]100 [/SUP]* y% * 1/z

So without knowing whether scenario A or B is correct, we know that there is more chance of finding life elsewhere if there are more planets. Which should have been blindingly obvious to everyone.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's impossible to say whether there is life on other planets, or calculate any kind of probability when we only know of one planet with life - and we don't understand how it came to be in the first place.

Be honest, which do you really think is the more likely: that life exists in more than one planet in the countless billions of planets, or that it doesn't? There's already serious scientific talk of water not originating on earth but coming to us via a collision from a meteor/comet. If that's the case, seems a perfectly logical follow-on that the basic building blocks of life could have come to us via the same route. Easily imaginable that there's a giant celestial snowball fight taking place out there in the cosmos shirley?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
...but equally the answer could be no, it's not possible. Which if true, could mean that there are no other planets with life.
Firstly, since we're talking about probabilities I wouldn't use the word equally unless it meant exactly that. If it's not possible for life to just start under the right circumstances, then how did we get here - would that mean there is a god? Ignoring that for a moment, let's just go with the idea that scenario A would mean no life could form elsewhere, then no other planets would have life no matter how many of them there are. But there is a chance that scenario B is true. Since we don't know if scenario A or B is true, we're left with the equation I've put above, which is that there's more chance of life on another planet if there are more planets.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Riddle me this:

What's at the start of eternity, the end of time and space, the beginning of every end and end of every place?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Can you see the Amex?

no but I can see FFS playing for palace
seriously I have just played the vid to my other half and watching it again is just astounding

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here